High Sierra Trail to Mt Whitney through hike

Mike Jones

I finally finished my trip report for the High Sierra Trail to Mt Whitney. I went the first week of June, which is pretty early in the season for this hike. It was both a blessing and a challenge. We had most of the hike to ourselves, we had some amazing campsites all to ourselves. On the flip side we dealt with some dangerous snow conditions, had to improvise with technical trail skills, and navigate by map and compass when the trail would disappear.

Despite all the challenges, this hike was amazing and I love the fact we completed it in early June and had all the challenges we did. I wrote 6 posts detailing each day of the trip, you can read about it in detail here.

Below are my favorite pictures from the trip, I hope you enjoy them!

DSC02466.jpg

DSC02523.jpg

DSC02569.jpg

DSC02592.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02643.jpg

DSC02679.jpg

DSC02706.jpg

DSC02725.jpg

DSC02738.jpg

DSC02804.jpg

DSC02810.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

DSC02873.jpg

DSC02915.jpg

DSC02940-1.jpg

Very nice Mike. I will go read the details on the other site. Great shots. I especially like the cloud shot. The Range of Light !

Very nice Mike. I will go read the details on the other site. Great shots. I especially like the cloud shot. The Range of Light !

Thanks that means a lot, photography is something I am just starting to really take seriously lately. Still have a lot to learn but am getting better each day!

That sunset(?) shot is amazing.

Correct, sunset. This was the night before our Mt Whitney summit. This picture actually has a funny story to go along with it.... I was taking an extended bathroom call when my buddy started yelling for me. I was behind a big rock and had no idea what was going on. He doe not know much about photography and my camera was in manual mode, so he couldn't figure out how to take the picture..... I made it back just in time to catch that photo lol.

Love it!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman High Sierra Trail Backpacking 23
Mike Jones High Sierra Trail to Mt Whitney Trip Planning 11
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
balzaccom My second mystery novel set in the High Sierra is now out! General Discussion 6
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
fossana Palisades Roundabout (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
fossana Evolution Loop (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 10
balzaccom Mystery set in the High Sierra General Discussion 4
Tarp Boy High Sierra Camp Loop, Yosemite, CA Trip Reports 5
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
J Cali: Cinder Cones, High Sierra Rambles, Famous Domes Oct 26-31, 2018 Hiking & Camping 3
fossana Pine Creek/Granite Park fall excursion (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 14
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
Tim Valentine High Sierra Lakes Tour Backpacking 11
Perry Sierra Designs High Route 1FL Tent - Looks interesting Gear 6
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
Kullaberg63 Gore high traverse Backpacking 11
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
travel2walk preventing high altitude (khumbu) cough techniques? Resource Discussions 2
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
Bob Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022 Backpacking 45
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
N Gilbert Meadows- High Uintas Trip Planning 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
C High Uintas Wilderness - Last minute plans Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
fossana A taste of the GR11: 6 Days on the Travesía Pirenaica (High Pyrenees, Spain) Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
DrNed Plan B to High Uintas Backpacking Trip Planning 20
Dave High Uinta sheep grazing EIS General Discussion 2
R Psuedoephedrine at high altitude General Discussion 6
David Rule High Peaks Wilderness-August 2018 Backpacking 1
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
D Wind River High Route Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
Ross High Spur and North Wash Canyoneering 5
westy High Uintas - West Basin Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke High Uintas: Allen Lake and Thunderstorms Backpacking 0
westy High Uintas - Henry's, Painter, Yellowstone, Smith's Backpacking 5
westy High Uintas - Middle Basin Backpacking 5
Luke High elevation uinta campgrounds/lakes General Discussion 9
S Central Utah high alpine suggestions Trip Planning 2
N Which High Uintas overnight hike? Trip Planning 2
mattvogt7 High Water Bruneau On The Water 8
S High alpine in central Utah Trip Planning 4
Devin Ashby Ostler Peak - Amethyst Basin - High Uinta Wilderness Backpacking 0