Hermit Trail to Granite Rapids - backpack in one day?

Janice

Has anyone backpacked from Hermit's Rest all the way to Granite Rapids in one day? We're hoping to do a 3 night trip in the Grand Canyon in April but didn't get any of the itineraries we requested. We really want to get down to the river and currently have the option of Hermit Trailhead to Granite Rapids (at bottom of Monument Creek) for Day 1, then mostly a rest day on Day 2 - just up to Monument Creek, then across Tonto to Indian Garden on Day 3, then up Bright Angel to the top on Day 4. We're a group of 4 (two husband-wife couples) in our mid-50s. We're in pretty good shape with backpacking experience but don't know if this is more than we can manage. Thanks for any advice/info you can offer!

Has anyone backpacked from Hermit's Rest all the way to Granite Rapids in one day? We're hoping to do a 3 night trip in the Grand Canyon in April but didn't get any of the itineraries we requested. We really want to get down to the river and currently have the option of Hermit Trailhead to Granite Rapids (at bottom of Monument Creek) for Day 1, then mostly a rest day on Day 2 - just up to Monument Creek, then across Tonto to Indian Garden on Day 3, then up Bright Angel to the top on Day 4. We're a group of 4 (two husband-wife couples) in our mid-50s. We're in pretty good shape with backpacking experience but don't know if this is more than we can manage. Thanks for any advice/info you can offer!
Hi, I did that trip last year in your reverse order. Starting from Indian garden to Salt Creek to Monument without any trouble. Two years ago went from Indian to monument, makes a long day but doable. I'm 67.

Hi, I did that trip last year in your reverse order. Starting from Indian garden to Salt Creek to Monument without any trouble. Two years ago went from Indian to monument, makes a long day but doable. I'm 67.
Thanks! We're going to give it a try and are excited!

This is absolutely doable. My 13 year old son and I (I am 50) did this as the first leg of a three day two night trip from Hermit Rest to Bright Angel last January. Nice sandy camp spots at Granite. Fantastic sound of the rushing Colorado. No rush to get down there as you can linger in the morning of the second day and then mosey the 1.6 mils up Monument Creek for the second night. Nice camping options at Monument Creek camp. Third day is a little long but mostly flat hiking once you get up to the Tonto trail from Monument Creek camp. Plus the days will be getting longer come April. Indian Garden the perfect place to spend the final night as you prepare for the ascent. This is a classic trip. I have done it both ways with my boys. You will have a wonderful time.

Thank you so much! Your enthusiasm and optimism are terrific and match what we've been thinking, especially about how great it will be to camp down by the rushing river. We're really looking forward to it!

Rodents are terrible at established campsites in the GC. Maybe bring a mouse trapeze. Have fun!

This is absolutely doable. My 13 year old son and I (I am 50) did this as the first leg of a three day two night trip from Hermit Rest to Bright Angel last January. Nice sandy camp spots at Granite. Fantastic sound of the rushing Colorado. No rush to get down there as you can linger in the morning of the second day and then mosey the 1.6 mils up Monument Creek for the second night. Nice camping options at Monument Creek camp. Third day is a little long but mostly flat hiking once you get up to the Tonto trail from Monument Creek camp. Plus the days will be getting longer come April. Indian Garden the perfect place to spend the final night as you prepare for the ascent. This is a classic trip. I have done it both ways with my boys. You will have a wonderful time.
Your description was 100% correct - we did this last week and had a FANTASTIC trip! Everything was great, and we had the added bonus of numerous wildflowers (including blooming cacti). It was just perfect, and I'm so appreciative of you for having provided encouragement 4 months ago. THANK YOU!!!!

Your description was 100% correct - we did this last week and had a FANTASTIC trip! Everything was great, and we had the added bonus of numerous wildflowers (including blooming cacti). It was just perfect, and I'm so appreciative of you for having provided encouragement 4 months ago. THANK YOU!!!!

Hearing about the wildflowers makes me want to do this again in the Spring. I am glad you had a good time. Congratulations on accomplishing an absolutely classic GC trip.