Grandaddy Lake 7/19 to 7/21/2012

Waynee-ack

The planning for this trip began nearly a year ago. Even the best plans have room for the unexpected.
A couple of freinds and I from work thought it would be fun to plan a father son backpacking trip to Grandaddy Lake. Those who came along for the trip are myself and my oldest son Dylan, Tim and his son Josh, Devan and his son Brayden.
The plan was to meet at Sportsman's in Riverdale at 2:15 after work to pickup a few last minute supplies and head for the trailhead. It was 3:45 by the time everyone arrived and we were on the road.
On the drive up I got a flat tire on my truck in Peoa, took about a half hour to fix.
We stopped for dinner at Oakley Drive-in.
With the late arrivals, flat tire, and dinner it was 8:00 by the time we reached the Grandview Trailhead.

Our group at the Grandview Trailhead.DSC_4456.jpg
With the late start it was no surprise that we soon found ourselves on the trail in the dark. Even though it was extremely dark with no moon and a thick cloud cover we pushed on. Around 11:30 we arrived at Grandaddy Lake and quickly found a place to camp for the night. By the time we setup camp and pumped some water it was 2:00 am when my head hit the pillow.

Grandaddy Lake Friday morning.DSC_4463.jpg
On Friday morning we slowly woke up and started moving. We discovered that we were only about a 100 feet from the trail so we decided to move so we would be in compliance with the no camping within 200 feet of the trail rule.

Dylan pumping water.
DSC_4476.jpg
Note: I have a Katadyn Hiker pump that I broke the inlet connector off of the body earlier this year. On Friday morning I ran into two other people that had the same problem with their pump. Customer service at Katadyn was very good about getting a replacement part for me for a fee. It now appears to me that they have a design/quality problem with this fitting.

Dylan and I near our camp at Grandaddy Lake.
DSC_4483.jpg

After moving camp to a more appropriate location and taking care of all the other morning camp chores we packed up for a day of hiking and fishing.

Trail near Grandaddy Lake.
DSC_4477.jpg

First stop for fishing was Betsy Lake.DSC_4492.jpg

Dylan fishing at Betsy Lake.

DSC_4498.jpg

DSC_4502.jpg

We spent the whole day fishing Betsy Lake, Mohawk Lake, and the little pond between the two Lakes. The fishing was good, the catching was not so good. We caught a total of two fish between the six of us. Both fish were caught in the little pond between Betsy and Mohawk Lakes. We made it back to camp around 8:00 pm and fixed some dinner. With the late night the night before everyone was tired and turned in early. I was so tired from the hike in the day before, no sleep, and a respiratory infection I was recovering from, that I slept great.

Saturday morning we woke up, broke camp and started for home.

On the trail out.
DSC_4530.jpg

My son Dylan (11 years old) and Devan's son Brayden (10 years old) ended up being extreamely tired about a mile from the trailhead. After nearly 12 miles of hiking, most of it with heavy packs, in two days who can blame them.

On the ride down the dirt road from Grandview Trailhead I asked Dylan what he thought of our trip. His response was, "it was epic". I suppose that means he had a good time. I think this is a trip they will be talking about for a while.

The waterfall just down from the parking lot at Grandview.
DSC_4536.jpg

I really wanted to get some good Milky Way pictures but we had heavy cloud cover both nights. I guess I'll have to plan another trip.

This was my longest backpacking trip yet and my first into the High Uintas Wilderness. I had a great time and I am looking forward to many more.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

2AM!? Yikes! I probably would have just camped at the trailhead by that killer waterfall. I have to admit, I've done very little hiking in the dark...

On the ride down the dirt road from Grandview Trailhead I asked Dylan what he thought of our trip. His response was, "it was epic". I suppose that means he had a good time. I think this is a trip they will be talking about for a while.

Haha! Epic indeed. You're training him well.

P.S. Nice shirt. :)

Great report! That's one area that I still haven't checked out yet.

2AM!? Yikes! I probably would have just camped at the trailhead by that killer waterfall. I have to admit, I've done very little hiking in the dark...

Haha! Epic indeed. You're training him well.

P.S. Nice shirt. :)

This was the first time I have ever hiked in while it was dark and it wasn't that bad.
Anytime you can get kids to unplug from the cell phone, video games, and TV you are doing well.

Great report! That's one area that I still haven't checked out yet.
The Grandaddy Basin was fantastic, but a lot of people. Next time I want to hit one of the less traveled areas.

Nice report! I passed by Grandaddy on Friday evening around 5:45, but sounds like you were up around Betsy then. Maybe you saw my truck in the parking lot on Saturday--it had a big BCP sticker in the rear window. :) I was surprised to see a few camp fires around Grandaddy.

The Grandaddy Basin was fantastic, but a lot of people. Next time I want to hit one of the less traveled areas.
I did a big loop (23 miles for the whole weekend) going east of Grandaddy and Lodgepole lakes, following Rock Creek and Fish Creek to Rainbow Lake, then back south to Grandaddy. Didn't see a soul for about 44 hours--all the crowds seemed to be concentrated around Grandaddy and Betsy. The trails look like they hadn't been maintained for years, so there was a lot of tree-hopping. :rolleyes: