Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021

You packed a lot into 4 days, @Laura V. with your side explorations to "hidden treasures". 4 days is barely enough to soak all of Salt Creek in, yet I've never allowed more time either. Overdue for a return. Thanks for posting.

Nice trip ....... but ........
Bear canisters? Wag bags? ........... Glad I did Salt Canyon many years ago !!

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the wag bag requirement on that one.

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the wag bag requirement on that one.
I would guess that wag bags are necessary because there are only the four reservable sites in the canyon which see heavy use, and it’s very overgrown, particularly around SC#4. Wag bags aren’t required in the lower canyon where it opens up.

As for the bear canister, it seemed completely unnecessary - at least in April. There wasn’t a single sign of bears anywhere to be seen. Maybe fall is a different story.

You're lucky to have experienced it when it was probably less peopled and there weren’t so many rules.

Reactions: Bob
You're lucky to have experienced it when it was probably less peopled and there weren’t so many rules.

I think having only 4 campsites in upper Salt Creek keeps it less-peopled. We only passed a couple people on the trail over 4 days last month, which was was a much better experience than when we were in upper Grand Gulch a few weeks earlier and must have seen over 100 people.

I think having only 4 campsites in upper Salt Creek keeps it less-peopled. We only passed a couple people on the trail over 4 days last month, which was was a much better experience than when we were in upper Grand Gulch a few weeks earlier and must have seen over 100 people.
Yeah, this is exactly why I find the rule perplexing. Of all the canyons to consider for wag bag requirements, I would think salt creek would be very low on the list.

I hiked Salt Creek back in late April. In the Salt Creek/ Horse zone no wag bag needed. In Salt Creek you need to carry a wag bag. But you only need to use it if you do your business around the 4 campsites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this is exactly why I find the rule perplexing. Of all the canyons to consider for wag bag requirements, I would think salt creek would be very low on the list.

I get it. Those campsites are used every night (from spring through fall, at least) by groups of people...it wouldn't take long for there to be a ring of catholes circling each campsite about 200 feet out.

I hiked Salt Creek back in late April. In the Salt Creek/ Horse zone no wag bag needed. In Salt Creek you need to carry a wag bag. But you only need to use it if you do your business around the 4 campsites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That makes more sense. I always try to take care of business far away from the campsites anyway for this reason

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
RyanP Four Days in the IPW (8/9 - 8/12) Backpacking 17
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
2eez4life Four lakes or Naturalist Trip Planning 5
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
napatony13 Four Day, Four State Petroglyph Tour Hiking & Camping 10
NorthwestWanderer Big Four Ice Caves Hiking & Camping 1
Mikjik86 Backpacking Four Pass Loop Backpacking 2
Nick Four Wheel Campers General Discussion 81
regehr Three of the Four American Fork Twin Peaks Hiking & Camping 10
Joey Backpacking Colorado's Maroon Bells, Snowmass Wilderness, Four Pass Loop in mid October Backpacking 21
danger02ward Grandaddy Basin, Four Lakes Basin, Cyclone Pass Backpacking 0
kansas ruins in the four corners area Trip Planning 6
Shannon Three-four day loop trail ideas? Trip Planning 2
natylka 23 miles of GrandDaddy Basin and Four Lakes Backpacking in July Backpacking 2
ram Part four- Bargain Basement Canyoneering 1
Unimog Four Pass Loop this August Trip Planning 8
Nick Four Lakes Basin - Uintas Backpacking 12
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
B 5 Days in the Sawtooths Backpacking 2
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 9 of 9, 7-29 & 30, /2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 8 of 9, 7/28/2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 7 of 9, July 26-27, 2022 Backpacking 13
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 6, 7/25/2022 Backpacking 17
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 5 of 9, 7/23-24, 2022 Backpacking 10
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 4 of 9, 7/22, 2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 3 of 9, 7/20-21, 2022 Backpacking 2
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 2, 7/19/2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 1, 7/15-18, 2022 Backpacking 13
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
regehr King's in two days Hiking & Camping 5
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
Bob Slickhorn Canyon System - 6 days Backpacking 22
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer 10 days Backpacking Femundsmarka National Park and Rogen Nature Reserve, Norway and Sweden Backpacking 8
napatony13 1100 Miles, 43 Days, Summits All 58 14ers in Colorado General Discussion 4
Titans Reflections in ponds: 4 days in The Adirondacks, Sept 1-4, 2021 Hiking & Camping 5
Janice 7 Breathtaking Days in the Winds Trip Reports 15
2eez4life 4 days 3 nights in the Uintas Trip Planning 9