Help choosing between two tents

I am getting back into backpacking after several decades of zeros.

I could use some help selecting a tent. I have it currently narrowed down to two tents in my price range. I have no allusions of being an ultra-light backpacker (will be carrying too much camera gear), but weight is still somewhat of a concern. These tents are within a pound of each other, and both have features I like and dislike.

Hopefully someone has had experience with these two tents (or two manufacturers) and can give me some guidance. I am trying to do as much research as possible before I buy so I only buy once (learned after the first outing I don't want to be a hammock camper).

My current choices:

Sierra Design Clip Flashlight 2
https://sierradesigns.com/clip-flashlight-2

I like that it has the vestibule that converts to an awning with trekking poles, and that it is a pound lighter than the other.

What I don't like is lack of ventilation when the fly is on. I live in AR and it gets hot and muggy in the summer so ventilation will be a benefit.

Kelty TN2
https://www.kelty.com/tn2/

I like that it has two doors on the sides, and two vestibules. The star gazer fly is a major bonus. Should allow plenty of ventilation in the summer.

What I don't like is the weight. It is heaver than the SD and comes in at 4 pounds 13 ounces compared to the SD at 3 pounds 14 ounces.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
It would be helpful to post links to those tents so people can see them without searching. Front loading tents like the Sierra Designs suck. Side entrance is so much easier and double doors is even better. So between those two choices, the Kelty would be the best option, in my opinion.

Oh, and welcome to BCP!

It would be helpful to post links to those tents so people can see them without searching. Front loading tents like the Sierra Designs suck. Side entrance is so much easier and double doors is even better. So between those two choices, the Kelty would be the best option, in my opinion.

Oh, and welcome to BCP!

Made the changes, being a new member I didn't want to take a chance of violating some rules by posting links.

Something else I think I noticed is... the Kelty is free standing whereas the Sierra Designs has to be staked?

I have an Alps 1 person Lynx which I got for 90.00 and comes in at an actual 4 lbs. It is a very well made tent as all the other Alps tents. I think it depends upon where and when you are hiking. Too me, too much room in a tent when it's cold means a cold tent. A one person tent in monsoon season means claustrophobia. An ultralight tent will cost much and last less time if you use it alot. All tents will wear out pretty quick with heavy use in my opinion.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/tents

Made the changes, being a new member I didn't want to take a chance of violating some rules by posting links.

Something else I think I noticed is... the Kelty is free standing whereas the Sierra Designs has to be staked?

You're all good. The only time links are an issue are when people sign up just to promote their website/product/etc. I definitely prefer freestanding tents as well, although if primary use were alpine/mountain then non-freestanding can be okay. Although you can do a lot better on the weight going to non-freestanding. Checkout that Tarp Tent Larryboy posted. I'd choose it over either option you listed.

I have an Alps 1 person Lynx which I got for 90.00 and comes in at an actual 4 lbs. It is a very well made tent as all the other Alps tents. I think it depends upon where and when you are hiking. Too me, too much room in a tent when it's cold means a cold tent. A one person tent in monsoon season means claustrophobia. An ultralight tent will cost much and last less time if you use it alot. All tents will wear out pretty quick with heavy use in my opinion.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/tents

Thanks

You're all good. The only time links are an issue are when people sign up just to promote their website/product/etc. I definitely prefer freestanding tents as well, although if primary use were alpine/mountain then non-freestanding can be okay. Although you can do a lot better on the weight going to non-freestanding. Checkout that Tarp Tent Larryboy posted. I'd choose it over either option you listed.

I'm here to learn... very little on my website right now.