Frary Peak - Antelope Island - January 7, 2022

scatman

We've had a January thaw here in Salt Lake for the past four days, so yesterday I headed out with my daughter to summit Frary Peak on Antelope Island.

It was a balmy 39 degrees when we arrived at the unofficial trailhead, and when we returned after our hike it was 51 which is pretty warm for January here.

Along our way, we ran into a bison herd, and got to hear many, and see one coyote who was trying to make his way through the bison. At the summit of Frary, we watched a hawk soar and then dive over and over again while we ate our lunches. On the way up, we had the trail to ourselves, only running into two groups on our way back down. Oh, I might mention that I slipped on the icy trail on the way up and took a spill. That was the point I stopped to put my micro spikes on, and wouldn't you know that one of them broke. Oh well, I managed.

Here are some shots of our hike.

01.jpg
Frary Peak

02.jpg
At the unofficial trailhead. The gate to the official trailhead was closed, so we had to park down the hill and walk about .5 miles to
reach the official one.

03.jpg
Signage for the Mountain View Trail, next to where we parked, which skirts the east side of the island.

04.jpg
A look back down to the Subaru and the Mountain View Trail, on our way to the official trailhead

05.jpg
The official trailhead with Frary Peak above

06.jpg
Info sing for Frary Peak

07.jpg
On our way back down we decide to take the spur trail to Dooley Knob

08.jpg
Starting out - making sure the knees still bend. :moses:

09.jpg
View to the northeast as we climb the hill, looking way north towards the Wellsvilles

10.jpg
Frary peak on our left

11.jpg
Arriving at the Dooley spur trail. Did you happen to notice that at the trailhead it said that the spur trail was 0.6 miles long, but
here is says that it is 0.7 miles long? If I factor in the McGirt Coefficient, then I say that it is 0.8 miles long. :)

12.jpg
At the saddle, we ran into these. They took off to the west which was kind of neat, listening to them all run together. I swear that
I could almost feel the ground shake. :) Oh and that is Buffalo Point in the distance.

13.jpg
This small sage plant was just too cute for me to pass up taking a picture of it.

14.jpg
So this is where the herd ended up after they ran away upon seeing us. White Rock Bay below.

15.jpg
Looking back on Dooley Knob

16.jpg
Elephant Head to the west

17.jpg
Another view to the northeast

19.jpg
Just a gorgeous January day. Looking back down on Elephants Head and off to the Newfoundlands @swmalone. :thumbsup:

18.jpg
Making some headway it seems. It was just after this shot that I fell on the icy trail

20.jpg
Two or three inches of snow at this point as we make our way to the top of the ridge.

21.jpg
Katie up ahead

22.jpg
On top of the ridge looking back to the north.

23.jpg
Red Rocks Canyon. Stansbury and Carrington Islands to the west

24.jpg
Drooping over to the west side of the mountain as we work our way to the summit

25.jpg
The Mormon Rocks, with Buffalo Point in the distance, and even further, Freemont Island and the Promontory Range

26.jpg
Looking down the south spine of Antelope Island towards the north end of the Oquirrh Mountains

27.jpg
At the summit

28.jpg
The summit

29.jpg
Looking down on Unnamed Peak 6198 with the Stansbury Range in the distance

30.jpg
Okay it's decision time! Would you rather go on a hike with Birdseed Man or Scatman? :D Someone had hung this in the juniper
tree next to the summit.

31.jpg
Heading back down

32.jpg
Icy trail - looking north

33.jpg
Dooley Knob ahead!

34.jpg
View from the top of Dooley Knob, slightly southwest

35.jpg
View from the knob to the north

36.jpg
Horsemen below. Or maybe one of those is a mule? :thinking: Wishful thinking. :)

37.jpg
On top of Dooley Knob. Now for those of you who don't know, my mule's name is Dooley and when you reach its namesake's knob,
well, you just half to break out in song. Now if we can get @Rockskipper to twang the mouth harp, and if @TractorDoc can strum
his banjo, and if we can get @The Trout Whisperer and @kwc to join in and blow across their jugs, we can commence to doing a
virtual jig to this song:

Dooley was a good ole man
He lived below the mill
Dooley had two daughters
And a forty-gallon still
One gal watched the boiler
The other watched the spout
And mama corked the bottles
And ole Dooley fetched 'em out.
Dooley slippin' up the holler
Dooley try to make a dollar
Dooley give me a swaller
And I'll pay you back someday.
The revenuers came for him
A-sippin' though the woods
Dooley kept behind them all
And never lost his goods
Dooley was a trader
When into town he'd come
Sugar by the bushel
And molasses by the ton.
Dooley gimme a swaller
And I'l pay you back someday.
I remember very well
The day ole Dooley died
The women folk weren't sorry
And the men stood round and cried
Now Dooleys on the mountain
He lies there all alone
They put a jug beside him
And a barrel for his stone.
Dooley gimme a swaller
And I'll pay you back someday.

My feet are already starting to tap! Jig away! :D

38.jpg
Frary Peak as seen from the top of Dooley Knob. All this jigging has got me worn out.

39.jpg
Katie, on her way down from the knob

40.jpg
Approaching the unofficial trailhead

41.jpg
Packed up and ready to roll.

The End.

Wow, this read like Tolkien, what with the gripping, icy heights, yelping large dogs, danger of slipping, thundering herd and especially a song.

