Happy 4th Bday, BCP!

Nick

-
I'm not sure what prompted it, but @Udink just liked an old post on Facebook that brought to my attention that today is the 4th anniversary of BCP becoming what it is today; a community. Back in January 2012 I was hobbled by a serious ankle injury that I got while hiking the Delicate Arch trail of all places. It gave me some time to get some work done and the result was a transformation from my old personal blog to the Backcountry Post community. I remember sometime in that first year being in awe that we had reached the 100 member mark. As of today we have close to 3,000 members, 63k+ messages and nearly 5k threads. And then there are the lurkers!

But most importantly, as @IntrepidXJ once pointed out to me, it's not the quantity of the members here that make it unique, but the quality of the members. I'm obviously biased, but to me there really is no forum quite like this on the internet. It requires virtually no moderation because everyone here is so focused on what this place is really about; the outdoors. There's no political section, there's no people here stirring the pot just to stir the pot. It's just the outdoors, and I freaking love it. So much gratitude to all of you who participate and make this place what it is. I think I had around 80 or 90 trip reports on my blog (originally born in 2007) back when I flipped the switch. Now there are 1,998 quality trip reports here on BCP. Amazing. Thank you all so much. Let me know if there's anything I can do to make it better.

Congrats BCP!! I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that I feel deeply indebted to this forum. I've learned so much from this place and all it's knowledgeable members, and that continues with every trip report posted.

I never would have guessed this place was only four years old...it's really great!

wow!! that's awesome this has been around for 4 years. I agree that the people are just so freaking amazing.:twothumbs:good job

I'm also a bit surprised by the site's youth. I guess Nick can thank Backpacker's meltdown for myself and probably some others that went looking for a quality alternative. That quality is certainly abundant here! Way more than Backpacker ever was.

Thanks Nick!!!!!

Been active at times and lurking at others since the day it popped up. Thanks Nick!

I sure didn't bring this up to get lots of thank you's directed my way, but thanks everyone. I do a bit to keep the site up and running but it's all of you that come on and put the post in Backcountry Post that make it what it is. So thank you! And as usual, I'm scowling at the lurkers. :cautious:

Happy B-day BCP! I too am thankful for the forum. Stumbled upon it looking up some images and info on an area to explore and couldn't resist coming back and joining. I've enjoyed all the TR's, gear discussions, tips and especially the people I've met and had some adventures with because of it BCP. Here's to 4 more great years and many many more!

At the beginning of the year I was doing some goal setting. As part of that process I sought to identify
what characteristics define who I am. "Backpacker" happened to be one of the things I decided on.

Why am I backpacker? Because in 2013 I decided I wanted to take my kids on a backpacking
trip. At the point I had been to Ruth Lake once. So I started searching for easy places to go around
Ruth Lake. That led me to BCP and I messaged NIck and he gave me personal advice on a few subjects.

It's not as much as some of the experts here, but I get out 12-15 nights a year now because of all the great
trip reports, awesome photos and amazing people here.

Thank you @Nick and thank you to all the BCPers. Because of you I'm a Backpacker!

Shout Out: @colefeet I noticed you're from South Lyon. 30+ years ago I went to Jr High in South Lyon.

I sure didn't bring this up to get lots of thank you's directed my way, but thanks everyone. I do a bit to keep the site up and running but it's all of you that come on and put the post in Backcountry Post that make it what it is. So thank you! And as usual, I'm scowling at the lurkers. :cautious:

You can quit scowling at me now! Two reports. I have paid my dues for a couple of months.