GPS Logger

Mike Jones

I am looking for a GPS logger to bring with me on my trip to zion or the grand canyon in a couple weeks. I am basically looking for a device that I can bring along for 5-6 days and have it track gps points so I cna look at my route latter.

I really do not need it for navigation purposes, as I will just be using a map in compass. Are there any decent options for this?

Hi Mike, do you have a smartphone? If so, there are several really good GPS apps on the market that all run under $10 that would suit your needs. Backcountry Navigator, Trimble, and Gaia are all good ones. The only drawback to using a phone for GPS use is the battery drain. But if you're only powering it on every once in a while to log way points then you should be just fine for a few days on just one charge. For a full week you'd be just fine with a backup battery.

Another option is to pickup a really cheap GPS like a Garmin eTrex. I don't know if there is such a thing as a GPS that just logs the route, but the entry level GPS units like the eTrex are pretty dang cheap and will do everything you want and more. Brand new about $100, I bet you could pick up a used one for a lot less. It's extra stuff to carry but they are quite small and light. I think some of the watches do tracking but they're way more $$ than one of these.

Yea I have a garmin gps watch for running witch is awesome, but I believe its only good for four hours, and its rechargeable so I cant bring new batteries for it. Does the one you linked use normal batteries or a rechargeable one? I think batteries is better because you can put new ones in in the field.

Yea I have a garmin gps watch for running witch is awesome, but I believe its only good for four hours, and its rechargeable so I cant bring new batteries for it. Does the one you linked use normal batteries or a rechargeable one? I think batteries is better because you can put new ones in in the field.

It runs off AA batteries. I use lithium AA's and I can usually get 3+ days out of my Garmin Oregon 450.

Hmm.. I would assume but I really don't know. My Oregon 450 has oodles of memory and takes a microSD for expanding. Plus tracks take up pretty much no space. I don't see anything about that in the specs. Maybe check the mfg site. One other thought, I remember I borrowed my bro's etrex once and it was kinda wonky on the tracking. All GPS units have issues in canyons but it was particularly all over the place. If you're really interested in keeping the track, might want to go up the scale a bit. The Dakota or Oregon perhaps.

You could use a SPOT. It will track where you are going, plus provide emergency back-up service if it becomes necessary.

It's all I use...

You do pay yearly service. The other downer is that the tracking only picks up your location every 10 minutes or so and doesn't measure any stats like distance. Nice peace of mind in an emergency though. I used the Spot for a while and now use a DeLorme Inreach because of it's ability for two-way communication.

That's why I carry a solar charger or just a regular battery charger. I have used both of those with pretty good results. The charger that uses AA batteries is more reliable because you can just carry as many AA batteries as you will need. With virtually any GPS you would need to carry several sets of batteries, anyway, if you wanted to run the GPS continuously for several days of keeping a track log. The solar charger works well...if you can have it exposed to lots of sun all day long.

The only problem with that is, battery life. If I am doing a 5 day+ trip, my phone gps will kill my battery way before its over.

This is true... a battery pack would be necessary as Aldaron says. However, you can extend your battery life on many devices by turning off all radios except GPS. That means turn off wifi, bluetooth and cellular data. Any time you're not actually tracking, put the device in airplane mode to kill all of the radios.

Also in your GPS software, use a lower polling rate (MotionX on the iPhone for instance has modes for hiking, driving and flight... the later modes ping your position more frequently because your speed is greater).

I rigged an iPhone charger to my son's R/C truck battery. It will run the iPhone for 5 days depending on your battery. I will use it for 4 days in Canyonlands soon. It would cost $40 including plasti-dip. The battery is from Hobby Town. Other battery packs have turned out to be garbage.

Pics upon request.

I rigged an iPhone charger to my son's R/C truck battery. It will run the iPhone for 5 days depending on your battery. I will use it for 4 days in Canyonlands soon. It would cost $40 including plasti-dip. The battery is from Hobby Town. Other battery packs have turned out to be garbage.

Pics upon request.

Whoa, awesome! I'd love to see some pics. Feel free to start a thread all about it!

You do pay yearly service. The other downer is that the tracking only picks up your location every 10 minutes or so and doesn't measure any stats like distance. Nice peace of mind in an emergency though. I used the Spot for a while and now use a DeLorme Inreach because of it's ability for two-way communication.

I looked at that, but I don't have a cellphone, so it pretty much made that impossible for me. :)