Forgive my Non-backcountry Post... Santa Came Early to My House

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
My new Sony RX10 mIV arrived today. Shot in full auto or close to it...

Top of a hill about a mile from my house. 600mm zoom, hand held...
97cd10eef29d409d1f05147f70b98a1c.jpg

At the bird feeder...
a67f35125b894b1d4b4da3f9ca350edb.jpg

The indoor wildlife...
34d9af7d4d1bc140e4933b32e624640c.jpg

f6eec02b50abddd6a264104cf1ff525a.jpg

Up close...
406db43f7e63b45e3e7573d679b86d38.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

600mm? Wow. Very stable, too. Love the kitties.

Congrats!! You do realize that you're now going to have to quit your job so you can do more videos for BCP?

600mm? Wow. Very stable, too. Love the kitties.

Congrats!! You do realize that you're now going to have to quit your job so you can do more videos for BCP?

Well a guy can dream, can’t he? :)

@Cuberant How are you liking your new camera after having it for a bit?

So far I’m loving it. Being a total novice with the device I’ve spent most of my time in full auto mode with some dabbling with scene mode.

I’ve been slowly reading the help manual but it’s like 500 pages so it’s taking some time. I’m finally into the more useful parts now.

I’ve hit some frustration with auto focus trying to get it to focus where *I* want so it’s time for me to branch out more into manual mode land. It’s a slow process for me trying to learn about all the functionality... and there is a *ton* !

I take it with me almost everywhere, experimenting whenever I can. Having fun learning and pretty amazed at what it can do so far.

Really nice photos and it looks like it has good dynamic range. They make me feel like I'm right there (and wishing I had my coat).

Really nice photos and it looks like it has good dynamic range. They make me feel like I'm right there (and wishing I had my coat).

Thanks.

It started out at about 17 degrees at 7:30 at the bottom of the canyon. By the time I got up on top I had shed my fleece jacket and unbuttoned/unzipped my base layer and shirt. Amazing what a little sunshine and a good workout can do :)

Switch that beast to manual mode and within a week you'll wonder why you didn't do it years earlier.

Especially since he just got it a few weeks ago. :p

But yes, manual's the way to go. Or even start with Aperture priority.

Funny you would mention AP. I'm reading the manual here at dinner and I just now read that section ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not a purist I guess, because I almost always shoot AP. Will add that these new cameras have such good s/w that sometimes I get better shots in full auto mode than manual.

Especially since he just got it a few weeks ago. :p

Pretty much any camera the last decade has manual mode, short of a cell phone (and even then there's app for that!).

Pretty much any camera the last decade has manual mode, short of a cell phone (and even then there's app for that!).
I thought you were referring to this new camera, which he just got, so no way he would be wishing that. Yes, manual's been around longer than auto, for sure, even a pinhole camera would require manual mode.

I thought you were referring to this new camera, which he just got, so no way he would be wishing that. Yes, manual's been around longer than auto, for sure, even a pinhole camera would require manual mode.

During this super moon thing I found myself a long way from home with only my wife's 7 year old Rebel and not the first clue how to work it. Man Auto mode is just crippling.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
The Trout Whisperer Non kilt wearin’ version of th Gneiss Creek Expedition part 3… Backpacking 0
The Trout Whisperer Non kilt wearin’ version of th Gneiss Creek trip, part 2, Backpacking 4
The Trout Whisperer Non kilt wearin’ version of th Gneiss Creek Expedition part 1 Backpacking 4
G another lurker converting to a non-lurker Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
Ross Wet canyons compact cameras - recommended waterproof v non-waterproof Photography 8
Elli Morris Looking for non-petroleum gear options Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Writhdar Waterpocket Canyon (Capitol Reef) non-technical access to upper part? General Discussion 1
Jammer Boulder Creek NON Short-cut General Discussion 15
Vegan.Hiker Album Non-Backcountry Photos Photography 237
Kullaberg63 Horseshoe Canyon question - complete descent, non technical Trip Planning 1
DrNed Rope For Non Canyoneering Gear 18
powderglut Non Technical Neon Canyon Route Trip Planning 10
Jen non- freestanding tents! give me your advice!!! Gear 21
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
Outdoors24 Backcountry Tire Question General Discussion 12
P Season Backcountry Pass at Yellowston General Discussion 9
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
swmalone ***REDACTED*** Backcountry Byway with my Dad Off Road 7
Rockskipper Yellowstone Backcountry Permits Available Online In 2022 General Discussion 72
forest dweller Where to go, last minute, early August, with wife, for 2 weeks, with no backcountry permits? Trip Planning 25
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
forest dweller Grizzly Bear Kills Backcountry Guide Near Yellowstone, Investigators shot and killed the bear after it charged. General Discussion 13
TrektheWorld Backcountry Post Logo - Found! Everything Else 1
Dave Backcountry bookshelf General Discussion 53
Jackson Backcountry Music General Discussion 28
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest 2020 - Cancelled Meet Up (Members Only) 57
Yvonne Yellowstone 2020 backcountry hike questions Trip Planning 21
DrNed Backcountry.com Sues Those Using Namesake General Discussion 2
IntrepidXJ Nick, get a cease and desist letter yet? (Backcountry.com Discussion) General Discussion 32
F Backcountry bathrooms General Discussion 12
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
Yvonne Backcountry Fest and some Swell explorations Hiking & Camping 8
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
Nick 2019 Backcountry Fest Photos Everything Else 100
Nick Things to do in the Swell: Backcountry Fest Edition Meet Up (Members Only) 34
Dreamer Caribbean Backcountry Backpacking 2
McKee80 backcountry campsite reviews Resource Discussions 5
McKee80 backcountry campsite reviews Resource Discussions 0
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest! - April 5-7, 2019, San Rafael Swell Meet Up (Members Only) 274
McKee80 Backcountry campsite selection - opinions please General Discussion 13
T RMNP backcountry- freestanding necessary? Trip Planning 2
NorthwestWanderer June 15-17 Olympic Coast (Ozette Backcountry) WA Backpacking 3
SKLund Yellowstone Backcountry Campsite Waypoints Resource Discussions 1
Shirt357 RMNP Backcountry Sites Trip Planning 4
Nick 2018 Backcountry Post Shirts General Discussion 106
LarryBoy Alone in the Backcountry General Discussion 30
Wanderlust073 Backcountry Sale Gear 0
Jackson Backcountry Vehicle Miles Per Year General Discussion 8