Final Uinta Highline questions

Goat

Getting close to our UHT hike. Some random last minute questions for those who have gone before...

1. Bug repellent? Thinking about leaving it at home with the rationale that last week in August shouldn't be buggy enough to justify it.
2. Will it rain? Just kidding. :)
3. Best route to Leidy trailhead: I assume the Google Maps route between Hayden & Leidy trailheads is the best one to follow? It goes US191 north to I-80 then 414/44 to 191 to the Leidy trailhead. Says 4 hrs & change.
4. Any recommendations for pre-hike (Hayden pass area) or post-hike (Leidy peak/Vernal area) meals? We'll likely be around Hayden around lunch time, Vernal around dinner time.
5. We plan to truck camp the night before at Leidy trailhead (I assume there's no problem with that). But if the weather allows & we're up for it, we could start late in the day and get a few miles head start. Any recommendations for campsites w/ water 3 or 4 or 5 miles in from Leidy?
6. Think it'll rain? :) I know the answer...only kidding
7. I'll have my parks pass for parking a vehicle at Hayden. I've heard I don't need one at Leidy...right?

Goat

As it happens, we'll be in around there during that time as well.

I can't offer much in the way of advice though, it'll be my first time in the area.

@shredhiker, are you doing Leidy to Hayden? Maybe we'll run into you. Our first time in the Uintas too, looking forward to this.

Getting close to our UHT hike. Some random last minute questions for those who have gone before...

5. We plan to truck camp the night before at Leidy trailhead (I assume there's no problem with that).
7. I'll have my parks pass for parking a vehicle at Hayden. I've heard I don't need one at Leidy...right?

I can't help with all your questions, but I just spent a night and hiked Leidy Peak recently, so I can answer these.

5. There was a nice campsite just before reaching the Leidy TH. Plus, there were many other campsites just down the road.
7. No passes needed to park at Leidy.

1. Bug repellent? Thinking about leaving it at home with the rationale that last week in August shouldn't be buggy enough to justify it.
2. Will it rain? Just kidding. :)
3. Best route to Leidy trailhead: I assume the Google Maps route between Hayden & Leidy trailheads is the best one to follow? It goes US191 north to I-80 then 414/44 to 191 to the Leidy trailhead. Says 4 hrs & change.
4. Any recommendations for pre-hike (Hayden pass area) or post-hike (Leidy peak/Vernal area) meals? We'll likely be around Hayden around lunch time, Vernal around dinner time.
5. We plan to truck camp the night before at Leidy trailhead (I assume there's no problem with that). But if the weather allows & we're up for it, we could start late in the day and get a few miles head start. Any recommendations for campsites w/ water 3 or 4 or 5 miles in from Leidy?
6. Think it'll rain? :) I know the answer...only kidding

Goat

1. Last couple times I was up in the Uintas this summer, the bugs have not been too bad. That said, we just got a bunch of rain, with more on the way this week. I'm pretty far to the far end of the ultralight bell curve, and even I wouldn't risk the threat of bugs just to save 1.5 oz.
2. Cloudy with a chance of meatballs :)
3. The difference between the northern route and the southern route is like 4 minutes, so essentially irrelevant. I generally like the southern route; it puts you on a graded dirt road (the Soapstone road) for a minute, which is a nice change of pace and allows you to see part of the Uintas that the UHT doesn't visit. Plus you get the town of Vernal right before you get off pavement, just in case you have any last minute oopsies.
4. If you go thru Kamas afterward, the Hi-Mountain is a good place to get a burger and shake. The shakes in particular are marvelous.
5. Plenty of camping at, and prior to the trailhead. There's generally a group or two already camped at the trailhead itself, particularly in the late summer and early fall once the various bow/youth bow deer seasons begin.
7. Correct.

Have fun!

Back