Four lakes or Naturalist

2eez4life

Current plans this weekend are to head into Naturalist Basin for 3 days 3 nights, but I'm also rolling the idea around of doing four lakes basin instead since I've never been there before.
Anyone want to chime in about their opinion of the best option here?

This early in the season, either would be great.
Four Lakes is a bit more compact, with it being set around some good, standard Uintas type cliffs. With the ice coming off and snow, I bet it is beautiful.
Naturalist might just get my vote at this time of year because there should be a dozen or more waterfalls from the upper to lower basin. That creek/meadow crossing on the way to Jordan at the junction will probably be underwater, (as will probably a few other meadows on the way to either Four Lakes or Naturalist).
If you are going that far to either basin, then I am sure your feet will be wet and muddy long before that though.
If you plan for Four Lakes and it is too much a slog, you could always just turn left and head up to Naturalist.

Tell us how it goes. I have plans to head into somewhere in the Uintas next Thursday afternoon.

This early in the season, either would be great.
Four Lakes is a bit more compact, with it being set around some good, standard Uintas type cliffs. With the ice coming off and snow, I bet it is beautiful.
Naturalist might just get my vote at this time of year because there should be a dozen or more waterfalls from the upper to lower basin. That creek/meadow crossing on the way to Jordan at the junction will probably be underwater, (as will probably a few other meadows on the way to either Four Lakes or Naturalist).
If you are going that far to either basin, then I am sure your feet will be wet and muddy long before that though.
If you plan for Four Lakes and it is too much a slog, you could always just turn left and head up to Naturalist.

Tell us how it goes. I have plans to head into somewhere in the Uintas next Thursday afternoon.
Rodger that. Thanks for the input. Will be hard to resist some transient waterfall action in Naturalist.
I will report back for sure. Especially on the question posed in the Uintas conditions thread regarding bugs.

Enjoy.
Bugs are relative, and vary by area depending on temp and how recent the ice came off...
Mud and walking through meadows and forest that are now streams are memories that live forever.

Enjoy.
Bugs are relative, and vary by area depending on temp and how recent the ice came off...
Mud and walking through meadows and forest that are now streams are memories that live forever.
Destination was Naturalist, Morat lakes. It was phenomenal with the waterfalls, weather events and the complete lack of bugs.

Excellent. Glad it was phenomenal! (I mean it is such a terrible place)

I am likely to find bugs at some point, but maybe I will be lucky.
It is also looking like some weather for this weekend too, which is always better.
I leave in 4-5 hours to somewhere undetermined, but not likely from that trailhead.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
danger02ward Grandaddy Basin, Four Lakes Basin, Cyclone Pass Backpacking 0
natylka 23 miles of GrandDaddy Basin and Four Lakes Backpacking in July Backpacking 2
Nick Four Lakes Basin - Uintas Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
RyanP Four Days in the IPW (8/9 - 8/12) Backpacking 17
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 31
napatony13 Four Day, Four State Petroglyph Tour Hiking & Camping 10
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
NorthwestWanderer Big Four Ice Caves Hiking & Camping 1
Mikjik86 Backpacking Four Pass Loop Backpacking 2
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
Nick Four Wheel Campers General Discussion 81
regehr Three of the Four American Fork Twin Peaks Hiking & Camping 10
Joey Backpacking Colorado's Maroon Bells, Snowmass Wilderness, Four Pass Loop in mid October Backpacking 21
kansas ruins in the four corners area Trip Planning 6
Shannon Three-four day loop trail ideas? Trip Planning 2
ram Part four- Bargain Basement Canyoneering 1
Unimog Four Pass Loop this August Trip Planning 8
B Beartooth Lakes Info Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
John Goering Boulder Lakes, Tobacco Root Mountains Off Road 0
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
westy Invite Also, Alpine Lakes Wilderness Meet Up (Members Only) 0
futurafree Beartooth Lakes and Passes Trip Planning 2
Bob USFS cabin green River Lakes, WY Trip Planning 0
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
marquiri Wind River Range - Green River Lakes Trailhead Trip Planning 9
Parma Sawtooth Loop: Redfish, Hell Roaring, Imogene, Edna, and Cramer Lakes Backpacking 13
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades NP : Dee Dee Lakes & the Mcallister Ledge Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades - Cutthroat/Granite/snowy lakes passes Backpacking 3
Mountain Wanderer Cedar Lakes Loop in Montana's Cabinet Mountains Wilderness Backpacking 4
SteveR Headwall Lakes, Alberta Hiking & Camping 6
andyjaggy Deep Creek Lakes and Windriver Peak Trip Planning 6
norwegianxplorer Rae Lakes Loop, SEKI, June 2020 Backpacking 6
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2019 July 17 - July 29 | Green River Lakes - Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
Curt Lost Twin Lakes, Cloud Peak Wilderness, Wyoming Backpacking 16
McKee80 TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19 Backpacking 14
Pianomover Overnighter to Caribou lakes in the Trinity Alps. Backpacking 0
balzaccom Dinkey Lakes Trip Reports 2
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
balzaccom Chain Lakes Backpacking 1
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Big Creek Lakes and Ranger Point Backpacking 2