Gloves for photography

wsp_scott

When I hike I usually just wear a pair of wool liner gloves. If there is snow/wet or it is really windy, I have some overmits. My last couple of dayhikes have been with highs in 15-25 degrees which is no problem if I am moving. But, when I slowed down to take photos, my hands ended up freezing even with the liner gloves on. I shoot in manual mode, so obviously the overmits would not work.

All of that is a long way to ask what you all do for your shoulder season and winter photography. Just suffer with cold hands? Take heavy gloves off, then put them back on? Something else?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually remove my gloves and just deal with cold hands while I am taking pictures if I am out for a hike or something where photography isn't the primary goal. I have some fingerless gloves that I wear when it's cold and I am out specifically to take pictures. They are pretty cheap though, so they don't provide much warmth.

A lot of times I will take a glove off if I have to really do some button mashing. However, I usually shoot in Aperture priority so that helps minimize the amount of time I spend with my gloves off. For most landscape f/8 or 9 or so is fine and for most of the day I don't find myself needing to change much else. I know it's a bit lazy, but modern cameras do pretty darn good with metering, and if the exposure is wrong, that's why you shoot in RAW and post process.

To be honest, save for very specific circumstances, I find little use for full manual mode on a camera any more.

Hello,
Currently, I just take my glove off. It annoys me though, cause I have little skeleton fingers that freeze quickly.
B&H has these Glacier Gloves. Kind of pricey (sure there are cheaper versions. Basically, the pointer finger and thumb part of the glove come off to expose your finger tips.
Looks nifty. :)

These are what I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SOTKUE/?tag=backcountrypo-20

They are the best solution I have found so far for me.

Cool! I will have to try them on. Gloves usually are too big on my fingers and so that excess material on the ends is what I struggle with when trying to adjust my settings. Love the pocket for those heat pads!
Wsp_Scott - If you get these, or find something else that works, let us know! :)

A lot of times I will take a glove off if I have to really do some button mashing. However, I usually shoot in Aperture priority so that helps minimize the amount of time I spend with my gloves off. For most landscape f/8 or 9 or so is fine and for most of the day I don't find myself needing to change much else. I know it's a bit lazy, but modern cameras do pretty darn good with metering, and if the exposure is wrong, that's why you shoot in RAW and post process.

To be honest, save for very specific circumstances, I find little use for full manual mode on a camera any more.

I recently got a Sony A7ii which has an Exposure Compensation dial. My Nikon D5100 does not, so I actually had to do a little googling to see why/when I would use this dial. I think I need to do some experimenting with Aperture priority and the exposure compensation dial at least in the winter.

I ended up getting a pair that @IntrepidXJ mentioned above. They are a lot warmer than liner gloves and generally work with the camera. The biggest problem is the thumbs are too long. My fingers fit perfectly, but the thumbs are about a 1/3 inch too long. I'm going to keep using them for now, but I'm going to keep looking.

thanks for the recommendation