Healing Hike - May 29, 2024

scatman

01.jpg

It is with a heavy heart that I sit down and write up this report today.

This morning a coyote killed our cat Juniper on our front porch. She went out with me when I went to set a sprinkler to water some of my lawn. I went back inside and about one minute later I heard a commotion and when I got outside the deed had already been done. I chased the coyote down the alleyway right next to my house screaming at it, but it would not let go of June. :cry:

I went to the office, but was non-productive and took half a day off to do what I think I enjoy most which is hiking. I headed out for Jack's Mountain to contemplate life and in this case death, and just to have some alone time to myself. I won't put any descriptions to the images this time, other than to say I used my fisheye zoom lens 8-15mm on all the shots. It seemed like distorted images would be apropos to a distorted day for me.

02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
17b.jpg
17c.jpg
18.jpg

Love you June-bug! I miss you already and I am so, so sorry that was not quicker to save your life.
19.jpg

So sorry to hear that my friend. :(

Not much can be said to ease the pain. Nonetheless, sending you and your family positive vibes.

Sad.......

We keep expecting something like that to happen up here........ coyote, fox, wolf, osprey, owls, bear, pine martens...... you name it. They go out during the day unsupervised.

I had them come up on my front deck when I lived in Moab. Have also had them try to lure my dogs into following. I lost a cat to one in Moab - the coyote got into a yard with a 6 foot fence and a hotwire around the top. I quit letting my cats go outside, which they hate, though I do have a small mesh tent they can go out in to get some sun and threaten the birds and squirrels. Where I live now has coyotes plus mountain lions with little fear of humans (they have to close the nearby grade school down once in awhile because one will be sighted in the playgrounds). A woman actually wrestled a lion for her young son (and won) in a nearby town (Basalt, CO) a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Very sad news. Sorry to hear about June. That is pretty traumatic and a hike was a good way to go.

Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet so suddenly is excruciatingly painful. My brother's cat is named June. She's up in years and stays inside. Same predators out here in CT.

So sorry to hear that my friend. :(

Not much can be said to ease the pain. Nonetheless, sending you and your family positive vibes.

Sad.......

We keep expecting something like that to happen up here........ coyote, fox, wolf, osprey, owls, bear, pine martens...... you name it. They go out during the day unsupervised.

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty.

I had them come up on my front deck when I lived in Moab. Have also had them try to lure my dogs into following. I lost a cat to one in Moab - the coyote got into a yard with a 6 foot fence and a hotwire around the top. I quit letting my cats go outside, which they hate, though I do have a small mesh tent they can go out in to get some sun and threaten the birds and squirrels. Where I live now has coyotes plus mountain lions with little fear of humans (they have to close the nearby grade school down once in awhile because one will be sighted in the playgrounds). A woman actually wrestled a lion for her young son (and won) in a nearby town (Basalt, CO) a couple of years ago.

Very sad story, so sorry to hear about June :cry:.

Very sad news. Sorry to hear about June. That is pretty traumatic and a hike was a good way to go.

Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet so suddenly is excruciatingly painful. My brother's cat is named June. She's up in years and stays inside. Same predators out here in CT.

Thank you all for the kind words. You've lightened a heavy heart this evening. I appreciate it.

I'm really sorry that this happened. My cat died in my arms last summer, but she was old and it was sort of expected. Even knowing it was coming was very sad. I'm sorry that June had to go this way.

So sad and hard. So smart of you to use hiking therapy as a way to get through the day.

I'm really sorry that this happened. My cat died in my arms last summer, but she was old and it was sort of expected. Even knowing it was coming was very sad. I'm sorry that June had to go this way.

Thanks Scott.

So sad and hard. So smart of you to use hiking therapy as a way to get through the day.

Thanks Janice.

Oh man. I am so, so, sorry. I can't imagine how you feel. There's nothing else to say. I'm glad you took care of yourself in the best way you knew how.

Back