Frary Peak - December 5, 2020

scatman

With no snow this week in northern Utah, my hiking was extended for another weekend, so my daughter and I took a trip out to Antelope Island State Park to give Frary Peak a go.

Frary Peak is a popular hike and we saw quite a few hikers, particularly on our way down. While there were only nine other vehicles at the trailhead when we arrived, there were forty one parked at the trailhead when we finished up. Even so, we lucked out and were able to enjoy our lunches with no one else up top. When we arrived at the summit, there was one other person, but he left as soon as we arrived, and we didn't see anyone else until we were hiking down.

We did get to see some antelope, three deer and numerous bison, in addition to hearing a chukar and a coyote on our way up. We were hoping to get to see some bighorn sheep, but alas, the were to stealthy for us.

Of course, this time of year, if we don't get periodic storms to roll through, the inversion begins to build up in the valleys. The current inversion made for a hazy hike and some Middle Earth (other-worldly) views at times.

Here are some shots of our hike.

01.jpg
Frary Peak ahead

02.jpg
Antelope

03.jpg
A lot of nice rock formations on this hike

04.jpg
More rocks

05.jpg
Making some headway. I think?

07.jpg
Bison herd off in the distance to the north and below us.

08.jpg
A hill (Elephant Head) on the west side of the island

09.jpg
Very cold in the shade - my fingers froze when I wasn't in the sun

10.jpg
Another bison a little closer to us

11.jpg
And a couple more

12.jpg
Nice view to the northwest as we work our way up to the ridge

13.jpg
Inversion of the Salt Lake Valley with Lone Peak, The Pfeifferhorn, Broads Fork Twin Peaks among others can be seen above the haze

13b.jpg
Katie, taking a shot of another herd of bison locate down below on the east side of the island

14.jpg
View to the east, with Francis Peak in the distance

06.jpg
Hard to tell if I am above the inversion layer

15.jpg
View to the west, with Stansbury Island and its high point Castle Rock peaking above the inversion

16.jpg
Staying to the west with the Stansbury Range and Deseret Peak

17.jpg
Making our way along the west side of the summit ridge

18.jpg
Other-worldly view of the south end of Antelope Island

19.jpg
Just a few more feet to the summit

20.jpg
Looking north from the summit along the summit ridge

21.jpg
Nothing like enjoying a homemade turkey sandwich from Turkey Day leftovers.

22.jpg
I picked up a new REI Trail-40 day pack to replace my Traverse-35 that was falling apart on me. The Church Fork Peak hike was its
maiden voyage last week.

23.jpg
View to the northeast from the summit, with Mount Ogden in the distance

24.jpg
Black rock along the ridge as we work our way back down

25.jpg
Hey @Rockskipper - They named a knob after my mule! Dooley Knob as seen through a short rock tunnel

26.jpg
Some bison on our way out.

27.jpg
Beautiful animal.

Last edited:
The inversion sucks, but your photos are awesome! I like how frequent you get outside on a hike, nice. Bonus points for getting Katie out too. Chukar???? Had to look that up, have you ever seen one? Lots of cool wildlife on your hike, sorry the Bighorn were missing. Outside Denver in one of the canyons, it's hit or miss : either they are all out or we don't see any.

To be honest, the inversion hasn't been as big of a deal this year as in some past years. Yeah, we've got high pressure sitting overhead, but with so many folks not commuting right now, we're pumping less pollution into the air. Silver - or smoggy - lining I guess!

The inversion sucks, but your photos are awesome! I like how frequent you get outside on a hike, nice. Bonus points for getting Katie out too. Chukar???? Had to look that up, have you ever seen one? Lots of cool wildlife on your hike, sorry the Bighorn were missing. Outside Denver in one of the canyons, it's hit or miss : either they are all out or we don't see any.

I've seen many Chukars over the years, particularly on my hikes in the ranges of the west dessert. Katie enjoys the hikes too. She may not get out this coming weekend because she has her finals next week. Of course, if the weather turns, I won't be out either. :)

To be honest, the inversion hasn't been as big of a deal this year as in some past years. Yeah, we've got high pressure sitting overhead, but with so many folks not commuting right now, we're pumping less pollution into the air. Silver - or smoggy - lining I guess!

Probably true. They say a Friday disturbance might stir things up and move the inversion out.

That picture of Dooley Knob with the natural frame is great. I am pretty ignorant about Utah wildlife so I am glad to learn there are Bison running around in the wilderness areas. Another cool thing I have learned from this forum.

That picture of Dooley Knob with the natural frame is great. I am pretty ignorant about Utah wildlife so I am glad to learn there are Bison running around in the wilderness areas. Another cool thing I have learned from this forum.
Bison were introduced to the island back in the late 1800's. I've read the island has a caring capacity for about 700 bison, but I have no idea if the herd is that large or not. I do know that they cull the herd every October, so maybe they are approaching hovering around the caring capacity.