Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022

Wow ! ... what an adventure ... my heart was in mouth at your description of the flood waters rising, with you and your friend stranded on the far side of the gulch, and your backpacks on the other side, slowly being engulfed by water

... your photographs of the trip are also excellent

p.s. I do like this quote from your trip report:

"I try to embody what Barry Lopez called awareness rather than achievement. To me this means rather than having a peak bagging mentality, or finishing a long route for the sake of finishing, or doing a challenging deed faster than others, I want to spend time looking and seeing and photographing and experiencing rather than accomplishing. I don’t mean to criticize the achievers and accomplishers, but that way of experiencing the outdoors is not for me."

Wow ! ... what an adventure ... my heart was in mouth at your description of the flood waters rising, with you and your friend stranded on the far side of the gulch, and your backpacks on the other side, slowly being engulfed by water

... your photographs of the trip are also excellent

p.s. I do like this quote from your trip report:

"I try to embody what Barry Lopez called awareness rather than achievement. To me this means rather than having a peak bagging mentality, or finishing a long route for the sake of finishing, or doing a challenging deed faster than others, I want to spend time looking and seeing and photographing and experiencing rather than accomplishing. I don’t mean to criticize the achievers and accomplishers, but that way of experiencing the outdoors is not for me."
Not a trail runner I take it like so many out there publishing routes ........................

Fabulous and so well written, thanks for sharing! I did a portion of your hike 2 years ago in October and it was bone dry, so reading about your trip gives it a whole different perspective. I need to get a lesson from you on slowing down and doing more research, I need to learn more patience.

So awesome!!! I really need to get back there. It's our Plan B for this Spring, but deep down inside, part of me is secretly hoping Plan A falls through so that I can go to GG instead...

Nice trip report. Glad you didn't head down there to achieve the fastest know time (FKT), but instead spent the time to take it all in. You probably would have gotten the FTK if you really wanted to, but... why take that away from someone else?

I loved your report and photos. Fantastic ancient art and remains! Can't believe the flash flood story - so glad you were ok in the end, and it's such a good reminder of how to stay safe. Bummer that your platypus filter was so poor; we've got one and have had great success with it. Finally, I loved reading your words of appreciation for your wife and hiking partner. :)

The images were icing on the cake, after the excellent write-up that took my imagination along to new places, and some that we day-hiked to this October.

We went in Todie a few years back. The rangers highly discouraged us but we went ahead and did find an entry - not an easy scramble but doable for even flatlanders from Houston. In fact, we spotted a ranger following us back in the distance - I guess making sure we knew what we were doing. Our trip started in at Todie and out Government - we did have a little trouble finding the Government exit as some of my fellow hikers didn't believe I know where the exit was located (I had been in Government before).
Very DETAILED INFO.