Fall trip to Southern Utah

baltocharlie

Hi all: I am now re-organizing my canceled spring trip. I am wondering the best time to hit southern Utah in the fall. Late September? October? My itinerary will be similar to my previous one. Canyonlands, Cedar Mesa, Arches. Hope to backpack, slot canyons, Indian ruins and art. Possibly canoeing/kayaking as well.

Thanks

I think mid-Sept through mid-Oct is probably the sweet spot. Late Oct can be good too, especially in Zion but the nights are starting to get pretty long at that point so earlier is better, in my opinion.

I was actually thinking last week Sept to first week Oct. However a family wedding on the wknd of Oct 5 messes with that idea.

Thanks guys. I'm headed your way.

I would agree with all of the above. I would add that the areas you want to visit vary quite a bit in elevation. I have enjoyed many trips to the Grand Gulch area in November, and a Green River canoe trip in late October into early November. The later you go the more solitude you get.

Hi all: I am now re-organizing my canceled spring trip. I am wondering the best time to hit southern Utah in the fall. Late September? October? My itinerary will be similar to my previous one. Canyonlands, Cedar Mesa, Arches. Hope to backpack, slot canyons, Indian ruins and art. Possibly canoeing/kayaking as well.

Thanks

I apologize for hijacking baltocharlie's post but figured this was a good place to start.

I am planning a 3 night solo Zion traverse in late september. thinking I would start at Wildcat instead of Lees pass to be able to have some time to breifly hike up the narrows, hidden canyon, etc.

I am hoping to leave my rental car at the east rim.

I will need a shuttle to pick me up at the east rim and drop me off at Wildcat.

Any thoughts/ recoomendations on a shuttle service that I should contact? Thanks!!

Thanks Nick! I figured I would try them first. Any advice you could provide being my first time to Zion?

Figuring 10 mile days won't be too much? Water issues especially along east rim? Anything would be helpful.

Dates are set:
10/11 to 10/22
Last 4 days are paddling Canyonlands. The rest to be determined. I will probably do a lot of what I planned for the spring. Cedar Mesa ruins off of road canyon, hopefully backpack Canyonlands Needles, North wash slots??(leprechaun), Mnt biking Moab. Probably can't fit it all in but am going to try. If anyone is interested in any of the above let me know as plan. I couldn't connect with NPS server for backpack reservations so dates are still open.
Really looking forward to this trip.

There is one my favorite camp spots at the end of the road to Road Canyon. It has a pretty good good spring there. I have car camped there, took off north towards Road Canyon, once we hit the edge of Road Canyon we followed the rim up canyon to check out the Citadel, then continued further up canyon to access the trail down into Road, saw 7 Kivas etc, went down canyon and went up Lime, out Lime and cross country back to the road we came in on. A great trip.
You can also car camp there and see the Citadel and 7 kivas in one day, or just spend time in Road Canyon on a short backpack. Moonhouse is not far away either.

There is one my favorite camp spots at the end of the road to Road Canyon. It has a pretty good good spring there. I have car camped there, took off north towards Road Canyon, once we hit the edge of Road Canyon we followed the rim up canyon to check out the Citadel, then continued further up canyon to access the trail down into Road, saw 7 Kivas etc, went down canyon and went up Lime, out Lime and cross country back to the road we came in on. A great trip.
You can also car camp there and see the Citadel and 7 kivas in one day, or just spend time in Road Canyon on a short backpack. Moonhouse is not far away either.

Sounds good. I have a decent map of the road and ruins. I plan to see them, will check out the campsite as well. Thanks Greg

Due to the the Gov. shutdown I am coming up with plan B.
Eliminating Canyonlands and Arches.
Thinking about Escalante; Zebra/Tunnel Slots short trip and Coyote Gulch BP trip. I have read a slew of BCP trip reports from Coyote. Thinking down through Crack up out Hamblin. Day trip or BP?? Still working the numbers.
Or perhaps more of Cedar Mesa(means less driving) BP Grand Gulch, Mule, Butler, Valley of the Gods.
I still hope to start around N. Wash then some of the above, finishing in the BCP canyonland paddle meet-up.

Again if any one is interested drop me a message.

Well I made it back from an outstanding trip. Lots of Cedar Mesa hiking, ruin and art searching, a few slots(Leprechaun very skinny), Canyonlands and Arches (after they opened). But I gotta say the highlight of the trip was the Labyrinth Canyon with the BCP gang of Nick , Nate and Greg. It was incredible scenery and excellent company. Hopefully I will post a trip report. First I have to fix my camera to download images(sand in the lens). Also I came home to cold home, the boiler died:( I have spent numerous in repair mode since returning. It is limping currently but unfortunately it needs replacing before the 'real' cold sets in. $$$
I want to thank you all for all of the beta you supplied. There are too many to thank individually but I was well organized and was able to see a lot regardless of the Gov shutdown, able to re-supply with gas, beer and food w/out problem. Permits were impossible to get so I filled out self-permits where I could.
The only negative, now I have more to visit in the future. I only saw the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks, Charlie