Getting water in Yellowstone thermal areas

Pringles

Hi,

If you're hiking in Yellowstone's backcountry, and you need water, if you get water out of a creek that geysers and hot springs flow into, is it ok to use? I would filter or treat it, but do the thermal features add anything to the water that we shouldn't ingest? (Again, I'm not talking about grabbing water out of a hot spring.) Thanks for any information.

I'm not the most knowledgeable in the thermal features of Yellowstone and thermal features in general, but to my knowledge they can hold archaebacteria and possibly toxic to ingest earth metals/nonmetals like sulphur, some alkali's and very rarely radioactive (probably not in Yellowstone though). Archaebacteria can SERIOUSLY mess you up since they are adapted to live in extreme environments. A filter can in theory clean all of this stuff out, and the concentration would be low considering you are getting water from a creek that a geyser so happens to flow into. I hope this somewhat helps, others who actually regularly backpack in the area can weigh in and give their more valuable two cents.

Nice reply Jeff. Way over my head, but I believe you.

I've drank water out of a large number of streams in the park, and never had problems. There is some funky tasting water, especially in Sour Creek, but if you get it out of the river or creek, and not the thermal spring itself, you will be fine. I've drank plenty of water out of Broad Creek where thermal features are running in, and been fine. I've certainly avoided some spots just because there were better choices. The Coffee Pot Hot Springs drainage is one of those I don't trust.

What area specifically are you thinking about?

I will also add that the water in Yellowstone is very hard on a filter. Probably has to do with what Jeff was talking about. You will clog quickly. I've gone to using a Steripen, and therefore have no problem with clogging anymore. But of course that doesn't take out the taste or filter out debris, so you might not like it. Same with tablets.

At this point, I'm not thinking of anywhere in particular, but I was on a day hike this weekend, in a thermal area. While there was a nice creek flowing by, it struck me that water from the hot springs had emptied into the stream, and I wondered if that would really be good to use. I have a filter, and a steripen, or could use treatments, but I began to wonder if there was something extra in this water, and maybe it shouldn't be consumed. Of course, bison and wolves and bears and all the rest drink it, but they may be avoiding some streams and I sure wouldn't know it. So I thought I'd throw out the question. Thanks for your responses.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Rockskipper Maybe it was the BBQ sauce (guy survives 3 weeks w/ no food or water after getting lost) General Discussion 0
trustyfisherman Just getting started Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Bob Wind Rivers ..... for those getting the itch ........ Backpacking 2
balzaccom Getting old.... General Discussion 2
Perry Thinking About Getting WFR Certified General Discussion 13
Rockskipper As ice thaws, rock avalanches on Southeast Alaska mountains are getting bigger General Discussion 0
Rockskipper The Bells - yet another place getting overwhelmed General Discussion 19
r3biker Getting back into hiking Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
McKee80 Getting a late start ... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
stderr Getting back into it... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
seekinglost Uintas Highline Trail Solo Thru Hike - Getting to/from trailheads logistics Trip Planning 59
M Getting Naked Outdoors General Discussion 43
balzaccom Staying in shape...or getting it back General Discussion 9
H Odds of getting a walk-in permit in Glacier NP? Trip Planning 1
Laura Getting that thunderstorm itch….. Photography 17
Nick Getting into river rafting General Discussion 6
Duke Need advice on getting details in fog/clouds Photography 14
intuitive cat getting photos printed using an online printer Photography 4
uintahiker Thinking about getting new boots Gear 7
R Getting to All American Man Trip Planning 3
B Is there water at Colt Mesa tank - Escalante Trip Planning 6
Janice Caching water? General Discussion 8
Bob 206 mile water trail Trip Planning 0
kwc Smoke on the water … fire in the sky … General Discussion 6
JBG Water Beta 2022 - Highline Trail Trip Planning 6
regehr potable water in Escalante town? Trip Planning 6
regehr water in lower muley twist? Trip Planning 0
Janice Water questions - Escalante area Trip Planning 38
Nethos Another water post(Bowdie/Midway) Trip Planning 10
H Access to Grand Gulch via Water Canyon Trip Planning 2
CodyL Winds- Big water slide Trip Planning 3
RyanP Sawyer Squeeze questions: how to pre-filter, and recommended dirty-water bag? Gear 30
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek conditions/water Trip Planning 0
B In Government Trail and out Water Canyon Trip Planning 3
Christo Water availability:Thorofare Yellowstone Trip Planning 6
RyanP road from Hite to Water Hole Flat Trip Planning 20
JBG Water on the Highline Trail - 2021 Trip Planning 2
garyhost Cedar Mesa Utah Trip. Conditions? Water? Trip Planning 8
RyanP Conditions (water/bugs) for Escalante/Death Hollow Trip Planning 27
J Grand Gulch (Kane to Bullet) Water Availability Trip Planning 9
E Water in the Needles early-May 2021 Trip Planning 3
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
F Stevens Canyon/southern escalate water availability. Trip Planning 16
gnwatts Grand Gulch water Trip Planning 6
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
M Dark Canyon Complex Water Data Trip Planning 4
P Salt Creek water Backpacking 2
P Pitchstone Plateau water Backpacking 7
C Paria Canyon water source - August 2020 Trip Planning 2
OldBill Water treatment tablets and Cryptosporidium Gear 15