George Steck's Grand Canyon Loops

futurafree

Does anyone have his two books or experience with any of the loops? I'm curious if they all require class 5 climbs or if some loops keep it at class 4 and below. I found a Caltopo that seems to map out many of the routes and it's intriguing. Also, I found this old blog from a guy reminiscing about an attempted Steck loop in '90 that turned into a disaster. He later became an expert in the Grand Canyon, but this sounded like a tragicomedy of errors.

Or anyone have other guide book recommendations for off-trail GC adventures?

You may find info you are looking for on one of theses sites. They are two that pioneered the GC country.....
Thanks--some of the older maps feel like following the treasure map from Goonies. Just needs more skulls/crossbones and burn holes in the paper.

There must be something about the name Bob that makes a man go out in the wilderness for long stretches. Bordasch, Ribokas, Marshall, you.

• Haha
Reactions: Bob
I have been on his route where he has pinned abandoned packs but coming from Kanab Crk. I think Kanab Crk is way nicer than Tapeats. That way is known as the Cranberry Route, he calls it "the chutes". I have a trip report here and on utube. It is one of the few places I place the skull/crossbones on my routes.

There is a trail from Thunder River to Deer Creek.

Last edited:
If you can do hidden creek you can do cranberry or viceversa ..... It's one of the few places I've been scared. Wouldn't do it again . The climb up from the river is nothing . Then there is the steep scramble thru the redwall. After the Redwall you have to traverse a dirt, clay, shale layer that is steep and hardpacked. One slip here, you will slide to the redwall and over..... about 800 vertical....NO survival in that fall.

Here is our route:
Click here to view on CalTopo
Utube slide show:
About 6:40 to 7:50 is up and thru Cranberry.

If you can do hidden creek you can do cranberry or viceversa ..... It's one of the few places I've been scared. Wouldn't do it again . The climb up from the river is nothing . Then there is the steep scramble thru the redwall. After the Redwall you have to traverse a dirt, clay, shale layer that is steep and hard. One slip here, you will slide to the redwall and over..... about 800 verticle....NO survival in that fall.
Ha, you even had a skull/crossbones on that map! Yeah, that was one of the loops I was NOT planning to do. I've been in the area a couple of times, gone off-trail from Deer Creek to Kanab (not fun), so the main part of that loop that would be new is the difficult-to-find chute and sketchy shale.

Ha, you even had a skull/crossbones on that map! Yeah, that was one of the loops I was NOT planning to do. I've been in the area a couple of times, gone off-trail from Deer Creek to Kanab (not fun), so the main part of that loop that would be new is the difficult-to-find chute and sketchy shale.
Hike from Kanab Crk to Deer Creek isnt bad. No real trail. The slope up to Cranberry is very definite.

Hike from Kanab Crk to Deer Creek isnt bad. No real trail. The slope up to Cranberry is very definite.
Well, full disclosure/midnight confession: I hitched half of that distance in a boat full of government geologists. Pure heaven compared to the shoreline rubble.

Reactions: Bob
Ive have ridden twice (once full canyon, back in 1972. Other we got a ride from boat at Fishtail Rapids to Kanab. hiked once. Actually liked the hike along the river.

Just read that article..had t seen it before. They made a ton of mistakes, some of which he admitted to.

"Some of the people should not have been on this hike"

Yep!

I remember reading that account when I was prepping for our Deer/Tapeats trip last fall. It made quite an impression on me, and we made sure not to have an experience like that one.

Back