Grebe Lake - Yellowstone National Park - September 4, 2024

scatman

On September 4th, our group headed into the Yellowstone backcountry to Grebe Lake for a four day backpacking trip. This trip included two day hikes: one to Observation Peak, and a second one to Wolf Lake.

Originally I had wanted to get campsite 4G4 on the north shore of Grebe for three nights and use this site as a basecamp for our day hikes. Unfortunately, I (nor any of my family members for that matter) were able to secure a lottery spot. This meant that I had to wait until the general public could reserve backcountry campsites and thus I was unable to get 4G4 for three consecutive nights. :( So instead, we had to move to 4G3 on our second night and then head back to 4G4 for our third night.

Sheila and I had opened up our trip to those here on BCP just in case anyone wanted to join us, and to our delight @Bob , @Pringles , @ImNotDedYet , @Patrick GPz , @The Trout Whisperer , and @Dreamer decided to tag along. Now these basecamp trips usually have an open itinerary, and this one was no different. People can basically do what they want, stay as long as the want, etc.. Knowing this, we had three folks leave after one night, and two more after two nights in the backcountry.

Grebe_Lake_Trip_09_04_24.jpg
Trip overview map

Day 1 - Hiking in to Campsite 4G4 on Grebe Lake - approximately 4 miles

Sheila and I stopped in at the backcountry office in West Yellowstone to pick up our official permit.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

After securing the permit, we had about thirty minutes to kill before meeting Bob, Linda, John and Terry at the Buffalo Bar for lunch. So we strolled around West Yellowstone for a bit.

04.jpg
Nice moose

04b.jpg
Lunch time!

After fueling up, it was on to the trailhead which was about an hour away.

@Pringles , @Dreamer , and @Patrick GPz had arrived at the trailhead earlier than the rest of us, so they headed to Grebe before us. It always takes Scatman a little bit of time to get everything ready at the trailhead. Everyone else was kind enough to wait on the slowpoke.

05.jpg
58 pounds of gear ready to go.

06.jpg
Group shot at the trailhead

07.jpg
And they are off! The ultralighters are putting the 58 pounder to shame.

09.jpg
Something seems out of kilter. The leaning tower of Scatman. :D

08.jpg
Sheila was trailing me just in case I dropped something. I did have my tent fall off which means that I had to stop and put it back
on and strap it down tighter than I originally had it.

10.jpg
12.jpg
Some open country at first

13.jpg
The ultralight crew decided to wait for us.

14.jpg
Forested the rest of the way to the lake

15.jpg
Campsite signs at the lake

16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
The many sides of Grebe Lake

19.jpg
@ImNotDedYet makes the decision to take the low route to 4G4

20.jpg
Reaching camp with the Man, the Myth, the Legend. :)

21.jpg
Our tent at 4G4

22.jpg
Dinner time! No campfires allowed due to fire restrictions

23.jpg
24.jpg
That's right! Circus Peanut time! @Pringles had brought in two bags of the delicious treats. Of course, this meant playtime for
Scatman.

25.jpg
Three loons on the lake and I had a hard time getting pictures of any of them.

26.jpg
About time to call it a day

Day 2 - To Campsite 4G3 then on to Observation Peak - Approximately a 10 mile day

Well, we had to pack up and hike ten minutes up the trail to get to campsite 4G3 from 4G4. Once arriving at 4G3, we realized that there was a squatter at our site. His name turned out to be Benjamin and I will let @ImNotDedYet or @Patrick GPz tell you about Benjamin since they spent more time with him than I did. Sheila and I set up our tent and took off with @Dreamer for the summit of Observation Peak. Before we headed off though, it was time to say our goodbyes to @Pringles , @The Trout Whisperer and @Bob as they were only staying for one night.

27.jpg
A bright group shot at 4G4 before some take off

28.jpg
A ten minute hike to 4G3

29.jpg
All set up at 4G3 and ready to take off for Observation Peak

30.jpg
Heading towards Cascade Lake

31.jpg
Typical of the scenery between Grebe and Cascade

32.jpg
Dreamer up ahead with a small sliver of Cascade Lake above him

33.jpg
Arriving at Cascade Lake

34.jpg
Heading towards the junction with the Observation Peak Trail. A couple of fishermen were pulling in some fish at the lake.

