Four Pass Loop this August

Unimog

Hi, I've got a group of guys wanting to do the Four Pass Loop over around the Maroon Bells this August. Unfortunately, I'm expecting lots of people, but we can deal with that. We are a pretty well seasoned group, but anybody have any advice on conditions, logistics, gear, direction, etc? If anyone in the SLC area has done this, I'd love to take you to lunch and talk over your experience.

-Eric

Nobody done this or have advice?

I did this trip last July with my son. It is really beautiful. I'm new to this site and am just figuring out how to use it, but I'll attach a few pics and give you some beta.

This is a really popular trip. Very beautiful, mostly above treeline. Bring your camera!

We did the trip in 3 days, not too difficult to do so. The loop we did was 31 miles (we took a short detour to Geneva Lake). We camped about 5 miles up from Crater Lake the first night. Lots of porcupines in our camp and all over that drainage (West Maroon Creek), I would not recommend camping there, they kept us up all night digging around our packs for salt. Hiked over Maroon Pass and Frigid Air pass next morning and hiked all the way to Geneva Lake. There is a very steep uphill for about 3 miles before Trail Rider Pass, it was really unpleasant in the heat of the afternoon. The hike down from Trail Rider to Snowmass Lake is unbelievably pretty. We hiked from Geneva Lake over Trail Rider and Buckskin passes and back to the starting point at Crater Lake.

Colorado is very prone to afternoon lightning. Be sure to hike as early as you can to avoid being above timberline by 1 PM or so. This a popular trip, you'll see a fair amount of traffic on the trail. Next time I go, I will plan to start really early (4 or 5 AM), hike up over Maroon Pass, over Frigid Air, and then camp in the trees in the Fravert Basin. That would be a long 15 miles or so, but it would be possible for a fit hiker. If the weather turned, you could hike down to the trees between Maroon Pass and Frigid Air, that would be a mile or so detour, not too bad. Geneva Lake was nice campsite and not crowded, I'd probably camp there 2nd night and hike out from there. Snowmass Lake is very crowded. You could do this in 4 or 5 days and have a very comfortable time, you'd just have to plan well to be in the trees by the afternoon.

Here is a link to a trip report (not my own) that you might find useful.

http://www.summitpost.org/four-pass-loop/327228

2013-07-09 08.56.45.jpg 2013-07-08 20.28.10.jpg 2013-07-10 11.29.08.jpg 2013-07-08 19.56.25.jpg

I did this trip last July with my son. It is really beautiful. I'm new to this site and am just figuring out how to use it, but I'll attach a few pics and give you some beta.

Exactly what I was looking for! We will probably do it in 4 days or maybe even 5. I had heard about the thunderstorms, but I hadn't thought about planning campsites quite so carefully.

Thanks, Kwooley!
-Eric

When I did the 26 mile loop many years ago...in 3 days...we passed a few people training for whatever it is those crazy fit people train for over there around Aspen. They were doing this hike in a day. The record is 4 hours, 26 minutes, so that's something to shoot for.....
Expect lots of people. But it is incredibly beautiful and worth doing.

I have not done the whole loop, just sections surrounding Crater, Willow lake and Buckskin Pass. I have found if you pick the right time of year, maybe a little earlier or later in the season in the middle of the week (you will need to deal with some snow), you will find a lot less people. If you get to the gate at Maroon Bells before 8am you can drive up to the parking area at Maroon Lake and avoid a pain in the ass shuttle. I can't emphasize enough how dangerous this route can be in bad weather. There is no cover over large sections of the route as it is above treeline. I have had thunder in the morning and sunshine in the early afternoon, and the next day the opposite can happen. Very unpredictable.
I think Kwooley pretty much covered it.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mikjik86 Backpacking Four Pass Loop Backpacking 2
Joey Backpacking Colorado's Maroon Bells, Snowmass Wilderness, Four Pass Loop in mid October Backpacking 21
danger02ward Grandaddy Basin, Four Lakes Basin, Cyclone Pass Backpacking 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
RyanP Four Days in the IPW (8/9 - 8/12) Backpacking 17
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
2eez4life Four lakes or Naturalist Trip Planning 5
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 31
napatony13 Four Day, Four State Petroglyph Tour Hiking & Camping 10
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
NorthwestWanderer Big Four Ice Caves Hiking & Camping 1
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
Nick Four Wheel Campers General Discussion 81
regehr Three of the Four American Fork Twin Peaks Hiking & Camping 10
kansas ruins in the four corners area Trip Planning 6
Shannon Three-four day loop trail ideas? Trip Planning 2
natylka 23 miles of GrandDaddy Basin and Four Lakes Backpacking in July Backpacking 2
ram Part four- Bargain Basement Canyoneering 1
Nick Four Lakes Basin - Uintas Backpacking 12
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
balzaccom Desolation: Rockbound Pass Backpacking 0
Outdoor_Fool Brooks Range trek - Anaktuvuk Pass to the Haul Road - Cancelled Flight - last minute change-up Backpacking 21
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
P Season Backcountry Pass at Yellowston General Discussion 9
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
TeamJenkins17 Bonneville Pass - August 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
C Dinwoody/Bonney Pass Summer Conditions Trip Planning 1
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
marmot_boi Hailey Pass-Cirque of The Towers loop Backpacking 14
NorthwestWanderer Washingtons Okanogan National Forest : PCT/grass hopper pass Backpacking 7
fossana Wire Pass fire (impacting House Rock Rd/Buckskin Gulch) Trip Planning 3
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
b.stark Wrangell-St Elias "Seven Pass Route" Backpacking 29
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Pasayten Wilderness : Harts Pass, PCT, Windy Pass, Buffalo Pass, Foggy Pass, Jim Pass, Hulman Pass & Rock Pass Meadows Backpacking 3
Perry July 14th Dead Horse Pass Recon Trip Hiking & Camping 10
NorthwestWanderer Dayhike to Gothic Basin & Foggy Pass Hiking & Camping 1
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
S Washakie: E. Dunoir Creek - Shoshone Pass Info Trip Planning 13
woodmaker_58 Table Mt to Hurricane Pass/ Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 5
NorthwestWanderer Overnighter in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness : Ingalls Pass and Lake Ingalls Backpacking 9
Rockskipper Snowshed on Red Mountain Pass, Colorado, 3-16-19 General Discussion 7