Album Fall Colors 2020

SteveR

Too soon? Well- tell that to the alpine larch trees in the Alberta Rockies! We were surprised to find these golden beauties nearly at their full glory on September 18, about a week ahead of the usual peak in color. Due to the very warm and dry last 6 weeks of summer, I would guess. The only downside was a blanket of smoke, originating mainly from the fires in California and Oregon, obscuring the views but also adding to the golden glow.
_1220066-copy-2.jpg

_1220076-copy-2.jpg_1220078-copy-2.jpg_1220099-copy-2.jpg_1220114-copy-2.jpgUntitled_Panorama1-copy-2.jpg
More pix and narrative:

@kwc - wow, it changed a lot in just a week! We saw just a dash of color last week. It seems early this year.

It depends upon where you are in the Adirondacks ... color is close to 50% in the central Adirondacks, like Indian Lake and Blue Mountain Lake. East of the high peaks it’s not changed all that much except in the marshy areas where the trees are more stressed anyways. Further north, up neat Plattsburgh, not much color at all. But the apple crop is ripe and ready and there are tons of apples on the trees up that way.

Nice, kwc! Those red colours bring back memories of the first 12 years of my life, in Montreal. We don't see much of that in Alberta, mostly yellows.

I rode the Lake Minnewanka trail on the first day of autumn. The biking and colors on "Banff's best singletrack" did not disappoint. The alpine larch get most of the attention in fall, but the scattered stands of aspen in a mostly coniferous setting were glorious:
P1110841-copy-2.jpgP1110843-copy-2.jpgP1110848-copy-2.jpgP1110868-copy-2.jpgP1110869-copy-2.jpgP1110904-copy-2.jpg

More Adirondack colors ... northern Adirondacks this time.

ED7A200A-AAEE-40DC-99D1-0B7B93CEC612.jpeg
the restored foot bridge in Wanakena. The original bridge was destroyed by river ice in 2014. Wanakena was once a booming small city that was built on the logging industry. In its heyday you could take the New York Central train from Grand Central Station all the way to the hotels in Wanakena. Today it’s hard to imagine this. All that remains are a variety of homes, mostly seasonal, and this bridge. SUNY ESF has their Ranger School there. And the Cranberry Lake 50 starts and ends here (50 mile loop trail through some pretty wild country).

25D66B3C-4AD1-4685-89EF-8280CC2D1B1F.jpeg
a view from the bridge
0325AD7B-A9BB-465E-B2A5-D526CE3B652A.jpeg
looking East from Tupper Lake ... the water beyond the foreground marshy area is the Raquette River.
B120FEBE-EB6C-4F45-A6C5-2724BDB29F85.jpeg
1C2070C4-4B2C-40B5-9C8E-56F1B410AABE.jpeg
6CF989B5-A3B9-4FAB-863A-4615F6E97843.jpeg
0CD982D5-E74E-4696-B102-BCFEBBC85660.jpeg
this was taken near the canoe launch for Round Lake in the Whitney Wilderness.
8650D8E9-FB8E-4047-ABE8-7970A2EA8F12.jpeg
37FB5B41-8636-4134-93AD-9D1CE52668BC.jpeg
you paddle up this channel towards Round Lake. This was once all private land owned by the Whitney family. William Whitney sold a huge chunk of land to New York State several years ago and most of it is designated wilderness.

A few photos from The Adirondacks yesterday. It was warm and very muggy during our 10 mile hike in the wilderness. Once Rick is done, I will add his photos. Just iPhone shots here:

IMG_1855.jpg

Enough wind to mess with any reflections
IMG_1875.jpg

The more enjoyable part of the day was at the lake in the wind! This is becoming an evening tradition.
IMG_1955.jpg

And dinner time, but no @scatman & @TractorDoc - we didn't have any Circus Peanut to eat!
IMG_1969.jpg

Sunset yesterday. Forever thankful to @kwc , we just finished our 4'th trip up there.
IMG_1986.jpg

And a non wilderness photo, as the colors are just stunning this year! This was taken Saturday, just before the warm muggy air mass moved in.
IMG_1790.jpg

Larch colors peaked early in the Canadian rockies, with snow last weekend up high and strong winds through the early part of this week leaving many trees stripped and the trail a carpet of golden needles, on our traverse of Pocaterra Ridge on Wednesday. No crowds though, thanks to a start in the clouds, with clearing after lunch.
_1230073-copy-2.jpg
Trees in sheltered spots were still hanging on to their needles, but the brilliant gold color has faded already.
_1230074-copy-2.jpg
_1230104-copy-2.jpg
Afternoon clearing on the ridgewalk.
_1230110-copy-2.jpg
A bit of color remaining, on a section where most trees were bare.
_1230112-copy-2.jpg_1230126-copy-2.jpg
Above- a look back at the ridge walk.
_1230141-copy-2.jpg
A bonus end to our day was stopping along the drive home at a quiet picnic area, to BBQ dinner and walk around the pond.
The aspens are full-on right now in the Kananaskis valley!
_1230158-copy-2.jpg_1230160-copy-2.jpg

Larch colors peaked early in the Canadian rockies, with snow last weekend up high and strong winds through the early part of this week leaving many trees stripped and the trail a carpet of golden needles, on our traverse of Pocaterra Ridge on Wednesday. No crowds though, thanks to a start in the clouds, with clearing after lunch.
View attachment 92512
Trees in sheltered spots were still hanging on to their needles, but the brilliant gold color has faded already.
View attachment 92513
View attachment 92514
Afternoon clearing on the ridgewalk.
View attachment 92515
A bit of color remaining, on a section where most trees were bare.
View attachment 92516View attachment 92517
Above- a look back at the ridge walk.
View attachment 92518
A bonus end to our day was stopping along the drive home at a quiet picnic area, to BBQ dinner and walk around the pond.
The aspens are full-on right now in the Kananaskis valley!
View attachment 92519View attachment 92521

I've got a trip planned for NW Montana in two weeks in hopes to see some larches. Looks like I may be well past peak for them by the time I get up there! Dang dry weather.

I've got a trip planned for NW Montana in two weeks in hopes to see some larches. Looks like I may be well past peak for them by the time I get up there! Dang dry weather.
Don't despair! You mention NW Montana, so I'm guessing that you could well be referring to the Western Larch, found in valley bottoms and lower elevations in the Kootenays in BC, and adjacent in NW Montana. Typically that species changes color a couple of weeks later than the Alpine Larch depicted in my photos. Alpine Larch are also found in Glacier National Park in Montana, and even when not peaking a bit early, are usually past prime by the first week in October.

Colors in the southern Adirondacks today ...

View attachment 92525
View attachment 92526
View attachment 92527
View attachment 92528View attachment 92529
View attachment 92530

These were all within 30 minutes from our house. However most trees in our neighborhood are still pretty green!

@kwc - Beautiful colors!
We have many big Maples that peaked last weekend with vivid red and orange colors and now the trees already dropped all the leaves. Last year the same Maple trees peaked Oct 16, but they never got that vivid red and deep orange colors. This year we also have many Maples along the driveway that are still all green, just like you mention!
So happy to finally get a ton of rain this week!

Don't despair! You mention NW Montana, so I'm guessing that you could well be referring to the Western Larch, found in valley bottoms and lower elevations in the Kootenays in BC, and adjacent in NW Montana. Typically that species changes color a couple of weeks later than the Alpine Larch depicted in my photos. Alpine Larch are also found in Glacier National Park in Montana, and even when not peaking a bit early, are usually past prime by the first week in October.
Great insight! I knew of the two different types, but I didn't realize the timing was much different. I'll stay optimistic. Thanks!