Hiking Colorado's Collegiate Peak Wilderness, June 2024

Mikjik86

This was an attempted hike on Thursday June 13th, 2024 of Colorado 13ers Mt. Hope A and Quail Mountain. Upon discovering the trail was closed due to a wildfire near Twin Lakes the plan was modified.

Plan B started at the Missouri Gulch Trailhead with hopes to climb 13ers Emerald Peak and Iowa Peak. This plan was thwarted by snow and unfavorable conditions which I knew making the summits would be difficult with my time window.

Plan C was checking out the old ghost towns of Winfield and the Leavick Townsite, which was very successful.

I decided to make the best of my time out in the area and do some ghost town exploring and future camp scouting. This area is absolutely stunning, and both Winfield and Leavick are worth checking out. There are dozens of campsites along the river while driving along Colorado 390.

Despite this being an unconventional trip as far as The Way Outdoors adventures go, I had great footage from the hike, and exploring the surrounding areas. I drove back to Western Colorado via Independence Pass through Aspen and then Glenwood Springs where I stopped into Casey Blending which has phenomenal beers. Stop in if you get the chance! Casey is right in the heart of Glenwood Springs.

I hope you like this video, thanks for watching.

Safe Trails!!

Way to make the most of your visit. Third time is a charm.
Yeah first time was successful with Belford/Oxford. Second time was a failed attempt at Bel/Ox with some friends due to snow. The third time up the basin proved successful with summiting Missouri. This was my Fourth, and now ill head up one more time for Emerald and Iowa, unless I start at another trailhead which is highly possible. I hope you enjoyed the video.

Back