Grand Bench Road

Nick

-
Do you remember anything about it? Conditions or anything of interest?

I remember it was a little too bumpy to drive as fast as I wanted to, but wasn't difficult or anything. 4WD was not needed, but high clearance was helpful.

This is the exact location where the car was abandoned: https://goo.gl/maps/uRQS4rAsDen

Looking at the photos Kane County put out, it's obvious the road is a bit rutted but totally passable. The Texas couple involved in the ordeal admitted to ignoring signage warning about the possible need for 4x4 and extra supplies. They did get a flat tire, but that's to be expected driving backcountry desert roads in a rental sedan with cheap rubber.

Judging by which way the car was pointing, it would appear that they had turned around and were trying to head back when they got stuck. What a crazy story. Amazing they both survived.

Hey Nick,

I drew out on a desert bighorn sheep down there last year. The road down from Mary Bullock ranch is bad, once you climb back out of Little Valley wash on the dug way. It's not maintained. Once you make Cave spring, the road's easy going down to the point over looking the lake. Good new for you, they just graded the road this week out to Mary's ranch and they did the dugway. I guess they clear that out every 3 years for the ranchers. Now's the time to do it. We had a Polaris Ranger, that dugway sucked last year. We were piling rocks just to get the range up and down that dugway. The road is graded all the way out from Big Water to Mary's ranch.

With all the washes from Big Water out, you better watch the weather. Last Change drainage flooded a few days before I went in, the aftermath was unreal. If it floods, you'll be trapped in there. One nice storm will rip little valley apart, you drive the drainage for 600 years, you couldn't tell there was a road down in there. We only saw one set of tracks after little valley, from the size of the tires, I'm guessing it was a big jacked up Jeep.

Email me if you want more info.

I haven't been but want to follow in your footsteps (tire tracks)!

I was going to walk down that way (upper portion via Mudholes Cyn) last spring, but alas that didn't happen. Curious to see pics if you (or anyone) gets out that way.

Hopefully they’re in order as I placed them, the top two are the east side/top of a little valley wash . The bottom ones are in last chance drainage.

Attachments

• 483328AB-F460-4F08-90DE-8092EF32B755.jpeg
    483328AB-F460-4F08-90DE-8092EF32B755.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 04E1C994-0903-4BF9-B0D2-8748E33FA2CA.jpeg
    04E1C994-0903-4BF9-B0D2-8748E33FA2CA.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 16497463-468E-4976-867A-181A54B631C3.jpeg
    16497463-468E-4976-867A-181A54B631C3.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 4328FC3E-9DC9-4BCD-AE1A-A19447F5AAFB.jpeg
    4328FC3E-9DC9-4BCD-AE1A-A19447F5AAFB.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 163
I was going to walk down that way (upper portion via Mudholes Cyn) last spring, but alas that didn't happen. Curious to see pics if you (or anyone) gets out that way.

When you drop off the west side of 50 mile, which way do you come off. Right there where the gooseneck of Grant bench butts up against 50 mile? Or farther towards Monday and Sunday Canyon? If I remember right, you’ve done the Hayduke Trail a couple times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you drop off the west side of 50 mile, which way do you come off. Right there where the gooseneck of Grant bench butts up against 50 mile? Or farther towards Monday and Sunday Canyon? If I remember right, you’ve done the Hayduke Trail a couple times?

I've only done that part of the Hayduke once and it was via the official route up Monday Canyon. However, I've spoken to a guy who came down Mudholes Canyon and he said it wasn't too bad. I was going to try that or maybe Steer Canyon which comes down right at the upper portion of the Grand Bench Neck. Kelsey briefly writes about this one in one of his books. Actually my dream route through that area would be the ridge separating Sunday and Mudholes. Not sure if it's possible, but looks like it would be awesome if so.

I've only done that part of the Hayduke once and it was via the official route up Monday Canyon. However, I've spoken to a guy who came down Mudholes Canyon and he said it wasn't too bad. I was going to try that or maybe Steer Canyon which comes down right at the upper portion of the Grand Bench Neck. Kelsey briefly writes about this one in one of his books. Actually my dream route through that area would be the ridge separating Sunday and Mudholes. Not sure if it's possible, but looks like it would be awesome if so.

I went to spend more time out along that ridge of 50 mile. My guess the trail comes off 50 mile down into Monday canyon due to the spring/trough that sits up top of there. I would like to hike the foot of 50 from grand bench over to hole on the rock. It looks dewable , but no water sources other then some potholes.

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've driven out to the end twice with a 93 Jeep Cherokee w/ moderate lift, though that was some years ago now, the crux both times was that steep dugway out of little valley canyon, afterward it's a bit of bumpy slower going up and around and on to twisty slick rock till your down on to the flats but then your cruising easy two track all the way out to the point.