Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel

Focker

We had to reroute our planned south kabob to cottonwood and back trip due to high water. Now we want to hike hermits rest to granite rapids. Camp. Day 2 granite rapids to bright angel campground. Day 3 out. Is this doable???
other 3 day routes that put us at brightvangel campground in day 2???? Thanks

There are others here who are much more experienced than I am in GC backpacking. But we hiked most of what you're describing on a 4-day trip in mid-April 2019: Hermit's Rest -> Granite Rapids -> Monument Creek -> Indian Garden -> out.

A few questions:
What month?
What's your backpacking experience and fitness level like?

FYI, we're in our 50s and not fast. You may be much faster with much better knees than ours. So perhaps this isn't helpful, but here goes anyway...

I would not recommend doing Granite Rapids all the way to Bright Angel CG in one day. Here's why:

According to what I just figured out on Caltopo, it's ~16 miles from Granite Rapids to Bright Angel CG. That's a lot no matter what. But it would be especially long on Day 2. Our legs were tired from Day 1's long descent from the top to the bottom (9+ miles, 5000+ ft gross descent). It was really nice to have a relaxed morning after that, rather than rush-rush-rush to pack up and get going super early. Also, if it's hot, as it so often is, the 16 miles could be exhausting. On our 3rd day, when we hiked from Monument to Indian Garden, we knew ahead of time it would be very hot, so we left camp in the dark around 4am and got into Indian Garden late morning, when it was already 100 degrees. You could end up with a lot of hours hiking in the hot afternoon. It seems like that would be hard to enjoy.

I'm not sure what to recommend as an alternative. Sorry!

I'll second what Janice said. Hermit is an ass-kicking trail. Very steep sections in the upper areas, steep with big steps down and sections of cobblestone. If you're carrying 30+ lbs, this will impact your feet and knees pretty good. Then you have to descend the Cathedral stairs, which I recall being very steep again. When I last successfully did it, we camped at Hermit Creek, which was about 7 miles. We were beat!
Going to Granite just adds more miles. Don't let the Tonto fool you, it's not flat. While it's better than any GC assent or descent, it still should not be considered an easy stroll. Also the Tonto has very little shade, so that takes a toll on you as well.

Also consider the temps at the Tonto and lower elevations and when you'd be hitting the devils staircase on Bright Angel. I'm in Phoenix and the temps were in the upper 90's today. Tonto and lower can get to those temps and much higher, so be very careful.
Also consider the time needed to filter water. Filtering the Colorado is not fun. Filtering Monument creek should be fine. Don't rely on anything else unless the Rangers tell you differently. Havasupai Gardens will be your next stop for water.

If you're not familiar with the GC or desert hiking, this is not the hike to get familiar.

20 years ago, I did Hermit TH to Hermit Creek, then next day to Granite Rapids, then next day to Horn Creek, finally last day hiked out via Bright Angel. Those four days were both the hardest and best GC hike I've done, but I vowed never to Hermit again.
In October 2021, now being 50, I decided to give it a try again. I made the smart decision for me to turn around before Santa Maria springs because the weather at the elevation was approaching 90 in the morning and everyone I passed coming up said the inner gorge and Indian Gardens was 110-115 degrees.

We don't know your fitness and experience level, but I'd recommend caution.

I can tell you that hike coming down Hermit is a beatdown on the joints, I don't know if I'd want to do that 16 mile stretch to Bright Angel the very next day. Is there a chance you could get 3 nights rather than 2?

Thanks so
Much. Yes, I hear you. Bummed Cottonwood is closed. Maybe stick with the classic SK to BA camp back up BA trail in 2 days. Thanks again

Glad to hear that you're being cautious. Are you just in the planning stages? When were you planning on doing the trip?

Bummed for you that Cottonwood is closed. Hope you'll have a great trip even though it won't be your preferred itinerary.

We had to reroute our planned south kabob to cottonwood and back trip due to high water. Now we want to hike hermits rest to granite rapids. Camp. Day 2 granite rapids to bright angel campground. Day 3 out. Is this doable???

In my opinion that would not be safe or enjoyable.

I would, however, consider 2 consecutive nights in Hermit Camp. You can browse the old camp above it and work down to the river beneath it to fill up day 2. Or just hang out at the creek all day. Getting off the corridor and away from people & mules and having a lazy morning in camp are 2 things I've learned that I like in the canyon.

Edited to add: I'm talking about BM7 (Hermit Creek)

In my opinion that would not be safe or enjoyable.

I would, however, consider 2 consecutive nights in Hermit Camp. You can browse the old camp above it and work down to the river beneath it to fill up day 2. Or just hang out at the creek all day. Getting off the corridor and away from people & mules and having a lazy morning in camp are 2 things I've learned that I like in the canyon.

Edited to add: I'm talking about BM7 (Hermit Creek)
That's a great idea. @Focker If you still wanted some extra exploring, you can do the two nights at Hermit Creek BM7 and day hike Tonto over to Monument Creek to see the "monument". When you come back out via Hermit, you'll at least have water at Santa Maria springs to help you with the final push.

@Focker From your original description, I get the impression that you're definitely planning to be at Bright Angel for a night. If so, ignore the rest of this! But if you're not wedded to that, you might want to consider Hermit (as above) or Granite Rapids (which sounded like it was a possibility). We loved camping at GR - the rapids were fabulous and it was great to listen to the rushing sound all night long. There's also a calm, shallow area there that was lovely to relax in. Do you have flexibility to camp there 2 nights or camp there 1 night and then Hermit or Monument on your 2nd night and then head back up Hermit to go out? We loved Hermit, Tonto, Monument, Granite - for lots of reasons, including few people and many wildflowers, unlike the corridor trail (at least the part of the corridor trail we were on). The frogs in Monument were incredible - super loud and sounded like sheep.