Gold Butte x2

Are there some reasonable sources of beta about this area online or in books? I've found some TRs but not as much as I'd like. My brother is coming to Utah for a few days in March and I'd like to do a trip with him and my kids (last year same time we were in/around the Maze district and it was really cold-- so would like something a bit lower this time).
I'll hook you up with what I can tomorrow. Also, I'm probably leading some friends on a trip along the Virgin River in AZ the first weekend in March, if you're interested and if that happens to coincide with your trip.

Thanks @Udink! Man I'd love to see some of that stuff along the Virgin River (have eyed that area many times but we always get sidetracked by places that are a bit less of a drive). My trip is fixed on the March 23/24 weekend plus a couple days into the next week due to kids' vacation and my brother's schedule, but I'd love to get away the earlier weekend too.

@Glasterpiece - we spent a lot of time in the Sonoran desert, we like it and I seem to recognize an Organ Pipe Cactus in the first post with the single photo. But where exactly did you take the pictures with the giant white boulders/rocks ? I don't recognize those photos and we like to also visit areas we haven't been to yet. And as an added bonus it always rains for 5 days straight when we visit the desert, so it it would be good for the area in general. :rolleyes:

@Glasterpiece - we spent a lot of time in the Sonoran desert, we like it and I seem to recognize an Organ Pipe Cactus in the first post with the single photo. But where exactly did you take the pictures with the giant white boulders/rocks ? I don't recognize those photos and we like to also visit areas we haven't been to yet. And as an added bonus it always rains for 5 days straight when we visit the desert, so it it would be good for the area in general. :rolleyes:

That is in the Mojave National Preserve just south of Kelso, CA. The whole area has boulder outcroppings scattered about. It's much like Joshua Tree NP without the crowds. We spent a week there and then 20 at Organ Pipe NM Last Oct/Nov.

Here's a great book to get you started.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062585126/?tag=backcountrypo-20

Awesome seeing more pics from that area after first learning of it in a report out there by @Yvonne a while back. I also remember her black light scorpion photos in that report -- my FIL got me a little black light kit this last Christmas specifically for the same purpose. Anyways, I've never seen dead cholla before either -- really neat! Made me think of coral from the sea. And those "frosted" rocks looked amazing as well. Is that the reason for "Finland" in the name for that area? Looks like you could could spend all day picking out various facial profiles/silhouettes in those formations out there as well.

Awesome seeing more pics from that area after first learning of it in a report out there by @Yvonne a while back. I also remember her black light scorpion photos in that report -- my FIL got me a little black light kit this last Christmas specifically for the same purpose. Anyways, I've never seen dead cholla before either -- really neat! Made me think of coral from the sea. And those "frosted" rocks looked amazing as well. Is that the reason for "Finland" in the name for that area? Looks like you could could spend all day picking out various facial profiles/silhouettes in those formations out there as well.

Years ago I had a friend who collected cholla skeletons. He would cover them with Saran wrap, install a wick and fill them with wax. Strip the Saran wrap and you have a beautiful candle.

Great trip report and photos. Thanks for sharing...The problem, though, is that we now have yet one more place on our "want to visit" list! :)