Hailey-Washakie Loop

Great stuff Jackson!

Your images perfectly capture why so many consider The Winds
their favorite backcountry destination.

You may have beat the Fish Creek Park mosquitoes with this one. There was a place or two we walked through in the woods where they were thick like this, but never in camp (thank goodness). You walk through and there are constantly dozens to hundreds of them just bouncing off of you. This picture may as well be of the apocalypse.
The worst part was it was my wife's first backpacking trip and I typically don't have issues with mosquitos so I only brought a small bottle of deet free spray that we ran out of in the first couple hours... Your description of apocalyptic is spot on as I'm sure if anyone was watching us out of our tent they probably thought we were possessed...

How did I miss this report until just now? Getting me stoked as I will be making that area part of my August trip. Nice pics.

Thanks for the report. Love the pictures. Not a route you see a lot of trip reports on, too. Good luck on the exam!

Looked stunning!
Funny, before I saw the caption, when I saw the bear bag hang photo I thought, ‘Wow, that’s a good hang!’
Haha
Thanks for sharing!
Don’t think it has been a week and a half yet, so goodluck on the BAR!

Looked stunning!
Funny, before I saw the caption, when I saw the bear bag hang photo I thought, ‘Wow, that’s a good hang!’
Haha
Thanks for sharing!
Don’t think it has been a week and a half yet, so goodluck on the BAR!
Thank you! The tree definitely makes the hang. Haha.

And the exam starts today! Heading to take the first half within the hour. :eek:

Great updates! Much appreciated. Going to this general area for a week starting in a couple of days.
Knowing you you don't need reminder but you best be getting under that awesome North Face of Mt. Hooker, the only Grade V in the Windies and scout Musumbeah - perhaps one of the finest Grade IV's !

Last edited:
That looks like a LOT of fun. Great pictures.
Thanks! This is one where I frequently find myself going back through photos and videos from the trip. The horrendous mosquitoes make up far less of the memory now. Haha.

Holy Moly!!! That one stream crossing had me freaked out.
What an awesome trip you did, I love all the snowfields.
In the near future, I will explore a lot more of Wyoming and the surrounding areas as well, as I'm moving up north and finally leave the desert behind me.
Great pictures that really want me to go there and explore.
And good luck on your bare exam!! I feel your pain, school keeps me so busy I barely have time to get out as well

Holy Moly!!! That one stream crossing had me freaked out.
What an awesome trip you did, I love all the snowfields.
In the near future, I will explore a lot more of Wyoming and the surrounding areas as well, as I'm moving up north and finally leave the desert behind me.
Great pictures that really want me to go there and explore.
And good luck on your bare exam!! I feel your pain, school keeps me so busy I barely have time to get out as well
It was pretty wild! Creek was running high, especially with the downpour that had just happened. But also I was dumb and took the harder way that came up to my waist. Haha.

Where are you moving to? Even SLC gets too hot for me, so I'd love to eventually move to NW Montana or something. Can't imagine living in St. George during the summer!

And great news: I passed the bar exam. So happy I never have to go through that again. Good luck with finishing out school! Sounds like you're very close!

It was pretty wild! Creek was running high, especially with the downpour that had just happened. But also I was dumb and took the harder way that came up to my waist. Haha.

Where are you moving to? Even SLC gets too hot for me, so I'd love to eventually move to NW Montana or something. Can't imagine living in St. George during the summer!

And great news: I passed the bar exam. So happy I never have to go through that again. Good luck with finishing out school! Sounds like you're very close!

My plan is to move to Bozeman, MT. I have to get out of the desert dust and heat or my lungs will never get better again.
So I guess, mountain air, mountain trips, and winter skiing will help a lot. And no 100+ temps anymore.
I still have a year and a half to go but I'm so looking forward to finishing.
Hopefully, it will give me a bit more time to get outside again. Until I move, I'll avoid the desert heat as much as possible and my next two summers will be primarily in the Greater Yellowstone area, Beartooths, and the Gallatin Range.

And hey, congrats on passing the exam, that's awesome!!!

My plan is to move to Bozeman, MT. I have to get out of the desert dust and heat or my lungs will never get better again.
So I guess, mountain air, mountain trips, and winter skiing will help a lot. And no 100+ temps anymore.
I still have a year and a half to go but I'm so looking forward to finishing.
Hopefully, it will give me a bit more time to get outside again. Until I move, I'll avoid the desert heat as much as possible and my next two summers will be primarily in the Greater Yellowstone area, Beartooths, and the Gallatin Range.

And hey, congrats on passing the exam, that's awesome!!!
Bozeman will be awesome. My grandparents lived there for several years and as a kid, I always wanted to live there. I still would if it weren't so expensive! Either way, that's a great plan, and you're going to see some amazing country!!