Hello from the California Coast

maytag

Just found out about you all and would love participate.
California Bay Area'ish is where I call home but currently living a life of travel when I can.
Travel to hike is mainly the focus, been enjoying some amazing long distance trails in Europe.
Love backpacking in the Sierra's, Desolation Wilderness and anywhere else I can get away to.
Looking forward to some good banter.

Ha! Just realized where I recognize you from.
Thank you for your recommendation wsp-scott and the welcome.

Welcome, especially to a fellow Bay Area long-distance hiker with experience in Europe, a place most American backpackers seem to ignore which is a great loss to them. Curious as to what routes you have done there. We have done a long overseas walk or two almost every year since 2002.

James and Amy

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome James and Amy, seems like this will be a great forum...very active compared to some I have visited.
Yes we got hooked on the hut to hut hiking and also hiking from village to village in some counties. Coast to Coast in the UK - Andalusian Coast to Coast in the south of Spain - Via Algarviana/Fisherman's Trail in Portugal is a nice combo. We have been lucky to experience quite a few.
Currently we are in Greece...the E4 section on the Peloponnese was very nice, remote mountain villages. Hoping to check out Slovenia in the future.
We do not do any camping while in Europe - just bring the backpack and stay in places where we can find a bed and more importantly...food!
Love to hear about some of your adventures

Thanks for the welcome James and Amy, seems like this will be a great forum...very active compared to some I have visited.
Yes we got hooked on the hut to hut hiking and also hiking from village to village in some counties. Coast to Coast in the UK - Andalusian Coast to Coast in the south of Spain - Via Algarviana/Fisherman's Trail in Portugal is a nice combo. We have been lucky to experience quite a few.
Currently we are in Greece...the E4 section on the Peloponnese was very nice, remote mountain villages. Hoping to check out Slovenia in the future.
We do not do any camping while in Europe - just bring the backpack and stay in places where we can find a bed and more importantly...food!

Post some pics of the Peloponese, I did an amazing dayhike outside of Kardameli about 7 years ago and I would love to go back and do a longer hike.

Post some pics of the Peloponese, I did an amazing dayhike outside of Kardameli about 7 years ago and I would love to go back and do a longer hike.
Spent a few days after the E4 in Kardameli. Will post a couple a pics that try to capture the vide of the walk.

Ok...tried to upload but message is that the files are too big
I am not a techie...any tips? I am using a small tablet.

I post photos to my blog and then link here. You might be able to use something google or apple photos and then link them here. There is probably a way to shrink the photos, but I don't know how to do that.

Maybe someone else will fill in some details.

enjoy the rest of your stay in Greece

I'm not high tech, and when my files were too big I didn't know how to shrink them. So I just took screenshots and posted those. Time consuming, but a labor of love!

How have you learned about these routes? We loved the Haute Route and Dolomites and have our eyes on a few other European trips (Bernese Oberland, Norway hut-to-hut, Iceland Laugavegur). I sometimes look on guide companies' websites for ideas, but I hadn't heard of most of these.

I post photos to my blog and then link here. You might be able to use something google or apple photos and then link them here. There is probably a way to shrink the photos, but I don't know how to do that.

Maybe someone else will fill in some details.

enjoy the rest of your stay in Greece
Thank you wsp_scott...we are sad to see the 2 months come to a close but grateful to have such a beautiful place to go home to.
On the island of Poros now - nice trails here, nothing too technical but always great views.
I will keep working on posting some photos.

How have you learned about these routes? We loved the Haute Route and Dolomites and have our eyes on a few other European trips (Bernese Oberland, Norway hut-to-hut, Iceland Laugavegur). I sometimes look on guide companies' websites for ideas, but I hadn't heard of most of these.
We sometimes just pick a country that we want to visit and then research if there are any long distance trails. Other times we get ideas from people we meet while traveling.
Guide companies are a great resource.
We did the AV1 in the Dolomites in 2017 and loved it!!

Ok...tried to upload but message is that the files are too big
I am not a techie...any tips? I am using a small tablet.

when you click “attach files”, click photo library, when you see all thumbnails: notice OPTIONS in blue (bottom left corner). Click options and select image size , choose large instead of full size. That should work :)

Ok....
Thought I would be able to tackle to photo resize once I got back home to my laptop but I still failed :rolleyes:
Janice, I took a page from your book and did the screen shots. Kept the photos to a minimum, these will have to do for now.
We really enjoyed the E4 and the Menalon Trail.
Thanks to all for the welcome and for trying to help with the photos...I will stick to walking, computers are a challenge at times.

goat gate.JPGONE of the wayfinding moments....JPGreaching the coast.JPGmountain village.JPG

I'm intrigued! I just looked up the E4 and Menalon and can't believe the E4 goes through so many countries and is so long (6200 mi according to Wikipedia). Seems like a great route!

Back