Help me with a Trip to Grandaddy and Highline trail

Altote

I am new to this site but i have really enjoyed reading reports from this site over the last few months, so i thought i would join and see if you can help me.
I am working with a group of scouts and we are looking at doing a 4 night 4.5 day hike in the Uintas August 12-16.
We are looking to start at the Grandview trail head and go up through the Grandaddy basin and camp around Governor Dern lake. we then plan to go to the Highline trail head where we will exchange a few adult leaders, then head towards the 4 lakes basin then back to the Grandview Trail head. This is about 35 miles from what i can guess.

I am concerned about the reality of this as none of us are experienced, I mean some of us have some experience but i wouldn't say any of us are strong hikers and it would be the first full weight pack hikes for the boys.
My question is how many miles a day would you recommend to our group? and second if it is less miles, do you have a better route suggestion.

Thanks!

How old are the boys?
I would suggest your first day to be light, like about 5 miles.
Doing a pack check before you leave is a must! Some of these kids/parents send them with crazy crap. Like one boy I knew that had TWO grocery bags full of canned food! Or they won't pack their backpack very well...tons of stuff hanging off their pack vs packing it inside. Or they'll bring a ton of candy and nothing with good calories.
Force them to drink a lot of water too.

Thanks Parma for your suggestions, we are definitely doing a pack check, the boys will be ages14-16.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Why not just hang around Grandaddy Basin and do the loop. I would camp at Besty or Grandaddy the first day, and move to a diffrent lake everyday. No sense killing them as the hike up the first day will likley have some of them pretty beat. Not to mention the Shuttle ride will be pretty long. Parma is right, I would go thru there gear and help them fit there packs. With all the blisters, and issues that come up with backpacking when you first start out I would keep it under 5 miles a day and have plenty of time to help and teach them.

With a month left to prepare, I'd also consider giving them a basic fitness program. Especially something that involves some core work and working the legs. Maybe another part would be having them walk up and down a set of stairs with a weighted pack so many times every other day or so?

Assuming you live right here in Utah, you probably have some wilderness only minutes away. See if you can do a short overnighter before the big trip with as many who can so they can get familiar with their gear, get a feel of their packs, etc.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses and tips guys, I will see what i can instigate.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
TrektheWorld Need help with Uintas trip - camping Trip Planning 8
MurrMan81 Help Planning Utah Backpacking Trip Trip Planning 9
B Trip Selection Help: Tumble Creek or Sanford-Dadina Plateau (WStE AK) Trip Planning 12
DrNed Help With Float Trip Planning Trip Planning 3
stu heilsberg Help planning Uintas trip Trip Planning 1
Blake Merrell Help! First Trip to the Winds. Trip Planning 90
Nick Help me win a float trip down Cataract Canyon General Discussion 19
Michael Help, tips, suggestions 4 our upcoming 2015 trip Trip Planning 17
jrh Help me plan my trip (while I'm on it!) Trip Planning 8
Laura Help me decide my next trip! General Discussion 5
jdgibney Help Me Plan Our Trip! Trip Planning 40
U Help with a Winds itinerary Trip Planning 31
wsp_scott Redwoods planning help Trip Planning 6
balzaccom The Beatles were right: Help! Trip Planning 0
balzaccom A little help, please? Backpacking 0
regehr Help identifying stone tool? General Discussion 6
balzaccom Help on the trail--literally General Discussion 7
Miya Down Gear Odor Help Gear 31
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
The Trout Whisperer HELP w/ lightweight chair recommendations!!!!! Gear 3
J Yikes, I need help deciding.... Trip Planning 5
Titans Paw prints, help pls! General Discussion 32
J Need Park City area Hiking help Trip Planning 2
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
pstm13 HELP NEEDED- Idaho in Early June for 2-3 Days Trip Planning 6
JBPHXAZ Dark Canyon Backpacking Help Trip Planning 9
DrNed Need Help With Mosquitoes? General Discussion 2
wsp_scott Help me buy a bike Gear 10
N Avenza IOS app help with Caltopo Resource Discussions 4
o2bav8 10/12/18 - help? General Discussion 12
Jimmy Glacier Route Help Trip Planning 0
marquiri Help with Bridger-Teton National Forest Trip Planning 2
Cburton Teton Crest Trail Permit Issues - Help! Trip Planning 15
LoneWolfOutdoors Help choosing between two tents Gear 8
Devin Ashby Southern Utah Backpacking Loop Help Trip Planning 9
N Help choosing trekking footwear General Discussion 3
uintahiker App building help General Discussion 10
AKay09 Teton Shuttle Help 8/18 or 8/19 Trip Planning 0
CCoC Yellowstone Itineraries Help Trip Planning 3
genez Teton shuttle help 7/10 ? Trip Planning 23
Artemus Help Requested - Conserving the San Rafael Swell Wilderness - Interested? General Discussion 16
DrNed Help With Water On White Rim Trip Planning 11
AKay09 Yellowstone/Tetons Help Trip Planning 40
WasatchWill Seeking a little help for Fall Break with family in GSENM Trip Planning 4
Outdoors24 Tent help Gear 10
Noun Sequitur Sunglasses Help Gear 15
Ross Water Canyon to White Wave (help & invite) Trip Planning 8
Ross Help/Invite:Cape Solitude at rim of Colorado & Little Colorado confluence Trip Planning 0