Good deal on a decent pack

Eric Christensen

Let the Wookie go hiking
I have been looking for a pack for about a year now. This pack from Pacific Crest is only $49 at Smith and Edwards out in Farr West. I have actually been looking at it for awhile and just been waiting for a sale and today I found it on sale. I know it probably is not the ultra pack that some of you hard core hikers are looking for, but for those of you like me, penny pinching casual hikers, this is the best deal I have seen in the last year. So just a heads up on this deal.

Smith and Edwards is also a great place to find other great camping/hiking deals. For those of you who have never made the journey out north to visit Smith and Edwards, it is well worth it!! I live close, so I am there at least once a week and love it. they have everything!!! If you want to check them out and want a tour guide, contact me, I am always happy to go there. :)

https://www.smithandedwards.com/products/pacific-crest-denali-65l-pack-2960.html

Looks like it could get the job done. I love S&E. Bought myself a pair of Pacific Crest hiker boots there as a teenager growing up in Roy. They held up pretty good. Another good budget friendly brand is Teton Sports. You can find their stuff at Sportsmans Warehouse. A comparable pack, still under $100 though quite a bit more than that PC pack is the Teton Sports Escape 4300.

[quote="WasatchWill, post: 39630, member: as a teenager growing up in Roy. [/quote]
I grew up in that area too, Kanesville/West Haven actually. I went to Roy High

I have been looking for a pack for about a year now. This pack from Pacific Crest is only $49 at Smith and Edwards out in Farr West. I have actually been looking at it for awhile and just been waiting for a sale and today I found it on sale. I know it probably is not the ultra pack that some of you hard core hikers are looking for, but for those of you like me, penny pinching casual hikers, this is the best deal I have seen in the last year. So just a heads up on this deal.

Smith and Edwards is also a great place to find other great camping/hiking deals. For those of you who have never made the journey out north to visit Smith and Edwards, it is well worth it!! I live close, so I am there at least once a week and love it. they have everything!!! If you want to check them out and want a tour guide, contact me, I am always happy to go there. :)

https://www.smithandedwards.com/products/pacific-crest-denali-65l-pack-2960.html

So how did that Pack work out for you? give us your review!

So how did that Pack work out for you? give us your review!
It worked out great! It has a section at the bottom that can either be left open as part of the main compartment or closed and accessed from it's own zipper on the outside, it was great to put my sons and my jackets in for quick access. There are several outside pockets and I actually find that I do not fill them all up. I used one of the top pockets for our trail snacks. One minus is that it does not have a dedicated water bladder pouch, however, I did not find that to be a problem, I still used my bladder and put extra bottles in the sides. Another minus would be that the straps and frame barely fit me. They are adjustable but I have a long torso and it barely fits me adjusted all the way out. Having said that, the internal frame, straps and belt are all very comfortable.

I carried most of the gear for myself and my two boys and it fit perfectly. My 8 yr old carried his sleeping bag and water bladder and my 7 yr old only carried his water. So this was able to carry food, clothes, cooking gear, a 3 man tent, two sleeping bags, my pad and everything else for me and 2 young boys. I am very happy with this pack, maybe if we were more extreme hikers I may want something else, but for us it works great!

I have found a belt clip mount for my SLR camera that fits on the waist belt that I am going to try out next year, I just hope it works as well as I hope.

This is a shot with the pack on for an overnighter. You an kind of see that I still have plenty of room to attach items to the top. It is comfortable enough to squat at take a selfie with my boys.Causey 9-14 003.jpg

Reactions: Ben
It worked out great! It has a section at the bottom that can either be left open as part of the main compartment or closed and accessed from it's own zipper on the outside, it was great to put my sons and my jackets in for quick access. There are several outside pockets and I actually find that I do not fill them all up. I used one of the top pockets for our trail snacks. One minus is that it does not have a dedicated water bladder pouch, however, I did not find that to be a problem, I still used my bladder and put extra bottles in the sides. Another minus would be that the straps and frame barely fit me. They are adjustable but I have a long torso and it barely fits me adjusted all the way out. Having said that, the internal frame, straps and belt are all very comfortable.

I carried most of the gear for myself and my two boys and it fit perfectly. My 8 yr old carried his sleeping bag and water bladder and my 7 yr old only carried his water. So this was able to carry food, clothes, cooking gear, a 3 man tent, two sleeping bags, my pad and everything else for me and 2 young boys. I am very happy with this pack, maybe if we were more extreme hikers I may want something else, but for us it works great!

I have found a belt clip mount for my SLR camera that fits on the waist belt that I am going to try out next year, I just hope it works as well as I hope.

This is a shot with the pack on for an overnighter. You an kind of see that I still have plenty of room to attach items to the top. It is comfortable enough to squat at take a selfie with my boys.View attachment 24944
We also have just done short overnight hikes so far.

right ON! Im glad that's worked out for you! I see that pack is still available at that price as of Jan 2015 too.... thanks Eric!