Greetings from the East Coast

TPfromPA

Greetings and salutations from Central Virginia. I grew up exploring the steep, cranulated terrain of the Allegheny Plateau, and nowadays I get to explore the ancient forested Blue Ridge Mountains just outside of my adopted hometown.

I'm simply captivated by the Colorado Plateau. What a treasure! My first trip to the Southwest was a backpacking trip in Coyote Gulch -- in addition to the life-changing experience of exploring this most amazing backcountry canyon landscape, our trip was complete with pushing our rented minivan through the deep muck at the Alvey Wash crossing on HITR Road, and an emergency rescue of a fellow backpacker stuck in quicksand in the middle of the Escalante River. And that was an unexpected trip -- I went to a Penn State Outing Club meeting at the beginning of one spring semester, intending to sign up to join a sea kayaking trip to the Everglades. But after hearing the Coyote Gulch itinerary from the students who were self-organizing and leading the trip, I knew that Escalante was the only choice. Altogether, it was a special trip during my formative younger years, and led to a lifetime affinity of the American Southwest.

On that first trip, my attachment to the Colorado Plateau was further cemented with a daybreak hike up to Angel's Landing in Zion, where we had camped for a night on the way back to the Vegas airport. Wow!

I've been able to return to Grand Staircase Escalante NM a few times since then -- exploring the Circle Cliffs side of the Escalante River basin, and stringing together some ambitious day hikes through less-visited portions of the monument.

I've also been fortunate to have spent time in other Colorado Plateau gems like the San Rafael Swell and Arches NP. What a special region!

I am so thankful for these public lands (and distressed by the serious threats they now face); and since I can only visit every few years, reading everyone's TR's on Backcountry Post goes a long way towards feeding my ever-present appetite while I await the next adventure.

At some point, I'll pull together a trip report for some of those explorations...

Last edited:
Welcome, I'm in KY and do most of my backpacking in the SE Appalachians. I was at Grayson Highlands in November for a couple nights, but that is my only VA trip so far. Any VA favorites you'd recommend?

Welcome, I'm in KY and do most of my backpacking in the SE Appalachians. I was at Grayson Highlands in November for a couple nights, but that is my only VA trip so far. Any VA favorites you'd recommend?

Howdy wsp_scott, greetings from Virginia. I hear the "Religious Range" on the crest of the Blue Ridge (between Lynchburg and Charlottesville) is pretty outstanding. Three Ridges, The Priest, The Cardinal, and so on (including the Mt. Pleasant area) is supposed to be great. There is a lot of elevation gain and loss though; I've only done day hikes in that area, and have not shouldered all my overnight gear up and down that terrain...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
cabshire Greetings from Ohio! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
porcupinerambler Greetings from NW WY Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Parashakti Greetings from Western Washington Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
E Greetings from Seattle Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
F Greetings from western NC Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Pichungo Greetings from California fellow outdoor enthusiasts Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
U greetings from southwest Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
I Greetings from southern AZ Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
randakag Greetings from Brooklyn! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Pianomover Greetings from northernmost California. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Hiker Seth Greetings from Maine Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
D Greetings from Missouri! What are your favorite Hikes in the Sawtooths? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
O Greetings from a Colorado Noob. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
David Rule Greetings from the Mid-West Noobs: Introduce yourself! 22
C Greetings from SC Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Gregg B. Greetings Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
RedRockRambler Greetings from a new noob in San Diego Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Joyce & Tom Greetings from Overland Park Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
F Greetings from Wisconsin Newbie Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
D Greetings Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
MarkintheHV Greetings from the Hudson Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Dirkules Greetings from Germany Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
Papa Dave Greetings! And one quick question Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
JSDez23 Greetings From SLC Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
MVS Greetings from Wisconsin! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
hamtron5000 Greetings and Salutations from Western Colorado! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
LandOfLizards Greetings from Denver Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Opi Greetings from the badger state Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Gesenwein Greetings from Cortez Co. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
John Goering Greetings from SW Montana Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
JulieKT Greetings from Southern Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 13
Jeremy C Greetings from up north! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Chuck the Mauler Greetings Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
mak1277 Greetings Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
EastSiideRyda Greetings from the DMV Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
Dreamer Way, way Down East Backpacking 13
scatman East Millcreek Ridge - July 2, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
Duketogo13 Hello from the East Bay! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 17
zionsky ZNP East Entrance Visitor Center General Discussion 2
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6
J East Coast to Unitas Trip Recommendations Trip Planning 4
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
J How is the dirt road to the East Fork of Blacks Fork TH? Trip Planning 1
Ross Invite Boundary/Kolob/Narrows & East Fork Fat Man’s/Labyrinth Falls (Oct) Meet Up (Members Only) 4
regehr floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft? Trip Planning 3
Lowro East Temple Peak - Wind River Range Backpacking 13
chandlerwest Just Some Drainage in the East side of Zion Nat'l Park Hiking & Camping 9