First Snowshoe Experience - Bi-centennial trail, North Fork Park

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
I was itching to get outdoors and with the recent snow fall we have received here in Utah it was getting a bit much walking. I decided to rent snowshoes and give it a try. I headed out to North Fork Park which is located in the Ogden Valley at the base of Ben Lomond. I headed toward the Bi-centennial Trail which is a mountain biking trail during the summer. The round trip was just over five miles.

I'm hooked!

20161228_103910.jpg

20161228_110058.jpg

20161228_114810.jpg 20161228_120237.jpg 20161228_120644.jpg

A short video of the event

Last edited:
My wife and I went out there yesterday. We went all the way to the overlook. The last 3/4 of a mile was lovely unbroken trail. It is odd how much I can despise and love breaking new trail while snowshoeing. Glad you enjoyed your first snowshoeing trip. We have been doing it for a few years and really enjoy it. It is amazing how much of a different experience you have in a location when you are out there in snow. We hope to get out there and do the mule's ear trail before too long.

My wife and I went out there yesterday. We went all the way to the overlook. The last 3/4 of a mile was lovely unbroken trail. It is odd how much I can despise and love breaking new trail while snowshoeing. Glad you enjoyed your first snowshoeing trip. We have been doing it for a few years and really enjoy it. It is amazing how much of a different experience you have in a location when you are out there in snow. We hope to get out there and do the mule's ear trail before too long.
What overlook are you referring to?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I like your choice of trekking poles. I have a pair as well and they haven't failed me yet!

Based on the Nordic Park trail map the Mule's Ear trail is an out and back but when I'm looking at topo maps it looks like it is a loop. I am wondering if when their is no snow it is a loop but for some reason the park decided to just have the out and back part. I was thinking of giving the loop a shot, but I would have to familiarize myself better with the area to make sure that there aren't any issues with avalanches.

Wow I totally missed seeing that. I was going off of a trail description from snowshoeutah.com

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Apparently a lot of people miss the overlook on the map. The last three years we have been the first to break the trail about the last mile or so, and we usually don't make it out there until early January. It is a fun area with a pretty good climb the last .5 - .75 miles. I took a sled this time and just messed around on the slopes before we headed back.

Based on the Nordic Park trail map the Mule's Ear trail is an out and back but when I'm looking at topo maps it looks like it is a loop. I am wondering if when their is no snow it is a loop but for some reason the park decided to just have the out and back part. I was thinking of giving the loop a shot, but I would have to familiarize myself better with the area to make sure that there aren't any issues with avalanches.

Apparently a lot of people miss the overlook on the map. The last three years we have been the first to break the trail about the last mile or so, and we usually don't make it out there until early January. It is a fun area with a pretty good climb the last .5 - .75 miles. I took a sled this time and just messed around on the slopes before we headed back.

I'll definitely give that a try next time I go out there.

Hiked up the Mules ear trail today from north Fork Park to the Mules ear overlook. Beautiful hike took turns breaking trail. AllTrails shows the trail well on their topo. Did the mule ear mule shoe loop in the summer. Loop would be difficult in the snow due to the terrain. From the overlook it crosses and runs across a steep ridge. We followed the out and back trail with the exception of a few shortcuts on the way down. It was 4.5 mile round trip with a 1000ft elevation gain. IMG_9852.JPGIMG_9853.JPG
IMG_9859.JPG

Hiked up the Mules ear trail today from north Fork Park to the Mules ear overlook. Beautiful hike took turns breaking trail. AllTrails shows the trail well on their topo. Did the mule ear mule shoe loop in the summer. Loop would be difficult in the snow due to the terrain. From the overlook it crosses and runs across a steep ridge. We followed the out and back trail with the exception of a few shortcuts on the way down. It was 4.5 mile round trip with a 1000ft elevation gain. View attachment 51609View attachment 51610
View attachment 51611

How much snow did they get over there from the last storm? If I'm not layed up from shoveling all of this snow we were thinking of heading over there again this weekend.

How much snow did they get over there from the last storm? If I'm not layed up from shoveling all of this snow we were thinking of heading over there again this weekend.
That's a good question. Didn't ever catch the totals but let's say unhelpfuly a fair amount. When we arrived Thursday morning they hadn't groomed the road yet. The whole way in we had to take turns breaking trail which was nice and tiresome due to all the new powder. However, on the way out we got to first follow our own tracks on the mule shoe trail then on the main road they had it nicely groomed for us.

I realize we all have our favorite tools for traveling the winter backcountry. Yak traks, snowshoes, AT gear, touring skis, split boards.. etc. I also know that what goes up, must also come down. And ....that..... sometimes ....is the best reward of the hike. Especially on something that you can slide downhill on the return. I commend you guys for snowshoeing up to these great places but...I for one really love the descent on a pair of backcountry touring skis. Making fresh tracks on the way back is often the highlight. Anyway.....it's all good!