Floating the San Rafael

steve

I think it'd be fun to put in at fuller bottom and float to the SR bridge. I don't understand how to read river flow charts very well, and I'm curious when the best time of year to float it would be? As far as I understand, it's not always deep enough, and when it is, you only have a week or so window to float it. Anyone have any ideas when this is?

Its a classic desert float! Minimum of 200cfs, right now its at 8.
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1872/

I've run it around 250cfs. The more water the better, you could get down it at 150cfs but you would be dragging your boat in places.
Its all about the runoff and how much water they take out for irrigation upstream. I'd say mid-late May this year if it goes. Check the Snotel for snowpack conditions.
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Utah/utah.html

SanRafael+-+ARiver.jpg

Perfect, that's just what I'm looking for. Thanks!

BTW, which boat is that you've got in your picture?

Last edited:
that's a friends NRS ducky, not sure which one. Maverick? I paddled my whitewater kayak, we also had 2 canoes on the trip.

That sounds awesome. Definitely the way to see that canyon. If you end up trying for this this spring, let me know, I might try to tag along and could help with the shuttle. :)

@BJett - did you just pack all your drinking water for that or did you filter that nasty stuff?

Brought our own water. Since its pretty much a flat water trip you can bring a big inflatable or canoe with plenty of room for water...beer...more beer...etc.

Always be on the lookout for strainers. It gets narrow in places, you never know what washes down. We had to scoot around a few trees if I recall.

That sounds awesome. Definitely the way to see that canyon. If you end up trying for this this spring, let me know, I might try to tag along and could help with the shuttle. :)

@BJett - did you just pack all your drinking water for that or did you filter that nasty stuff?

I'm up for it with the canoe.

Desert boating...Its that time of year. I have some friends in Colorado hoping to get on the Chute of Muddy Creek and the San Rafael this year. I cant recall which Snotel site to look at. Any of you know how the snowpack is for that watershed, and the chances of them having boatable flows in the next 2-3 weeks? The Muddy is starting to spike up to 120 cfs in the afternoon so it looks like the run-off is trickling down. If you can catch the Chute with 250 minimum its a classic. San Rafael needs a lot more water than its current flow...

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1861/
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1872/

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Outdoors24 Floating Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 7
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
Jammer Floating the Yampa through Dinosaur On The Water 5
regehr floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft? Trip Planning 3
DrNed Floating The North Platte June 2017 On The Water 5
Nick Floating Glen Canyon On The Water 3
DrNed Floating Smith River in Montana Trip Planning 55
DrNed Floating Through Dinosaur National Monument Trip Planning 9
Nick Floating lower Cataract into Glen Canyon Trip Planning 2
steve Invite Floating the Provo river (Provo Canyon) this Tuesday Meet Up (Members Only) 12
Nick Floating Hite to Lake Powell Trip Planning 2
steve Invite Urban Adventure - floating the Jordan River this Sat, 3.21.15 Meet Up (Members Only) 7
steve Floating the Provo River On The Water 0
DrNed Favorite Places To Explore While Floating Labyrinth Trip Planning 38
gnwatts Floating through Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 22
mattvogt7 Floating into the Maze Backpacking 10
AustinCronnelly Floating the Smith River, Montana On The Water 13
Mike K Floating the Dirty Devil Trip Planning 12
Nick Time to start floating! Gear 6
Nick Floating the South Fork Snake River On The Water 19
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
Janice San Juan Mtns - late June too early? Trip Planning 4
westy San Juan mountains, Colorado Hiking & Camping 8
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
D San Rafael Swell Recommendations Trip Planning 9
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
J Moving down to Southern San Rafael Reef Wilderness for two more loop hikes April 13-14 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Bunch O' N. San Rafael Swell summit scrambles April 10-12, 2021 (now w/rock art) Hiking & Camping 3
J San Rafael Reef Wilderness. Rambling on the Reef March 30-31, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
S Conejos - South San Juan Wilderness Backpacking 2
J Grenadier Range, San Juan Mtns. Weminuche Wilderness, CO June 27-30, 2007 Retro Backpacking 9
Stephanie B Searchin' for Ruins and Rock Art in San Juan County, UT Hiking & Camping 6
fossana San Rafael Swell MTB and salvaged packraft weekend Everything Else 13
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
J San Rafael Swell Wilderness Designations General Discussion 13
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest! - April 5-7, 2019, San Rafael Swell Meet Up (Members Only) 274
Nick The San Juan, May 2018 On The Water 19
mikejones3 Day Trip up San Jacinto Hiking & Camping 0
IntrepidXJ San Juan National Forest Closure General Discussion 32
Jackson Jurassic National Monument and San Rafael Swell Conservation Area General Discussion 9
TrektheWorld The San Rafael Sure is.....Swell Hiking & Camping 1
Jackson Return to the San Rafael River Gorge Backpacking 17
fiber Invite Late March 3-4 day San Rafael Swell Backpacking Loop Meet Up (Members Only) 1
RedRockRambler Greetings from a new noob in San Diego Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Devin Ashby Nate’s Canyon/ Spring Canyon San Rafael Swell Trip Planning 2
Udink Uncompahgre Peak and the San Juans Hiking & Camping 12
Dustin Gent San Juan Mountain backpacking/road questions General Discussion 3
George_Washington_Hayduke Packrafting and Bikepacking from the San Rafael River to Muddy Creek On The Water 0