From Chicago

StrayDog

I’m a city boy and am new to the community. Took my first backpacking trip along Slough Creek (3 dayys, 2 nights) in 2018 and promised myself I would take a trip every year. In 2019, I backpacked from the NE corner of Yellowstone Lake (9 mile trail) down to the Thorofare, across the southern boundary of Yellowstone to Hawk’s Rest in the Teton Wilderness and then from there to Turpin Meadow (9 days, 8 nights). Amazing trip! Promised myself I’d do at least one trip each year. In 2020, I had a trip planned to Heart Lake, but my partners dropped due to Covid, and my wife didn’t want me to hike it solo so I missed last year. I’m looking at options for 2021, which brought me here. Seems like a great community and I look forward to participating in it!

You've been through some incredible areas, and I'm jealous! What routes are on the drawing board for 2021?

Hi Jackson,

I’d like to do the Gall
Sorry accidentally hit reply. I’d like to do the Gallatin Skyline Trail in the NW section of Yellowstone. Looks like some amazing scenery ... but nothing firm yet. Any info on that area? Best time to go? I was thinking mid-July given the elevation.

That would be awesome. I have very little info on that area, unfortunately, but I have no doubt it'll be great. I hiked the far eastern end of it in September and it was very pleasant. Mid-July to mid-August would probably be good though. That seems to be the sweet spot. I'd also recommend into September as well since it's guaranteed to be less buggy and probably drier then too.

Sorry accidentally hit reply. I’d like to do the Gallatin Skyline Trail in the NW section of Yellowstone. Looks like some amazing scenery ... but nothing firm yet. Any info on that area? Best time to go? I was thinking mid-July given the elevation.
I did the Gallatin Crest in mid-late August this past year. That seems to be the sweet spot for much of the Mountain West, given that the bugs have abated by then. The grasses are golden, rather than green - whatever you find prettier is a personal preference.

That would be awesome. I have very little info on that area, unfortunately, but I have no doubt it'll be great. I hiked the far eastern end of it in September and it was very pleasant. Mid-July to mid-August would probably be good though. That seems to be the sweet spot. I'd also recommend into September as well since it's guaranteed to be less buggy and probably drier then too.
Thanks to you and LarryBoy for the info. Sounds like pushing it back a bit might be the best option. Can’t wait to get back on the trail!

Thanks to you and LarryBoy for the info. Sounds like pushing it back a bit might be the best option. Can’t wait to get back on the trail!
You can definitely make mid-July work just fine if it's what works best for your scheduling, but yeah, if I lived farther away and had to make significant itinerary plans, I'd plan my western backpacking trips for August through early October for optimal conditions.

Back