Help on the trail--literally

balzaccom

I spent Saturday with a trail crew outside of Yosemite, working to remove trees and maintain trails in the Sierra National Forest. Just wondering how many here do anything similar....and if anyone else would like to join the crews around Mariposa?

A short summary of the crew here: https://www.backpackthesierra.com/post/more-mariposa-trail-crew-action

When I was a grad student in Boulder I helped the FS build a bridge in the backcountry, but that's all I've ever done. Maybe it's time to get busy.

I've not done anything like this since being a boy scout, I should do it, the Forest Service seems pretty seriously understaffed...

Until the last couple years, I regularly joined Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado projects. I'm hoping to get back out there a few times this year. Anyone else in CO should consider participating - they are generally well organized, productive, and a lot of fun.

Trailwork can be a rewarding experience. I enjoy working with local groups as it is neat to work on something in "my backyard." If you mountain bike at all in Moab and go on the newer "Falcon Flow" trail, you can ride a few of the 10' stretches I worked on. :)

I try to get in a day or two a year along with other outdoor-focused volunteer work currently. You often get fed for trail work! In the past, I tried to get in the equivalent of one workweek a year on trail work.

My wife and I also volunteer as archeological site stewards currently. Though not trail work directly, with so many arc sites in Utah and so few archeologists and technicians to administer the many sites, some eyes and feet on the ground help quite a bit. We take photos, make notes of any changes, do some occasional outreach, and reach out to the authorities if anything terrible happens to a site. (Knock on wood - this has not happened yet!)

Last edited:
When I lived in the Front Range I volunteered at the Eldorado Canyon entrance kiosk, and did invasive plant removal and trail maintenance on the climbers' access trails there an in the Flatirons. It's more ad hoc now. When I hike/run I end up picking up trash, and removing pallets and illegal fire rings on the public lands around my house, partly out of selfish interest in not having our neighborhood torched by some idiot leaving an unattended campfire/bonfire. My neighbors and I removed ~50 pallets last fire season.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Cburton Teton Crest Trail Permit Issues - Help! Trip Planning 15
A Help me with a Trip to Grandaddy and Highline trail Trip Planning 5
U Help with a Winds itinerary Trip Planning 19
wsp_scott Redwoods planning help Trip Planning 6
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
balzaccom The Beatles were right: Help! Trip Planning 0
balzaccom A little help, please? Backpacking 0
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
regehr Help identifying stone tool? General Discussion 6
Miya Down Gear Odor Help Gear 31
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
The Trout Whisperer HELP w/ lightweight chair recommendations!!!!! Gear 3
J Yikes, I need help deciding.... Trip Planning 5
Titans Paw prints, help pls! General Discussion 32
J Need Park City area Hiking help Trip Planning 2
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
pstm13 HELP NEEDED- Idaho in Early June for 2-3 Days Trip Planning 6
JBPHXAZ Dark Canyon Backpacking Help Trip Planning 9
DrNed Need Help With Mosquitoes? General Discussion 2
wsp_scott Help me buy a bike Gear 10
N Avenza IOS app help with Caltopo Resource Discussions 4
o2bav8 10/12/18 - help? General Discussion 12
Jimmy Glacier Route Help Trip Planning 0
TrektheWorld Need help with Uintas trip - camping Trip Planning 8
marquiri Help with Bridger-Teton National Forest Trip Planning 2
MurrMan81 Help Planning Utah Backpacking Trip Trip Planning 9
B Trip Selection Help: Tumble Creek or Sanford-Dadina Plateau (WStE AK) Trip Planning 12
LoneWolfOutdoors Help choosing between two tents Gear 8
Devin Ashby Southern Utah Backpacking Loop Help Trip Planning 9
N Help choosing trekking footwear General Discussion 3
uintahiker App building help General Discussion 10
AKay09 Teton Shuttle Help 8/18 or 8/19 Trip Planning 0
CCoC Yellowstone Itineraries Help Trip Planning 3
DrNed Help With Float Trip Planning Trip Planning 3
genez Teton shuttle help 7/10 ? Trip Planning 23
Artemus Help Requested - Conserving the San Rafael Swell Wilderness - Interested? General Discussion 16
DrNed Help With Water On White Rim Trip Planning 11
AKay09 Yellowstone/Tetons Help Trip Planning 40
WasatchWill Seeking a little help for Fall Break with family in GSENM Trip Planning 4
Outdoors24 Tent help Gear 10
Noun Sequitur Sunglasses Help Gear 15
stu heilsberg Help planning Uintas trip Trip Planning 1
Ross Water Canyon to White Wave (help & invite) Trip Planning 8
Ross Help/Invite:Cape Solitude at rim of Colorado & Little Colorado confluence Trip Planning 0
Nick Waterproof Camera: Help me decide! Gear 16
Ross Help choosing which GPS to hike in USA if buying in UK Gear 2
Blake Merrell Help! First Trip to the Winds. Trip Planning 90
Nick Help me win a float trip down Cataract Canyon General Discussion 19
rich67 Need help gearing up for multi-day paddle..1st time out. Gear 12
bscuderi capitol reef help Trip Planning 7