35.jpg
This way to the peak

36.jpg
Leaving Cascade behind

37.jpg
And further behind. Hayden Valley can be seen off in the distance

38.jpg
Headwaters of the Tower Creek drainage can be seen below

100.jpg100b.jpg
Sheila thought this shot had a slight resemblance of the Lewis and Clark signs you see along the road when following their route to the Northwest.

39.jpg
Heading along the ridge at this point

40.jpg
Grebe Lake comes into view

41.jpg
Hayden Valley.

42.jpg
Love the fireweed this time of year

43.jpg
Campsite 4P1 just off the summit. This site has no water source so be sure and pack enough in if you are going to stay here.

44.jpg
The fire lookout on Observation Peak

45.jpg
Eric enjoying the day on top with Cook Peak in the distance

46.jpg
Grebe Lake below

47.jpg
Electric Peak to the northwest

48.jpg
Cook Peak to the north

49.jpg
Mount Holmes to the west

50.jpg
Wolf Lake, with a sliver of Ice Lake beyond

51.jpg
The Yellowstone River flowing through Hayden Valley. You can also catch a glimpse of Yellowstone Lake in the upper left of the

52.jpg
BCP greetings while eating a Circus Peanut.

53.jpg
And a celebratory mini Tony's Chocolonely on the summit

54.jpg
Group shot

55.jpg
Grebe, Wolf and Ice Lakes

56.jpg
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone viewed on our way back down

57.jpg
More fireweed

58.jpg
A few lupines still in bloom

59.jpg
Afternoon sun on Cascade now

60.jpg
A bison just off the trail junction

61.jpg
Okay @ImNotDedYet tell us about Benjamin.

62b.jpg
A mating pair of swans on Grebe

63.jpg
64.jpg
Evening on Grebe

Day 3 - 4G3 to 4G4 and onto Wolf Lake - Approximately 4.0 miles roundtrip

Of course we had to pack up and head back to 4G4. Before going we said our goodbyes to Terry and Patrick who were hiking out due to some ailments. Some nice folks from Indiana were packing up and getting ready to head out when we arrived at 4G4. They seemed to know Bob (The Man, The Myth, The Legend) and I had a nice chat with them before they took off to camp at Wolf Lake.

65.jpg
Fog on Grebe at 4G3

66.jpg
Grebe Lake

67.jpg
Harebells

68.jpg
Group from Indiana. Austin was the gentleman's name who is on the far left. I told him about Backcoutrypost, so hopefully he will
chime in in the future.

69.jpg
The outlet of Grebe on our way to Wolf Lake

70.jpg
The lily pads extend a ways up the outlet

71.jpg
Forest hiking

72.jpg
And meadows

73.jpg
The fire lookout on Observation where we were the dat before

74.jpg
A squirrel on our way to Wolf

75.jpg
Sheila, showing us how it is done.

76.jpg
At the outlet of Wolf Lake. The outlet is the beginning of the Gibbon River

77.jpg
Wolf Lake. We talked to a fisherman who told us that two hours earlier that he had watched a grizzly bear had walk down the
west side of the lake.

77b.jpg
78.jpg
I walked don the Gibbon River a ways before turning around and heading back to Wolf

79.jpg
Group shot at Wolf Lake

80.jpg
Bear pole at campsite 4G5 on our way back to Grebe

81.jpg
View of Grebe from 4G5

82.jpg
Fall colors on some cow parsnip leaves

83b.jpg
One of the swans on Grebe

84.jpg
Reflective mood on Grebe that evening

Day 4 - Back to the trailhead - Approximately 4 miles

Pack up and head out today.

84b.jpg
85.jpg
86.jpg
Breakfast at 4G4

87.jpg
Slightly uphill back to the trailhead

88.jpg
Grebe Lake Trail

89.jpg
Trailhead is within sight

90.jpg
Back at the Sube.

96.jpg
95.jpg
You are in bear country

91.jpg
92.jpg
Some interesting shots at the trailhead of the old road that used to go to the old fish hatchery that at one time (1920's - 1930's) at
Grebe Lake. @TractorDoc and I need to follow this old road one day. :thumbsup:

We headed back to Old Faithful through Hayden Valley and guess who we ran into?

