Escalante Area Wandering: Red Breaks

piper01

Day 2
Red Breaks was not one of the hikes I had originally planned on doing. From reading other trip reports, I knew it was a hike I would love, but that it was out of my league as a solo hiker. Fortuitously, a group I met returning from Zebra ended up camping nearby. We got to talking and I learned that they were hiking Red Breaks the next day. The were kind enough to invite me to join them, and I jumped at the opportunity!

We got a late start, between letting an additional couple who had arrived in the wee hours of the morning sleep in and waiting to see if the morning clouds would clear, which they did. The hike up the canyon was uneventful, with a smattering of tamarisks turning yellow and orange. We reached the first dryfall, then backtracked to find the cairns we had missed marking the bypass route.
2422_screenshot.PNG

Continuing upcanyon, I found this cool erosional surface filled in with clay between two sandstones.
2432_screenshot.PNG

After more hiking up the wide wash, the canyon walls finally began to narrow and the obstacles started appearing. The first were just small rocks that we could easily scramble over.
2451_paint_screenshot.PNG
(Please excuse the clumsy editing- I don't want to post strangers' faces without their awareness/permission).

IMG_2458.JPG

Then we hit a major obstacle: the boulder pile that you must go through rather than over. It was disconcerting wiggling through, hoping the boulders wouldn't choose that moment to dislodge and crush me. I definitely understood why you need at least 1 partner for this hike. Somebody had to pass the packs up, and it was nice to have a hand to grab at the top.
IMG_2464.JPG

Many of the obstacles we could just stem or bridge over.
IMG_2468.JPG

Any some of the canyon was (relatively) easy walking. IMG_2475.JPG

Then we hit more obstacles.
2484_paint.PNG

The canyon had some beautiful curves.
2491_screenshot.PNG

The slots of the main canyon ended and the walls opened up again. We took a break to have a snack and enjoy the view, then climbed out the left wall to bypass the dryfall we knew was coming up at the entrance to the West Fork. IMG_2500.JPG

Bypassing the dryfall. IMG_2509.JPG

Descending back into the West Fork.
2512_screenshot.PNG

The canyon walls had some intriguing features. I was mesmerized by how the white mineralization followed some of the foresets up then cut over to another one. IMG_2523_crop.jpg

And these features were just crazy!
2531_screenshot.PNG
IMG_2532.JPG

We clambered over two more major chokestones.
IMG_2535_Red Breaks.JPG

IMG_2538_Red Breaks.JPG

We needed a rope for the next obstacle we hit (I forgot to take a picture of it), and we were just about to hit our designated time to turn around for the return hike, so we called it a day and started the hike back. The sun was getting low in the sky and I caught a momentary glow on the canyon walls as we retraced our steps through the main branch.

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

This was an amazingly fun hike. Many thanks to the kind people who allowed me to experience it with them!

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
canadug Escalante area exploring Trip Planning 0
Janice Water questions - Escalante area Trip Planning 38
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
Stephanie B Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument - Kanab Area Hiking & Camping 2
swmalone Rain, Mud, and Wind....First Trip to Escalante Area Hiking & Camping 16
Jazzy Joe Looking for Escalante Area Short Backpacking Suggestions Early Spring Trip Planning 21
LarryBoy Water source information - Escalante/CRNP area Trip Planning 14
Kyle P Escalante Area Gear Stores General Discussion 14
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
swmalone Looking for Assistance to Introduction to Escalante Area Trip Planning 4
Nanda Escalante Area - Memorial Day weekend Hiking & Camping 5
Writhdar Escalante area - location? General Discussion 6
Writhdar Red Breaks Northeast & East Forks Loop? (Escalante area) General Discussion 3
Bob Escalante Area Backpacking 11
N Trip Recommendations- Grand Staircase Escalante Area 7 days Trip Planning 11
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Phipps Arch Hiking & Camping 2
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Cosmic Navel Hiking & Camping 4
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Brimstone and Spooky Hiking & Camping 2
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Golden Cathedral Hiking & Camping 3
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Bighorn Canyon Hiking & Camping 6
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Zebra and Tunnel Hiking & Camping 3
S Escalante Area Trip Report Hiking & Camping 0
Waynee-ack Backpacking destination needed in Escalante area. Trip Planning 11
Nick Short backpacking trips in the Escalante/Boulder area Trip Planning 20
gloo Death Hollow Escalante Area Trip Planning 13
B Is there water at Colt Mesa tank - Escalante Trip Planning 6
desertvic The Grand Staircase Escalante NM needs you! Meet Up (Members Only) 1
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
fossana A challenging week on the Escalante Overland Route Backpacking 21
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
radioradio Sad Cowboy Traverse - A Week in Escalante Backpacking 12
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
radioradio Anxious About Escalante Trip Planning 64
regehr Escalante dumpsters Trip Planning 9
regehr potable water in Escalante town? Trip Planning 6
D Fox Canyon Escalante? General Discussion 7
Duketogo13 BMT- Death Hollow-Escalante Triangle loop Trip Planning 20
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 The Gulch Escalante 4/17-4/18 Backpacking 2
RyanP Conditions (water/bugs) for Escalante/Death Hollow Trip Planning 27
J Escalante Natl. Mon. to Bryce N.P. the (unknown) Final Dayhikes April 15-16, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Lost in the Escalante .......... Blast from the Past Backpacking 6
Bob A short Escalante trip end of April Backpacking 5
swmalone Restaurant Suggestions for Escalante or Boulder General Discussion 11
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8