Flint trail

Carlos

Hi,

Can someone please give me an idea of the normal road conditions of the Flint trail, but coming south from the Hite bridge crossing. I am interested (next year) in driving it for about 20-30 miles north (looking for barrier canyon pictograph in that area). I have driven the dirt road that takes you to Horseshoe Canyon, but I am not sure it is the same .............. obviously, I am assuming no weather or rain deterioration. I will drive UT95 from Hanksvillle and take a left on it (it is labelled NP633 in the topo maps) before the bridge.

Thanks !

The flint trail is very different from the normal route to the Great Gallery in Horseshoe canyon, which is mostly fine for passenger cars. You want high clearance 4wd and you want to have checked in with the nice folks at Hans Flat ahead of time. Shorter wheelbase is better, low range would be a nice option. (I don't recall actually using low range.)

(I should clarify that I'm talking about the Flint Trail switchbacks here. The road in from Hite is totally fine for passenger cars for some miles, in normal conditions. So maybe clarify here if you plan to tackle the switchbacks.)

Last edited:
Yeah, the Flint Trail is the switchbacks that break through the Orange Cliffs near Hans Flat. The road coming in from Hite to Waterhole Flat isn't the Flint Trail. It's usually a nice, smooth, graded road that is a piece of cake in dry conditions.

Yeah, the Flint Trail is the switchbacks that break through the Orange Cliffs near Hans Flat. The road coming in from Hite to Waterhole Flat isn't the Flint Trail. It's usually a nice, smooth, graded road that is a piece of cake in dry conditions.
I initially labelled NP633 on another forum and was corrected and told it was the Flint trail, but what I was looking to drive doesnt get even close to the Maze (it is well southwest of it), it is technically still in the Glen Canyon Rec Area. I see in the topo map and area labelled Waterhole Flat area and I wont even get close to it.

The section you're talking about (from UT-95 to Waterhole Flat) is easy 2WD high-clearance (truck/SUV, not Subaru) in normal conditions. I once camped 5 miles up that road with some friends who drove full-sized trucks and 20+ foot camp trailers that far. Last year I drove my Grand Cherokee to the Cove when it was muddy and it was still mostly easy 2WD, with 4WD needed for one section near Andy Miller Flats.

The section you're talking about (from UT-95 to Waterhole Flat) is easy 2WD high-clearance (truck/SUV, not Subaru) in normal conditions. I once camped 5 miles up that road with some friends who drove full-sized trucks and 20+ foot camp trailers that far. Last year I drove my Grand Cherokee to the Cove when it was muddy and it was still mostly easy 2WD, with 4WD needed for one section near Andy Miller Flats.
thanks !!!

So just to clarify...
If I want to see the Great Gallery in Horseshoe Canyon I can drive in fairly easily from Hite vs via the Flint Trail switch backs which are more difficult. And of course with the hike of course at the end being what the hike is, i.e. the drop over the edge from the viewpoint?
Yes I have low range 4x4.

So just to clarify...
If I want to see the Great Gallery in Horseshoe Canyon I can drive in fairly easily from Hite vs via the Flint Trail switch backs which are more difficult. And of course with the hike of course at the end being what the hike is, i.e. the drop over the edge from the viewpoint?
Yes I have low range 4x4.

@Reef&Ruins - With respect to seeing the “Great Gallery” in Horseshoe canyon and how to drive there:

Route 1) it’s easy to access off rt24 on a dirt road kind of halfway between Hanksville and I-70. Super easy drive in dry condition, the final few miles before the TH has some loose sand. You do NOT need 4 low, but you need a map, Gaia GPS app on your phone, or like. It’s a big, busy TH with 2 pit toilets and dispersed camping right there or better, close by. The hike drops down into the canyon, some miles out in super loose sand, minimum 8 miles return trip with 1400 ft elevation gain. There’s a lot of cool panels on the hike.

Route 2) Alternatively, if you also want to see some POI in The San Rafael Desert, you could head southbound out of Green River on a dirt road. I can PM you more about this.

Route 3) The Spur route.... I guess you could access the Great gallery by driving from rt24 out to Hans Flat Station, then make an enormous big loop around northbound. But you would only do that, if you had other points of interest around the Spur. Route 3) is kind of like driving from Denver to Moab via Tucson.

I can PM you some GPX tracks/routes of 1) and 2), if you are interested.

(and forget about the Flint trail switchbacks - if your point of interest is the Great Gallery.)

Last edited:
Thank you. I'd appreciate a PM on the info you've mentioned.
And I love the analogy about driving via Tucson.... to get to Moab from Denver.

Well I'm dumb....REALLY REALLY REALLY DUMB. I've actually been and seen Horseshoe Canyon. I was thinking of the Harvest Panel and calling it the wrong name... that is what I was looking for info about.
This ought to tell you how the last few days has gone for me as our school term is wrapping up.

This is what I was asking about....

Let me go crawl in a hole and hide. :)

Last edited: