Essential Clothing/Gear

Mast3rShake

I have been recently looking at a lot of gear online and stopped into the local REI to try some items on to get an idea of sizes but I pose this question to you all which will hopefully lead me in the right direction.

Outside of the pack, tent, bag, mat and shoes what are the essential articles of clothing/gear that I would need to do some day hikes or overnights in the Northeast (PA mainly)? Be semi-specific if you can, i.e. medium baselayer, etc. Thanks all!!!

Off the top of my head I'd suggest stove, filter, and bladder/bottle. I use a CamelBak 100 oz. bladder and carry a 1 liter Nalgene. One friend usually brings his pump filter but if I can find the cash I'd like to get a gravity filter. My other friend brings his MSR Reactor. If I were buying, however, I'd get the MSR MicroRocket. I have a small wood burning stove that I was hoping to try this coming trip but looks like a fire ban is making that not an option.

Big question with a lot of answers...

For clothing, I keep it really simple. I don't worry much about stinking when I'm hiking and backpacking so I only carry what is necessary to stay warm and dry. This is typically what I would carry on a backpacking trip"

For the head: A good beanie is essential, even in the warmer months. Never leave home without it!

For my core: Short sleeve synthetic shirt for hiking, an ultralight downcoat and often an long sleeve synthetic shirt. If it gets very cold, I'll sometimes bring a second down coat (11 ounces). Layer all that together and I could practically winter camp.

For the legs: nylon convertible pants & underwear. For long trips, I bring an extra pair. :) If I were really worried about it getting super cold, I would bring a pair of long johns but honestly, every time I've ever packed them, I've never used them one time. Hell, back at the end of July, my friend Nate threw my convertible bottoms into the truck with some other things and I didn't realize until we made it to camp. So for three days, all I had were shorts. It wasn't that bad...

For rain: lately I've only been packing my GoLite poncho tarp. It's 7 oz and keeps me and my pack dry. If I were really concerned about more moisture, I would pack my Mountain Hardwear rain shell too.

Big question with a lot of answers...

an ultralight downcoat and often an long sleeve synthetic shirt.

For rain: If I were really concerned about more moisture, I would pack my Mountain Hardwear rain shell too.

Now can/would you layer those two together? Or would you go thick base layer and a rain shell to stay warm, dry and wind free?

you would layer this way, from inside to out, in worst case weather:

baselayer - windshirt - insulative layer (down puffy/fleece/etc...) - hardshell

For the head: A good beanie is essential, even in the warmer months. Never leave home without it!
Couldn't agree more! I always take one backpacking. I rarely need it, but it is SO worth it when it's needed.

This just got me thinking... I don't have one in my day pack. Better add that to the pack!

Beanie, wool socks, drink additives, rollin papers, spare headlamp, bandana, and last but never least moleskin and duct tape.

First AId kit small or large you choose and yes drink of choice

Couldn't agree more! I always take one backpacking. I rarely need it, but it is SO worth it when it's needed.

This just got me thinking... I don't have one in my day pack. Better add that to the pack!

I love my beanie!! I even wear it on hot summer days because I hate all kind of hats and caps. But a beanie - so light and you barely feel it on your head.
I never leave a trail head without it ;)

last but never least moleskin and duct tape.

I've found that standard athletic tape works much better.

31H%2BKU31FpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

that's because athletic tape is garbage. you get what you pay for. :cool:

i'm not a fan of mole skin. my problem with athletic tape is that it tends to get sticky on both sides - whereas gorilla tape is smooth. so over time, it gets sticky on the outside and creates friction and is uncomfortable.

i stand by leukotape. 16 bucks for a roll that lasts a couple years? seems reasonable.

You will get a million combinations..... lol.
What works for me: crux canister stove, MSR titanium kettle, MSR titanium cup, spoon, platypus 1liter bags (4) with a suck tube, usually micropur tabs but also have a Katydn filter, assorted silynylon stuff sacs. Wide brim hat, Micra rainjacket, rain pants (if a long trip), merino wool thermals top (bottoms if colder), zip off quick dry pants, quick dry long sleeve shirt, 3 prs socks, 1 change underwear, (nice to have clean stuff to sleep in), cocoon bag liner, short sleeve shirt, fleece jacket, thermal lightweight gloves, stocking cap (sleep in), lightweight windproof jacket. First aid kit tailored to me, tbrush, sm hair brush. Add a superzoom camera and fishing gear where needed. We usually do very long (60 to 100 mile thru trips)...ie Wind Rivers, Teton Highline, Sawtooths, Yellowstone, S Utah canyons, Uintas, etc. With food usually my pack is 40lbs less water. 115 mile Wind River traverse trip pack was 41lbs. Get quality light core items and keep try for 10lbs max... pack, bag, pad, tent.