98.jpg
@Pringles !

98b.jpg
And of course once at Old Faithful we ran into this handsome fellow (not the one in the kilt). :D

The End.

Sheila thought this shot had a slight resemblance of the Lewis and Clark signs you see along the road when following their route to the Northwest.
I agree. You can clearly see that Lewis is wearing a brace on his arm. Or is that Clark? :)

Sounds like a nice relaxing trip! Cool that you had a swan family hanging out on the lake. Thanks for keeping an eye on me around those thermal areas. One of my regrets is not taking a picture of you at the front row of Old Faithful. :D

I have a 50 cal. black powder rifle you can borrow for your next Lewis and Clark photo session.

I agree. You can clearly see that Lewis is wearing a brace on his arm. Or is that Clark? :)

Sounds like a nice relaxing trip! Cool that you had a swan family hanging out on the lake. Thanks for keeping an eye on me around those thermal areas. One of my regrets is not taking a picture of you at the front row of Old Faithful. :D

I couldn't tell either. :D

Front row at Old Faithful never happened. Damn tourists! :D

Nice photos & report. I've been out to Cascade & Grebe a handful of times, still need to make it up to Observation Peak one of these days.

Nice photos & report. I've been out to Cascade & Grebe a handful of times, still need to make it up to Observation Peak one of these days.

Thanks. I've stayed at Grebe four times in the past and once at Cascade though I've passed by it three other times on my up Observation Peak.

If you get a clear day the view from the top of Observation are quite nice and worth the trip up.

Looks like a pretty nice trip

Have you ever stayed at 4P1? It did not look like a great campsite when I passed by, but the stars/sunset/sunrise from Observation Peak would be amazing. I think I'd be willing to carry water for those views.

Looks like a pretty nice trip

Have you ever stayed at 4P1? It did not look like a great campsite when I passed by, but the stars/sunset/sunrise from Observation Peak would be amazing. I think I'd be willing to carry water for those views.

I have not stayed at 4P1 before, but back in 2012 when my son and I hiked to the top of Observation, we stopped in to take a look at the site.

01b.jpg
01c.jpg

I should have stopped in this time and taken some updated photos, but I didn't.

Great writeup Mr. Scat!

I again hope I didn't infect anyone with Covid. My apologies if I did!

I don't have much to add from an actual report as I was an allergy-fighting sicko, so I'll just add some photos here along with my take on Benjamin from SoCal - Santa Barbara, to be exact.

First, @Patrick GPz and I gained a new friend, Benjamin - who claimed he was supposed to be at the site a couple sites down, (past our prior site) but someone was already there. We never saw anyone walk past our site, so that was already odd to hear.

While Patrick patiently waited for him to slothily take down his tent so Patrick could stake his tent, he and Patrick appeared to become good friends. The rest of the gang that wasn't heading back to the cars for the day started their trek to Observation Peak. I decided to stay back to see how severely my allergies kicked me. After what seems like a half hour, our friend had taken down his tent, Patrick staked in and started his chase of the peloton on their way up Observation Peak. I mistakenly assumed he would continue to gather up his gear and head off for his next campsite, but alas he was heading nowhere. He hung out in his chair next to the lake. I had some lunch in the kitchen area only to look up and discover he'd begun to skinny dip. Yes, I saw too much. Fortunately, my peanut butter and honey tortilla had already been finished and I'd not had any circus peanuts. After a couple of hours, he'd made no progress on completing packing up his gear and moving on and I dozed off in Patrick's chair to wake up to him squatting near his gear and eating. At this point, we began to talk. Seems he just graduated from college with a degree in politics, is into art and was on what seemed to be a young person's self-discovery trip. Somehow we got to talking about bears and camping in bear country and it was obvious he was clueless about how to do so safely. He didn't know about the kitchen area/food hang, had a canister and kept it right by his tent, didn't know to put anything with a scent in the canister, etc. Clue number 2 he didn't have a valid permit or slept through/avoided the video. I've never had to deal with someone that wouldn't leave their spot, but thought I'd suggest it was getting later in the day and it might take some time to find another "open spot". But alas, up walked Patrick to surprisingly find the young man had made likely zero progress in completing packing up. He did, at that point, work on getting packed up and took off. That's my story...Patrick's may be different, and hopefully more interesting.

