Golite sale

Nurrgle

Feet on the ground, head in the clouds
I was looking for a link to my rain jacket for another thread and found myself on the Golite site. They are having a huge sale on all kinds of stuff. Everything they make is pretty close to ultralight and I have had nothing but good experances with there gear. REI doesn't carry them so they fly under the radar for the yippies which is even better for me.

GoLite Sale

Anyone have experience with the Golite quilts or bags?

i use a golite quilt right now - it's fantastic if a little heavier than the competitions at a similar spec. it was a much better deal a few week ago though. they got new stock and the price went back up.

the sale you are seeing now is actually just normal prices. they no longer sell through retail outlets, and subsequently dropped their prices a fair deal. but that said, their prices seem to fluctuate rapidly. i got a new quilt for around 100 bucks this spring. a steal at that price.

i use a golite quilt right now - it's fantastic if a little heavier than the competitions at a similar spec. it was a much better deal a few week ago though. they got new stock and the price went back up.

the sale you are seeing now is actually just normal prices. they no longer sell through retail outlets, and subsequently dropped their prices a fair deal. but that said, their prices seem to fluctuate rapidly. i got a new quilt for around 100 bucks this spring. a steal at that price.
Yeah, I saw they had them for $150 a month ago, but I wasn't sure how warm/comfortable they were so I didn't get one. Does it give you plenty of room once strapped to your pad?

it all depends on you...

i'm 6 even, about 180 pounds. I'm right at the margin between a regular and a long. i believe it's estimated to be a 20 degree bag, i've only had it near freezing, and it's always been plenty comfortable. where the quilt shines though, is in good ol' comfort. i don't like mummy bags, and i'm a side sleeper, so the quilt is ideal for me.

i rarely strap it to my pad. i suppose if it got really cold, you would want it sealed up as best as possible, but i prefer to have it loose, like a quilt. when i do strap it down, it's easily as comfortable as regular mummies. I use a neoair, for reference. A CCF pad would likely be even better. I immediately removed the strap system, and replaced with light triptease cord that is multipurpose for me. When I need to strap it to the pad (wind or cold) I simply tie a loop under the pad to keep the quilt tight.

To compare, these are bags I've used extensively - Montbell SS ul #3 mummy that I quite like - 23 ounces rated at around 30 or 32 degrees I think, but it suffers from cold spots. It is very comfortable though, the stretch feature is awesome. I took it to 24 degrees a couple times, but it was at the absolute end of it's range, with a light down sweater on.

I have a Western Mountaineering Highlite 35 degree bag - 16 ounces - probably the best light bag you can get - but it is tight on features. 1/2 zip, and not very roomy. Stitch through construction - cold spots when it gets below freezing. Only taken it to 40 degrees or so, works great.

And the GoLite 3 Season Quilt - 23 or 24 ounces. No cold spots, lots of loft, but needs to be more carefully managed, especially in cold weather. Took it on the highline crossing last week, it was fantastic.

I find the GoLite to be preferable to the Montbell (thought the MB is a great bag in it's own right). The WM bag is ideal for warm weather trips.

And as a side note in this thread - I have a ton of GoLite products. They aren't always the best - but it's hard to beat their value nowadays. A few weeks ago they had 20 percent off coupons if you wrote a review, which made the super sale even better.

GoLite Pinnacle (now Jam 70)- Huge pack, tons of space, used it a lot on the Grand Canyon project when carrying packrafts, wetsuits, ropes, camera gear, and canyoneering rack. Modified to drain. Used the packraft as a frame. Was excellent.

GoLite Jam (now Jam 50) - Midsize pack, no frame, relatively light, kind of the "standard" frameless pack. Got stolen earlier this year, dammit! Great deal, but I find the comparable products from ULA to be even better. I like the Circuit and the CDT.

GoLite ShangriLa 3 - Best two man shelter I've ever used, period. Love the space, easily fits two of us, and the dog, with room to spare. Only 26 ounces if you shed the inner. Modified trekking poles to use as the support pole. Sheds wind and rain fairly well, but suffers from some panel deflection in high wind. Best value tent I've ever owned, super stoked on this. Probably a squeeze for three adults.

GoLite ShangriLa 1 - Current one man shelter I used frequently. I don't carry the inner, use a tyvek ground sheet. BD Zpoles for support. Comes to right around 21 ounces with stakes and tyvek - extra for the poles I'm carrying anyways. Great in rain and in high wind. Wish I could pitch it tighter to the ground without some modifications, but overall, another great value tent. Got it for $119 early this year. Stoked.

M's Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket - Another awesome value product, but the fit is kind of roomy. Would prefer a more athletic cut. Great loft, great weight, the hood makes it even warmer. Picked this up on the super sale earlier this year as well. Too warm for it right now, but I've taken it out a couple of times, and I think it is the best down coat I own at this weight. Will be good down to 20 degrees, for sure.

Mesa Short - Use it when the weather allows it. Built in briefs. Nice shorts, very light, fairly durable, great support. Sometimes can be 15 bucks or less.

Yunnan hiking pants - Awesome. Lightweight, starting to pill a bit. Very comfortable, keeps the skeeters off. Good for cooler weather. Not durable enough for desert stuff, but good for alpine. Watch for sale. (under $30 i think?)

GoLite gets some hate in the reviews because it's not as light as it used to be. Not sure why some of their stuff has gotten heavier over the years, but when it comes to value, hard to beat it. And still some of the lightest stuff available.

Thanks for the info Dan! nick how far does that poncho go, does it go below the knee or right at it?

Seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the GoLite 3-Season Quilt. Looks like it would be quite adaptable to multiple situations, light weight and warm, especially when paired with a Therm-a-rest NeoAir All Season pad. Any thoughts that this may not be a good combination?

Seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the GoLite 3-Season Quilt. Looks like it would be quite adaptable to multiple situations, light weight and warm, especially when paired with a Therm-a-rest NeoAir All Season pad. Any thoughts that this may not be a good combination?

That thing looks awesome. Too bad they don't have the Tall version available. :( I haven't actually zipped up my bag more than a few times all year. Even with my most recent bag which is a 32 degree, it's been great as a quilt. That's been on top of my NeoAir XLite so I could only imagine it would be even easier to do with the All Season. That's also a full rectangular pad which would be even better, IMO.

yeah, i think it's a solid combination. just beware, a quilt is much more fickle than a mummy bag, might take some trial and error to figure it out. the biggest problem with the neoair is that they are so tall, so it's hard to get the quilt to "seal" around the pad.

anyways, i have a neoair classic with that quilt. i quite like it.

And as a side note in this thread - I have a ton of GoLite products. They aren't always the best - but it's hard to beat their value nowadays. A few weeks ago they had 20 percent off coupons if you wrote a review, which made the super sale even better.

GoLite Pinnacle (now Jam 70)- Huge pack, tons of space, used it a lot on the Grand Canyon project when carrying packrafts, wetsuits, ropes, camera gear, and canyoneering rack. Modified to drain. Used the packraft as a frame. Was excellent.

GoLite Jam (now Jam 50) - Midsize pack, no frame, relatively light, kind of the "standard" frameless pack. Got stolen earlier this year, dammit! Great deal, but I find the comparable products from ULA to be even better. I like the Circuit and the CDT.

GoLite ShangriLa 3 - Best two man shelter I've ever used, period. Love the space, easily fits two of us, and the dog, with room to spare. Only 26 ounces if you shed the inner. Modified trekking poles to use as the support pole. Sheds wind and rain fairly well, but suffers from some panel deflection in high wind. Best value tent I've ever owned, super stoked on this. Probably a squeeze for three adults.

GoLite ShangriLa 1 - Current one man shelter I used frequently. I don't carry the inner, use a tyvek ground sheet. BD Zpoles for support. Comes to right around 21 ounces with stakes and tyvek - extra for the poles I'm carrying anyways. Great in rain and in high wind. Wish I could pitch it tighter to the ground without some modifications, but overall, another great value tent. Got it for $119 early this year. Stoked.

M's Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket - Another awesome value product, but the fit is kind of roomy. Would prefer a more athletic cut. Great loft, great weight, the hood makes it even warmer. Picked this up on the super sale earlier this year as well. Too warm for it right now, but I've taken it out a couple of times, and I think it is the best down coat I own at this weight. Will be good down to 20 degrees, for sure.

Mesa Short - Use it when the weather allows it. Built in briefs. Nice shorts, very light, fairly durable, great support. Sometimes can be 15 bucks or less.

Yunnan hiking pants - Awesome. Lightweight, starting to pill a bit. Very comfortable, keeps the skeeters off. Good for cooler weather. Not durable enough for desert stuff, but good for alpine. Watch for sale. (under $30 i think?)

GoLite gets some hate in the reviews because it's not as light as it used to be. Not sure why some of their stuff has gotten heavier over the years, but when it comes to value, hard to beat it. And still some of the lightest stuff available.

Please explain to me how you're using zpoles to hold up your shangri-la 1. I have the same tent and would like some zpoles but not sure how it can be done without adjustable length poles.

Please explain to me how you're using zpoles to hold up your shangri-la 1. I have the same tent and would like some zpoles but not sure how it can be done without adjustable length poles.

I have 120 cm zpoles - the front pole is fine, no need to adjust. The rear pole is exactly the top two section of a zpole, so I just break down the zpole into two sections - 1 with the bottom segment, and the other with two segments and the handle (collapsed). I put a sock or pack towel over the cord and it goes into the fly, the handle on the ground, and it fits perfectly.

I need to take a photo of it. It works pretty well.

I have 120 cm zpoles - the front pole is fine, no need to adjust. The rear pole is exactly the top two section of a zpole, so I just break down the zpole into two sections - 1 with the bottom segment, and the other with two segments and the handle (collapsed). I put a sock or pack towel over the cord and it goes into the fly, the handle on the ground, and it fits perfectly.

I need to take a photo of it. It works pretty well.

And this method doesnt put any strain on the material that connects the sections together? About how many nights have you camped out this way?

And this method doesnt put any strain on the material that connects the sections together? About how many nights have you camped out this way?
20ish? I'm sure it puts some strain, but not much. the cord has some very strong plastic around it, i've not noticed any wear on them. like i said earlier though, i usually put a sock or something in the pole pocket on the tarp to take some strain off it.

Dan Ransom, thanks for your vote of confidence in the Golite quilt. I did indeed end up getting it and have used it a couple of times, and it is exactly what I wanted. I've been using it with my old REI pad, haven't picked up the Thermarest pad that I've been eyeing, but interestingly enough I see that Thermarest is now offering their own quilt/pad combination type of sleeping system.

Golite has a reputation for having ridiculous sales every so often - here's a chance to get an ultralite pack at a good deal. I've used Jams for a few years - and quite like them. Lightweight, fairly durable, and a good value. Only drawback - gotta learn to pack them well. Highly recommend for this price. http://bcpost.me/TIgPgS

Looks like they'll have more goodies for the next two weeks.

golite.PNG
Still don't understand why they are perpetuating this "suggested retail $240" business... GoLite never sells anything for MORE than 50 percent SRP. So they might as well just say "hey, we have low prices" instead of this rubbish. /rant

Wow! That is an insanely good deal. I just ordered myself an Atmos 50 for Christmas but at $90 that is way tempting...