flash flooding summer 2022

We had a brief storm ~ a month ago with 0.5" hail stones. So far no major precip at my place at least during the last few t-storm cycles. The trails in Red Cliffs are trashed in spots from the summer flash floods. I'm working with the local BLM to hopefully organize a local trail maintenance event.

SE UT needs the rain.
If a trail-maintenance event is scheduled, is there a website where it will be announced? As a local, I should probably help out with these when possible.

Just getting up to speed in anticipation of our trip south next week:
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.32.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.35.07 AM.png

Where did you get the Cedar Mesa road info?
Thanks
https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2022-10/Report_Utah_CedarMesaCurrentConditions.pdf
I found it by googling "Cedar Mesa road conditions". I'm wondering if that link may only be to the October 3 report specifically, and not to any future updates.
Edit to add:
On this webpage below, a link to conditions reports can be found in the "Quick Links" section.
https://www.blm.gov/programs/recrea...eries-and-permit-systems/utah/cedar-mesa/faqs

Last edited:
Just getting up to speed in anticipation of our trip south next week:
View attachment 114803

View attachment 114804

@SteveR : Since the Friday-Sunday deluge of torrential rain and hail, the area had several days of sunny and dry weather. Headed to CM tomorrow morning, will report back about CM, if we get cell service. Hopefully we won’t be displayed in one of Matt’s towing videos, ha…. Would expect some drying has happened the last few days. Also -we expect several sunny and dry days going forward. If not, we will regret leaving The Needles today.

This was rt211 into The Needles Monday 10/3 morning, it was temporarily closed Sunday evening to clear mud (several people got stuck Sunday evening). It’s clear and dry now, we just drove out.
BE7A3699-9481-4BF5-B33E-F71B555A3261.jpeg

This was Monticello Sunday evening 10/2 with rain and hail. @LarryBoy also reported very heavy rain, think Friday.
9639A457-0833-4233-94A4-20BF87709436.jpeg

We saw Salt Creek running with red water/mud Monday morning and the NP again closed the road to Horse Canyon, etc because there was a lot of water in the canyons.

Just came out of Kane Gulch Ranger station.
Flash flood in many canyons a few days ago, but Everything has mostly dried up on CM.

Only problem is Cigarette spring rd, sandy exposed section.
Blm will try to drive Comb wash from north to south today. Also some issues along Butler wash.

The Cigarette Spring Road has had trouble since before Labor Day (at the very least).

Just came out of Kane Gulch Ranger station.
Flash flood in many canyons a few days ago, but Everything has mostly dried up on CM.

Only problem is Cigarette spring rd, sandy exposed section.
Blm will try to drive Comb wash from north to south today. Also some issues along Butler wash.
Thanks for the updates! Butler and Cigarette Springs are both part of our potential to-do list. We do have a HWC FWD but are a bit encumbered by the extra weight of a Four Wheel pop-up camper.

A remarkable tale from the Aug 20th flood that hit Moab, that I just read about this week:

Having camped there many times over the years, it's been a home-from-home for me, whenever I visit the South-West. I really hope that the terrific owners, Brad and Ariel, can get the campground up and running again at some point.

A GoFundMe page has been created to help out with the recovery:

If a trail-maintenance event is scheduled, is there a website where it will be announced? As a local, I should probably help out with these when possible.
If you don't mind, please DM your email, and I'll get you the details when I have them. thanks

Sad news about Up The Creek. In the early days of our fall Utah adventures, we based out of that campground on several occasions while hiking and biking in the Moab area. It was a great oasis! Since then we have stopped in a few times for showers while passing though, most recently in 2019.