Good car camping spot in the Uintas

Nurrgle

Feet on the ground, head in the clouds
So I have a couple of weeks off and I am planning on heading back to the Ogden area to visit family. On the way, I was thinking about stopping in the Uintas for a few nights of car camping with my squaw and pooches. I know a lot of the members here spend quite a bit of time in that area and was hoping for a good recommendation for a place to camp.

I am not sure if I'll be in my xterra or the wife's car so a spot that won't require to much off roading would be nice. I have had some suggestions for Whitney Reservior but that sounds like it might be pretty crowded and I prefer some solitude. Also, a good place to day hike from would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Whether or not you have 4WD will make a big difference, especially if you're near the Mirror Lake Highway. Lots of good stuff over there but to get away from the people, you need the HC 4WD. The north slope road on the other hand can be quite good once you get down it a bit. It's pretty popular with ATVs and stuff but there are plenty of good sites to be had. That also puts you within striking distance of some of the best drainages in the Uintas, West Fork Black's Fork, Allsop/Priord and Christmas Meadows.

But like I said, if you'll have 4wd, I could point you to some good stuff much closer to the Mirror Lake area.

Plenty of spots right off the road. You could also look down the road SW of Washington Lake for some sites.

The further you head down this road the better.
The road gets a bit rough here 40.651439,-110.960648 so beyond this point you wont have to deal with RV's, campers ect.

There's a sweet car camping site here on the south side of broadhead meadow 40.646237,-110.934513 The roads a bit rough from the south side but not as bad if you come in from the north.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

It sounds like my luck has changed, the wife has decided that she would rather spend the three days backpacking (with no push from me of course ;)) in the Uintas or somewhere close to that area. I have been through the trip reports and there are a ton that look killer. Any suggestions for a nice loop or out and back?

Sweet, thanks for the info.

It sounds like my luck has changed, the wife has decided that she would rather spend the three days backpacking (with no push from me of course ) in the Uintas or somewhere close to that area. I have been through the trip reports and there are a ton that look killer. Any suggestions for a nice loop or out and back?

Three days… Uintas. TONS of options. Most of the easy loops are going to be too short for that much time. Here's a few areas in the Uintas I'd hit if I only had 3 days to spend, in no particular order, well except for that first one. ;)

1. West Fork Blacks Fork & Dead Horse Cirque - Bonus points if you can loop it over to Allsop then back down and over to WFBF on the other Highline trail, aka Smiths Fork trail. I think if you loop it like that it's around 30-ish miles. 10 to Dead Horse, 10-ish from Allsop down to EFBR trailhead and then 5-10 in traversing between the two.

2. Rock Creek - Head over Rocky Sea Pass and rock the lakes and basins in the west and north edges of that drainage. Beautiful and remote area but not too difficult to access. Rocky Sea is a breeze. If you're up for it and can work a car shuttle, fun point-to-points can be made by exiting out to WFBF or if you're feeling extra spicy, there are 'routes' from upper rock creek into Priord Lake and Amethyst Lake for exits out to Christmas Meadows or East Fork Bear River.

3. Four Lakes Basin - Beautiful and easily reached in a day with loads of side exploration opportunities. Could be on the busy side though.

4. Red Castle - Lots to explore and a couple different ways to get into it. Loop options available if you're up for a lot of hiking. Plan on having company.

5. Anything out of Christmas Meadows - Amethyst Basin, Middle Basin or West Basin or a combination. Amethyst and Middle Basin can be busy but they're beautiful and there is plenty to explore. West Basin (Kermsuh Lake) is rarely travelled and despite not having quite the awe factor of the other two basins is still very beautiful and offers fantastic camping and fishing opportunities.

1. West Fork Blacks Fork & Dead Horse Cirque - Bonus points if you can loop it over to Allsop then back down and over to WFBF on the other Highline trail, aka Smiths Fork trail. I think if you loop it like that it's around 30-ish miles. 10 to Dead Horse, 10-ish from Allsop down to EFBR trailhead and then 5-10 in traversing between the two.

How far do you think you could get a low clearance car into either of these trailheads (WFBF, Allsop)? (having a car is killing me, I gotta get me a truck!)

How far do you think you could get a low clearance car into either of these trailheads (WFBF, Allsop)? (having a car is killing me, I gotta get me a truck!)

Allsop (East Fork Bear River): all the way, no problemo. Easy, graded road.

WFBF: Unless you have HC 4WD or you happen to be ashergrey, you'll want to stop at the river crossing and hike from there. It'll add a mile, maybe a mile and a half to your trek. Anyone know for sure on that distance? It's been a while?

A mile is probably about right. It's not a bad walk.

Thanks guys! :twothumbs: