Escalante Volcano

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Southern Utah Wanderings
Saturday, October 11, 2014

On Saturday morning we woke up before the sun came up and were able to watch the sunrise as we drove down the Old Sheffield Road to it's end near the Red Breaks. Today we would be hiking to the unusual sandstone formation known as the Escalante Volcano. This interesting landform is known by many names including the Red Breaks Crater, Cosmic Ashtray, Cosmic Navel and Islomania Dome, but I'm just going to stick to simply calling it the Volcano.

Watching the sunrise from along the Old Sheffield Road.

Sunrise Drive
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Morning light on a sandstone dome near the road.

Dome Light
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Sunrise view towards the Henry Mountains.

Spencer View
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I parked at the end of the road to start hiking the rest of the way. I ended up stopping where it looked like the road turned into a hiking trail, but there weren't any signs or anything stating that the road was closed beyond this point.

Trailhead Parking
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After hiking along the sandy trail for a short distance, we eventually reached the large expanse of slickrock that we would need to cross to reach the Volcano. It was much nicer than hiking in the sand.

Sandstone Hiking
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Jared crossing the white sandstone.

Sandstone Wandering
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The colorful sandstone in this area reminded me of exploring the Coyote Buttes area in northern Arizona.

Stone Shadows
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

We ended up taking a more direct approach to the Volcano which made for some steep climbing and descents, but it also meant that we initially approached the Volcano from above and got a nice look down into it.

Escalante Volcano
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Jared taking photos inside the crater for a little scale.

Inside
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The light at this time of the day wasn't ideal to photograph the entire crater, so I focused on some of the details inside.

Erosion
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Sand & Stone
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Island
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Another overview shot of the Volcano with my wide-angle lens.

Overview
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Parts of this area also reminded me of the White Pocket.

White Pocketish
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A teepee-shaped rock we passed on our hike back to the Jeep.

Teepee
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

There was plenty of colorful sandstone to explore in this area.

Colorful Hike
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After returning back to my Jeep at the end of the road, I decided to call it a trip and head home a day early. It had been a good week and I wanted to get back home so I could spend some time with Diane and relax before going back to work on Monday. We drove back to camp and I loaded up my gear before parting ways with Jared and driving back home.

On my drive back home I made a quick stop on Boulder Mountain to take a photo of the fall colors that were still hanging on up here.

Boulder Mountain Fall Color
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

>> Escalante Volcano Photo Gallery
>> The Original Trip Report on ADVENTR.CO

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

What a unique spot! Great TR and pics, I felt like I was there but by the time I finished I dissapointingly realized I was still at the house.

Is that sand inside the volcano? Its so monochromatic and smooth I can't really tell what it is. All and all it looks like you had a great trip with all your stops. Thanks for sharing Randy!

Is that sand inside the volcano? Its so monochromatic and smooth I can't really tell what it is. All and all it looks like you had a great trip with all your stops. Thanks for sharing Randy!
On his report a day or so ago I thought it was mud or water. It now looks like sand to me.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Is there water at Colt Mesa tank - Escalante Trip Planning 7
desertvic The Grand Staircase Escalante NM needs you! Meet Up (Members Only) 1
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
canadug Escalante area exploring Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
fossana A challenging week on the Escalante Overland Route Backpacking 21
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
radioradio Sad Cowboy Traverse - A Week in Escalante Backpacking 12
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
radioradio Anxious About Escalante Trip Planning 64
regehr Escalante dumpsters Trip Planning 9
regehr potable water in Escalante town? Trip Planning 6
D Fox Canyon Escalante? General Discussion 7
Janice Water questions - Escalante area Trip Planning 38
Duketogo13 BMT- Death Hollow-Escalante Triangle loop Trip Planning 20
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 The Gulch Escalante 4/17-4/18 Backpacking 2
RyanP Conditions (water/bugs) for Escalante/Death Hollow Trip Planning 27
J Escalante Natl. Mon. to Bryce N.P. the (unknown) Final Dayhikes April 15-16, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Lost in the Escalante .......... Blast from the Past Backpacking 6
Bob A short Escalante trip end of April Backpacking 5
swmalone Restaurant Suggestions for Escalante or Boulder General Discussion 11
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
swmalone Camping suggestions for Escalante in May Trip Planning 2
Muddy Waters Stevens, Fold, Escalante River, Fools, Kings Mesa Trip Reports 3
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
ramblinman Boulder Creek Day Hike, Escalante National Monument Hiking & Camping 5
M Ideas for 4 nights in Escalante Trip Planning 30
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
A 1st time backpacker in Escalante, UT Trip Planning 13
Stephanie B Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument - Kanab Area Hiking & Camping 2
Titans Permits car camping Grand Staircase Escalante NM? Trip Planning 6
Devin Ashby The Lower Gulch - Escalante (Seeking info on the route) Trip Planning 14
R Escalante River / Calf Creek Falls Current Conditions Trip Planning 10
cmgz Boulder Mail Trail - Escalante Trailhead to Mamie Creek Hiking & Camping 1
W Escalante River Backpacking Trip Planning 12
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
swmalone Rain, Mud, and Wind....First Trip to Escalante Area Hiking & Camping 16
canadug Current Escalante and Cap Reef Road conditons Trip Planning 17
JDWalters Access to Escalante River/Lake Powell near Cathedral in the Desert Trip Planning 7
regehr Escalante Jan 19 2019 Trip Planning 2
Jazzy Joe Looking for Escalante Area Short Backpacking Suggestions Early Spring Trip Planning 21
Nick Me love me some Escalante!! Backpacking 24
LarryBoy Water source information - Escalante/CRNP area Trip Planning 14
fossana Stephens Canyon Loop, part of Escalante Overland Route or ? Trip Planning 18