No elusive big horn? Or did they remove them again? I do like Antelope Isle in the cold months. No flies, and the air smells a little crisper, plus almost never a bad sunset.
51d, was it breezy? Sure a different story from last week outside.

Did you know that they named Dooley Knob for a mule with that name who carried that stone marker for the USGS to the top? True story. One of my Doology profs at the U told me that.

One question: I've always wondered what the bison and other critters drink out there (from Dooley's still?) - Aren't they surrounded by saltwater?

And I really like that country - nice TR.

Last edited:
Earliest I have ever hike Frary was late February and there was virtually no snow or ice that year. I have been avoiding Antelope Island lately due to the crowds and the increased fees, I may have to go visit in the next couple weeks if the weather cooperates.

nice!!
I've gotten turned around near the summit due to icy trail, glad you persevered!

Since @scatman has provided us with lyrics and given us our musical instrument assignments, does this mean that @scatman will be warbling the melody across the wild of Yellowstone? Between that scenario and the presence of circus peanuts we are guaranteed to not see a single animal of any size while we wander through Yellowstone. And probably scare off every bird for miles except for maybe vultures. Ah, what a thing to look forward to!!!

A fine trip report, but what we really what to know is: what's cooking afterwards?

I'm skeptical that you found "bird seed man" in a tree -- I think that was your summit celebratory snack.

One has to get their fiber in somehow. . .

Wow, this read like Tolkien, what with the gripping, icy heights, yelping large dogs, danger of slipping, thundering herd and especially a song.

No elusive big horn? Or did they remove them again? I do like Antelope Isle in the cold months. No flies, and the air smells a little crisper, plus almost never a bad sunset.
51d, was it breezy? Sure a different story from last week outside.

To be compared to Tolkien, wow, what an honor. :) While not as melodic as Far Over the Misty Mountains, Dooley does have its charm. You know, I went to a private catholic school when I was a kid, and in fourth grade, back in 1973, Sister Laundry had the class read The Hobbit. It made quite an impression on me. And Sister Laundry was always my favorite nun from that point on.

I didn't see any bighorn. I told my daughter that there used to be some out here, but I thought that they had gotten some disease and were removed, but my memory is pretty sketchy and I wasn't sure. Have they put more back on the island?

It was breezy on the summit, and the gusts were pretty strong. We stepped down off the summit to the east, out of the wind to eat our lunch. And on our way down ,once we left the main ridge, we didn't have anymore wind to contend with - none on Dooley's.

Did you know that they named Dooley Knob for a mule with that name who carried that stone marker for the USGS to the top? True story. One of my Doology profs at the U told me that.

One question: I've always wondered what the bison and other critters drink out there (from Dooley's still?) - Aren't they surrounded by saltwater?

And I really like that country - nice TR.

There are a few springs on the island and on the east side of the road as one is driving to the trailhead, there is a large water tank. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other tanks on the island too, though I haven't actually seen any other ones.

Since @scatman has provided us with lyrics and given us our musical instrument assignments, does this mean that @scatman will be warbling the melody across the wild of Yellowstone? Between that scenario and the presence of circus peanuts we are guaranteed to not see a single animal of any size while we wander through Yellowstone. And probably scare off every bird for miles except for maybe vultures. Ah, what a thing to look forward to!!!

On previous trips, if I'm singing too much, @TractorDoc usually just nails me with a rock to the head to get me back in line. ;)

Circus Peanuts are second only to elk gut piles to attract a grizzly. We are almost guaranteed to see a bear, just ask @wsp_scott. :)

A fine trip report, but what we really what to know is: what's cooking afterwards?

I had peperoni spaghetti after the hike. I can't take credit for it though because my wife made it. I still should have taken a picture of it and posted it. It is quite good. I'll be making some Santa Fe soup tonight in the Dutch Oven, so I'll get some shots of it up later today.

I'm skeptical that you found "bird seed man" in a tree -- I think that was your summit celebratory snack.

One has to get their fiber in somehow. . .

Well, I do need my fiber, but I promise you that I didn't even take a small nibble, though I was powerfully hungry at the time. What self control I do have. :D Not!

Which school grounds might those be?
The elementary school over in Vernal. It was pretty chewed up, but after I cleaned it up, it turned out nice. It has only ten holes, which means only 10 notes, but is a pretty translucent pink plastic. Nice! I can already play a few tunes, like Ghost Riders in the Sky, though not the yippee kai yo part yet.

The elementary school over in Vernal. It was pretty chewed up, but after I cleaned it up, it turned out nice. It has only ten holes, which means only 10 notes, but is a pretty translucent pink plastic. Nice! I can already play a few tunes, like Ghost Riders in the Sky, though not the yippee kai yo part yet.

Probably in the Key of C, but you should be able to get 19 notes. There is one on the blow and one on the suck with one repeated. There are lots of great campfire songs that are pretty easy to play on the harmonica.

I didn't see any bighorn. I told my daughter that there used to be some out here, but I thought that they had gotten some disease and were removed, but my memory is pretty sketchy and I wasn't sure. Have they put more back on the island?

Seems 25 were released just last year, after the previous attempted sheep had to be euthanized in 2018.
Utah State Parks- Article

And good on Sister Laundry! haha.

Now loved this trip report. Have never made it over to Antelope Island, maybe next spring when biking back north. Loved the lyrics.