FOOD!!

kwc

I didn’t look all that hard but I thought I’d start a thread about food we have been making during this COVID ... could be something you’ve baked like bread, or maybe something you’ve dehydrated for a backpacking trip, or whatever suits your fancy.

I’ll start ... strawberry-rhubarb pie (fresh rhubarb from my neighbor’s backyard)

7BEB8922-5B5D-444E-8A58-18C601E58007.jpeg

I don't think anyone wants to see the stay-at-home crap I've been eating. Last night I dumped all the tortilla chip fragments from the bottom of the bag onto a paper plate, microwaved it with some leftover parmesan cheese packets and ate it over the sink with my fingers. I didn't take a picture but here's a rough approximation of what it looked like:

:poop:

Sure, I love food.

We have tried to save some money by returning to pasta a few nights a week, just like back in college the week before payday.
My pickiest of kids has fallen in love with Lasagna Rosa, so it has become a weekly affair and is tons better than just spaghetti. Rosa meaning I make a homemade alfredo- about double what we need for one meal, the day before. Then the next day combine the leftover alfredo with any good canned red sauce (aka gravy) and use that as sauce in the lasagna with cheese filling.
For lunch it has been cold sesame noodles (not yet perfected), or pasta puttanesca.
I have to keep walking and hiking every day just to burn those carbs off, but it's cheap.

Recently though my wife got me a bag of frozen scallops for my birthday. Ceviche last week, poached while backpacking over the weekend (since the fire for the grill was a failure :whistle:), and tomorrow grilled over pasta. (only one of my kids will eat seafood, so I get them all to myself).

I couldn't really find a food photo thread...and I really want to share my camp dinner from this weekend! Haha sorry, not actually COVID home made food, although I have been dehydrating a lot of fruit for snack ems.

Lobster and Filet Mignon. Yup!

20200801_184020.jpg

20200801_190135.jpg

20200801_190526.jpg

@Miya ... Rock lobster!

1596551326382.png

That's some fine camp food. I am scraping the bottom of the barrel for this week's trip. Nothing so yummy or interesting for me. A bag of chili mac that has made 7-8 trips and never been eaten and a chicken alfredo... hopefully my buddy is not bringing mountain house beef stew to top it off. :rolleyes:

That looks pretty tasty @Miya. How long did you cook the lobster for in the cast iron?

I don't even know! I know it took a lot longer than I expected. The skillet was already HOT from the steaks. I think it probably took around the same time frame as when I bake them in the oven, maybe 12-15 minutes? They all ended up done at different times haha.

@Miya ... Rock lobster!

That's some fine camp food. I am scraping the bottom of the barrel for this week's trip. Nothing so yummy or interesting for me. A bag of chili mac that has made 7-8 trips and never been eaten and a chicken alfredo... hopefully my buddy is not bringing mountain house beef stew to top it off. :rolleyes:

Haha while this is a usual home dinner, it is my first attempt at camping. I probably won't do it again, but it was fun to give it a try! I prefer simplicity when I camp or backpack and leave the effort for when I am home. :) You NEED to eat the chili mac first haha, I have some bags of dehydrated food that keep going through the same cycle. Take them out for a visit and then bring them back home LOL

@kwc : Live Maine Lobster on sale again at Hannaford this week for $5.77/lb.
@Miya 's recipe looks so much better, we will have to try that now, instead of steaming them. Thanks Miya! :)

That looks yummy and beautiful in your OASIS! I have only ever had tails!