Grand Teton Camping

natylka

We are looking to camp in Grand Teton National Park. Does anyone know if there are campground in or near Grand Teton National Park that takes reservations?

IMG_0398.JPG
You may already have some of this information but here goes...
It sounds like you are just camping and not planning on backpacking into a campground. Jenny/ Leigh Lake is great if you can get it but it is always full. I suggest Colter Bay. The day use area has a great beach for swimming. When we couldn't get in there we went to Lizard Creek and other places and it was fun too. The only problem is that you can't make reservations. If you go in the morning you should be able to get a camp site. Most campgrounds in the park are the same way. There are National Forest campgrounds just outside Jackson toward Driggs and other areas you could reserve as a back up in case all the sites in the park are full. Other people may know them better than me.I have never done it. Most of those reservations are available at recreation.gov. I take my family every year during the worst times in the summer. We get there in the evening sometimes and we always found a spot. One time we got the last one and my wife was almost in tears worried but it was ok.

More Info in link below with numbers to call. They are always super nice.

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Last edited:
View attachment 52772
You may already have some of this information but here goes...
It sounds like you are just camping and not planning on backpacking into a campground. Jenny/ Leigh Lake is great if you can get it but it is always full. I suggest Colter Bay. The day use area has a great beach for swimming. When we couldn't get in there we went to Lizard Creek and other places and it was fun too. The only problem is that you can't make reservations. If you go in the morning you should be able to get a camp site. Most campgrounds in the park are the same way. There are National Forest campgrounds just outside Jackson toward Driggs and other areas you could reserve as a back up in case all the sites in the park are full. Other people may know them better than me.I have never done it. Most of those reservations are available at recreation.gov. I take my family every year during the worst times in the summer. We get there in the evening sometimes and we always found a spot. One time we got the last one and my wife was almost in tears worried but it was ok.

More Info in link below with numbers to call. They are always super nice.

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Thanks for the advice. It looks like for the dates we would like to go are sold out.

If you're not coming in by Thursday June 29th I'd be a little less optimisitic about a walkup permit. People do come to Jenny Lake VERY early and wait for folks to leave. I did it once and there were 7 other cars doing the same thing.

Wherever you end up you can pay for a shower at the Grand Teton Climbers Ranch or in Jackson at the Rec. center. I'm not sure the Anvil Motel does anymore, it changed ownership.

Did you inquire about Gros Ventre Campground? Although a little farther from the mountains the views are great and you are in a wonderful cottonwood bottom. This may be the best/most productive/easy place on the planet to observe/photograph moose. Also if you must be in close proximity to the range check BTNF campgrounds like Atherton Creek, Crystal Creek, Turpin Meadow, Sheffield Creek, etc. Curtis Canyon is closest to town.

Well I take it you don't like the idea of boondocking. Some folks don't like not having a toilet. You can buy a toilet seat with folding legs and they do make latrine tents. However, boondocking I've never felt the need for a latrine tent aside from larger groups. Having woken up to fresh Grizz tracks outside my tent several times as in a campground I highly suggest no cowboy camping in Greater Yellowstone. Others will, it's your choice. There are more grizzlies on the East side of the Valley, just do ALL of the right precautions and not be afraid.

There will be a lot of folks on Bridger-Teton National Forest Land adjacent to GTNP then, but there are so many exquisite vehicle spots out there with jaw dropping views, wonderful water, and ubelievably spectacular dayhiking right from "camp." Look at your Buffalo-Jackson Ranger District Map of the Bridger-Teton which also has great detail of Grand Teton National Park. Happy to tell you about some of the great roads to find a spot on if you're interested.

The Signal Mountain Lodge mentions showers and laundry on their web pages.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signal Mountain also has the best food (at reasonable prices) in the park.

Last edited:
If you're not coming in by Thursday June 29th I'd be a little less optimisitic about a walkup permit. People do come to Jenny Lake VERY early and wait for folks to leave. I did it once and there were 7 other cars doing the same thing.

Wherever you end up you can pay for a shower at the Grand Teton Climbers Ranch or in Jackson at the Rec. center. I'm not sure the Anvil Motel does anymore, it changed ownership.

Did you inquire about Gros Ventre Campground? Although a little farther from the mountains the views are great and you are in a wonderful cottonwood bottom. This may be the best/most productive/easy place on the planet to observe/photograph moose. Also if you must be in close proximity to the range check BTNF campgrounds like Atherton Creek, Crystal Creek, Turpin Meadow, Sheffield Creek, etc. Curtis Canyon is closest to town.

Well I take it you don't like the idea of boondocking. Some folks don't like not having a toilet. You can buy a toilet seat with folding legs and they do make latrine tents. However, boondocking I've never felt the need for a latrine tent aside from larger groups. Having woken up to fresh Grizz tracks outside my tent several times as in a campground I highly suggest no cowboy camping in Greater Yellowstone. Others will, it's your choice. There are more grizzlies on the East side of the Valley, just do ALL of the right precautions and not be afraid.

There will be a lot of folks on Bridger-Teton National Forest Land adjacent to GTNP then, but there are so many exquisite vehicle spots out there with jaw dropping views, wonderful water, and ubelievably spectacular dayhiking right from "camp." Look at your Buffalo-Jackson Ranger District Map of the Bridger-Teton which also has great detail of Grand Teton National Park. Happy to tell you about some of the great roads to find a spot on if you're interested.

Thank you for your advice. I am interested in learning more of the spots where I can boondocks. It is not a problem for us. We are a bit worried to do so due to Grizzly bears. We will have 2 dogs, 11-year-old and a baby with us.

The Signal Mountain Lodge mentions showers and laundry on their web pages.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I think we can live without that.

Remember you're in far more danger driving down the road than you are from grizzlies. Get the map I talked about by just calling the local Forest Service office here, 10$ and free mailing. Unless there is a posting for hard sided vehicles only you can tent camp over millions of acres with your vehicle right there. All kinds of online resources about bear safety.

What kind of vehicle will you have?

My strategy, since I am going there for the eclipse, was to reserve a camp spot at Grant Village in the south part of Yellowstone. It's easy to drive from there down to the Tetons.

For Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps (which show where/when you can have a dispersed camp), here are some links.
Bridger-Teton NF - https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/btnf/maps-pubs
Caribou-Targhee NF - https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/ctnf/maps-pubs

From the above discussion, it seems the Jackson-Blackrock ranger districts map will provide most of the info you need.

There's also camping along the Grassy Lake Road (aka Ashton-Flagg Ranch Road) which is a rough road at times, 4WD recommended. The last time I was on it, it was fine for highway vehicles, but it had not rained in a long time. It's $2/night but you have a picnic table, pit toilets, trash cans and food storage boxes. For more info:
https://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm and search the website for grassy lake road dispersed camping.

Last edited:
That' s the first I've ever seen "Blackrock Ranger District." Thanks for the links fool. My Map still says Buffalo and Jackson Ranger Districts but it was last updated in 2005. The Station was always Blackrock. WTH.

Agreed. I was used to the old Buffalo District too and happened to notice Blackrock when Buffalo wasn't on the list. Good thing they are keeping us on our toes.