I will add that there were many bugling elk the first night and into the morning. And there were some loons on the lake as well that didn't sing their songs until the morning of day 3, in which case they did so mightily. (one of my favorite wilderness sounds)

As for pictures, I'm partial to early morning light, so most of my stuff is fog-encompassed stuff from right before the sun rose and I was too miserable to make any of the day hikes. My apologies. ;)

A curvy shadow I noticed on the way in
Curves.jpg

Morning 1
Stillness of Fog.jpg
Last Remnants.jpg

Moonset on night 2
Setting Moon.jpg

Morning 3 - it was fun to watch the fog ease up, then thicken again
Predawn Fog.jpg
Layers.jpg

Thanks again @scatman (and Sheila) for allowing me to tag along! It was great to meet some great, new peeps and catch up with some "old friends" again.

I would have guessed that guy was just out camping... No permits.... Just got to a camp that was reserved. Didn't care

Great writeup Mr. Scat!

I again hope I didn't infect anyone with Covid. My apologies if I did!

I don't have much to add from an actual report as I was an allergy-fighting sicko, so I'll just add some photos here along with my take on Benjamin from SoCal - Santa Barbara, to be exact.

First, @Patrick GPz and I gained a new friend, Benjamin - who claimed he was supposed to be at the site a couple sites down, (past our prior site) but someone was already there. We never saw anyone walk past our site, so that was already odd to hear.

While Patrick patiently waited for him to slothily take down his tent so Patrick could stake his tent, he and Patrick appeared to become good friends. The rest of the gang that wasn't heading back to the cars for the day started their trek to Observation Peak. I decided to stay back to see how severely my allergies kicked me. After what seems like a half hour, our friend had taken down his tent, Patrick staked in and started his chase of the peloton on their way up Observation Peak. I mistakenly assumed he would continue to gather up his gear and head off for his next campsite, but alas he was heading nowhere. He hung out in his chair next to the lake. I had some lunch in the kitchen area only to look up and discover he'd begun to skinny dip. Yes, I saw too much. Fortunately, my peanut butter and honey tortilla had already been finished and I'd not had any circus peanuts. After a couple of hours, he'd made no progress on completing packing up his gear and moving on and I dozed off in Patrick's chair to wake up to him squatting near his gear and eating. At this point, we began to talk. Seems he just graduated from college with a degree in politics, is into art and was on what seemed to be a young person's self-discovery trip. Somehow we got to talking about bears and camping in bear country and it was obvious he was clueless about how to do so safely. He didn't know about the kitchen area/food hang, had a canister and kept it right by his tent, didn't know to put anything with a scent in the canister, etc. Clue number 2 he didn't have a valid permit or slept through/avoided the video. I've never had to deal with someone that wouldn't leave their spot, but thought I'd suggest it was getting later in the day and it might take some time to find another "open spot". But alas, up walked Patrick to surprisingly find the young man had made likely zero progress in completing packing up. He did, at that point, work on getting packed up and took off. That's my story...Patrick's may be different, and hopefully more interesting.

I will add that there were many bugling elk the first night and into the morning. And there were some loons on the lake as well that didn't sing their songs until the morning of day 3, in which case they did so mightily. (one of my favorite wilderness sounds)

As for pictures, I'm partial to early morning light, so most of my stuff is fog-encompassed stuff from right before the sun rose and I was too miserable to make any of the day hikes. My apologies. ;)

A curvy shadow I noticed on the way in
View attachment 135419

Morning 1
View attachment 135420
View attachment 135421

Moonset on night 2
View attachment 135422

Morning 3 - it was fun to watch the fog ease up, then thicken again
View attachment 135423
View attachment 135424

Thanks again @scatman (and Sheila) for allowing me to tag along! It was great to meet some great, new peeps and catch up with some "old friends" again.
He told me his degree was politics and philosophy….interesting kid….hope he made it out safe.IMG_9823.jpegIMG_9815.jpeg

Again, That guy had no permit, is just going around camping ..... If he knew nothing about bears probably never went for any permits or got the Park bear talk. He is a accident waiting to happen..... Gives everyone backpacking a bad name. If I had known that, i would have gone into the Backcountry office and told them.

Back