Flying and Backpacking?

Mike Jones

I am heading out west next weekend to the Grand Canyon for a week of backpacking (I think i have finally decided where I am going). My big question is I am flying out there with my gear to Las Vegas, then renting a car to get to the Grand Canyon, so how is flying with all your back packing gear.

I obviusly know I have to check my pack since it will have my knife etc in it. But how do they feel about having my MSI gas tanks in there that I use to cook?

Also I have a north face tent I attach to my backpack at the bottom with clips. I want to make sure I do not loose the tent either. Any suggestions/tips on this process would be great.

Thanks!

You can double check me, but I think used fuel cans are a no no. Even if you've emptied them. Last time I flew I washed them out real good and just packed them. No problems. (They were probably looking closer at my firearms case that I travel with than my my fuel bottles.)
As for making sure your tent makes it. When I flew out all my gear was packed in a regular suitcase along with my pack.
Hope this helps.

rei sells a bag that opens on the end, fits over your backpack for flying with, and then packs back into itself when you get to where you are going. see this. i've used one for the last six years and it has held up wonderfully and kept my bag in tact. i highly recommend one if you are going to fly often with your backpack and want to keep all of your straps, etc. Don't try putting washed fuel bottles in, just buy new ones when you get to vegas and leave them with someone when you leave. the possible (and likely) headache of having all of your stuff disassembled and perhaps misplaced outside of your bag as they search your stuff looking for the "bomb" is not worth it.

rei sells a bag that opens on the end, fits over your backpack for flying with, and then packs back into itself when you get to where you are going. see this. i've used one for the last six years and it has held up wonderfully and kept my bag in tact. i highly recommend one if you are going to fly often with your backpack and want to keep all of your straps, etc. Don't try putting washed fuel bottles in, just buy new ones when you get to vegas and leave them with someone when you leave. the possible (and likely) headache of having all of your stuff disassembled and perhaps misplaced outside of your bag as they search your stuff looking for the "bomb" is not worth it.

Awesome that's a great idea! I am in the military so maybe I can fit my pack into one of my sea bags and secure it in that.

Looks like I will need to find a camping supply store near the grand canyon now for gas. My knife should be fine in my pack though as long as I check it right?

did you already get your permits in GC? where ya headed?

and +1 to NOT taking gas canisters while flying. definitely not allowed.

There's are rei in las vegas so you can always stop there. Plus I'm sure there are plenty of other places around

Looks like I will need to find a camping supply store near the grand canyon now for gas. My knife should be fine in my pack though as long as I check it right?
yep, knife is fine if you check it.

side note - do not pack lighters, matches, etc. for your stove in checked baggage. pointy things are ok (you can even carry knives on again), flammable things not so much.

Definitely put your pack in another bag. My brother just checked his backpack once, and when it came around on the baggage carousel a couple of the straps were irretrievably stuck in the carousel and the airline had to cut the pack loose. On the plus side, he got a new pack courtesy of the airline. Last year, I used a duffel bag to hold my pack when I flew with no problems.

And, as the others have said, fuel bottles and fuel canisters are a big no-no. You can theoretically fly with an empty and clean fuel bottle, but it seems that I've heard more instances of that not working than I have heard of it working.

I've heard of people having problems with the stoves themselves...to have the best chance of getting it through, be sure that none of the parts has any fuel smell at all.

Put your pack in another bag, so there is no chance someone rips off one of the straps.
They usually aren't really careful with your stuff. 5 years of flying back and forth with camping stuff and I had it all.
And be prepared that the airline eventually loses your luggage and have your most important stuff in your carry on.
Since Delta lost last year all my backpacking stuff and I had to replace it for a trip the next day I always had at least my sleeping bag, tent and pad in my carry on luggage and some other important items that are expensive to replace.

Fuel canister are an absolutely no go, the same with bear spray etc. These things you always have to buy in a local store.

did you already get your permits in GC? where ya headed?

and +1 to NOT taking gas canisters while flying. definitely not allowed.

Haven't gotten my permits yet. Can I reserve those online or do I need to do that in person when I get there. We have pretty much just finished planning the route, so now we need to seal it up.

I pray I will be able to get a permit, we leave next Saturday.....

Haven't gotten my permits yet. Can I reserve those online or do I need to do that in person when I get there. We have pretty much just finished planning the route, so now we need to seal it up.

I pray I will be able to get a permit, we leave next Saturday.....
you'll need a lot of prayers... depending on the route, a permit can be quite difficult. what route are you doing?