Has anyone driven the Denali road to Wonder Lake in their own vehicle?

Rockskipper

No ETA
Well, I'm not usually lucky, but I just won a permit to do the Denali roundtrip to Wonder Lake in my own vehicle September 17th. You get one day to do the 90-mile (one way) drive along with 400 other vehicles and no buses. It's supposedly quite a cool trip. I've driven the 15 miles they allow you to drive in, but have never taken the bus or anything any further. This is the only way they allow anyone to drive all the way into the park.

I really didn't expect to win this and had kind of decided not to go to Alaska this year, as it's so darn far. I can transfer the permit to someone else, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done it and what their impressions were. Thanks in advance if anyone replies.

I have not driven my own vehicle up the road, but I have taken the bus to the end and spent a week base camping and day hiking the park from the road.

Denali is incredibly beautiful, especially at that time of year. The leaves are already starting to change color, and the tundra is gorgeous.

That being said, I'm not sure that driving up the AlCan just to drive the Denali road for a single day is worth it. How different/more beautiful it would be than just say, driving through the Yukon, I can't say. And then there's the probability that the mountain won't be out, especially at that time of year. I would want to make more of a trip than just the single day. Taking the bus is NBD. They'll pick you up and drop you anywhere you like, and they run often enough.

Any excuse is a good one to be in Alaska, IMO.

Have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I'll go, but if I do, I would leave early and go to Tombstone Park on the way. I've always wanted to see it in the fall. It's just such a loooong drive...last time I went to AK, it took 5 days and that was hurrying along.

As Nethos said, don't make the drive up just for that. Driving the Alcan is a great trip. The Cassiar Highway is more scenic and wilder, IMHO.

I've driven to Wonder Lake twice. It's an awesome drive in to Wonder Lake, but it's a really long day. That late in September, you will probably be driving back in the dark for quite a ways. Plus, at that time of year, there's always a chance that a snow storm will shut the road down at some point anyway. Also, that late in September, the fall colors may be done for. If you're willing to go to Tombstone (a beautiful place), I would just drive the rest of the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik. THAT is a great drive.

If you ever put in again and win, just fly up. I'll drive you in on your permit. Just give me enough notice to plan my moose hunt around it.

Sounds good. There's a chance I might use it, but would be good to have a name or two if I don't.

OK, still trying to figure out whether to go or not, but you have first dibs if I don't.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Has anyone had a knee replaced, and still backpacks? General Discussion 10
Parma Has Anyone Here Done Alta Via 1? Trip Planning 25
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
DrNed Has Anyone Used The Bivystick? Gear 11
Laura Anyone know if the rockfall on HWY 89 out of Page has been cleared yet? General Discussion 6
Waynee-ack Has anyone used a Hammock? Gear 12
TheMountainRabbit Report: Grizzly 399 has emerged from the den — with one cub General Discussion 2
regehr maze road has a sand dune Trip Planning 14
F It has begun - Hiking Baja's El Camino Real Backpacking 7
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
LarryBoy Caltopo Has a New Android App. General Discussion 11
Artemus Monsoon has Started ! Trip Planning 2
Rockskipper NASA has plan to defuse Yellowstone (for real) General Discussion 4
Perry Wow! This has me rethinking my gear choices... Trip Planning 26
Bob Which City in the USA has the most variable weather? General Discussion 0
Nick The forum has taken over General Discussion 7
J Anyone in the Thorofare in the past couple of weeks? Trip Planning 0
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
Rockskipper Lunar eclipse shots anyone? Post 'em here. Photography 10
Rockskipper Anyone feel this? 4.2 near Silver Gate General Discussion 4
OwenM Anyone here familiar with North Cascades NP? Trip Planning 9
marquiri Anyone Submit Their Application for Glacier Yesterday? Trip Planning 3
fossana Anyone know what happened to the USGS topo map API? General Discussion 12
Chuck the Mauler Anyone know General Discussion 7
Parma Pssst, don't tell anyone but Canyonlands is opening up General Discussion 3
Perry Anyone Have any Experience with Sierra Designs Nitro 800 0-degree Sleeping Bag Gear 11
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
NorthwestWanderer Anyone here accidentally stumble upon illegal grow operations? General Discussion 17
Perry Anyone Have Experience with a Gregory Optic 48? Gear 3
ScienceMom Hello from Vegas! And anyone have advice for helping reluctant-hikers enjoy backpacking more? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 25
SKLund Anyone Done Under the Rim? Trip Planning 12
kimbur96 Back again, anyone using a teardrop? General Discussion 11
Ross Anyone for Lake Powell canyons (Iceberg,Davis,Willow/Cape Solitude/Canaan Mtn Trip Planning 0
Ross Anyone know if Sleepy Hollow campground, Caineville, exists? Trip Planning 5
Darkstardirewolf Anyone hiked Moran Canyon? General Discussion 0
Perry Backpacking Rain Poncho - Anyone Use One? Gear 14
Perry MSR Trailshot - Anyone Tried One Yet? Gear 11
Kris Hehl Anyone selling their Havasu Lodge/permit/campsite 2017? General Discussion 1
balzaccom Anyone else take this in your FAK? Trip Planning 5
Dave Firewatch, anyone? General Discussion 3
Nanda Anyone going out this weekend? Trip Planning 12
uintahiker Hiawaitha Bike Trail- anyone done it? Trip Planning 0
JoshuaDyal Anyone use foot powder Gear 3
D Anyone been to Tatahatso Point, Navajo Nation Trip Planning 1
A Anyone been to Death hollow/ escalante recently? Trip Planning 2
McGimpkins The only backpack anyone should ever buy General Discussion 4
balzaccom Andes Anyone? Backpacking 8
M Anyone Been on the HITR Road lately? Any Springs flowing? Trip Planning 1
Bob Anyone a Runner? General Discussion 0
mike54704 Anyone know how the trail to Conundrum Hot Springs in CO would be the first week of March? Trip Planning 5