Escalante Area Gear Stores

Kyle P

A friend and I are flying into SLC on Saturday evening and will be heading down to the Escalante area first thing Sunday morning. Because we are flying in, we can not bring isobutane with us for the Jetboil. Does anyone have any recommendations on locations where we could stop along the way to pick some up? We will probably be out of the Salt Lake City area before 7 AM, so that eliminates most of those stores.

I found Utah Canyon Outdoors in Escalante, but they haven't answered any of my calls when trying to verify that they have isobutane in stock. Maybe someone can confirm for me that they do carry it?

Thanks!

Kyle

Thanks, that works. Should have thought of that.

I feel dumb now, ha.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had canisters in one of the two little stores in Boulder. There are also a few stores in Loa and Torrey that would probably carry them as well.

Wal-Mart in Salt Lake is a nice, safe bet though.

There is (or at least was) an outdoors store right next to the gas station at the junction of Highway 12 and 24 in Torrey. They had MSR and Camelback type banners up so I'm sure they have that kind of thing, assuming they are still there.

Escalante Outfitters is right in town Here is a screenshot of their store page
Screenshot (7)_LI.jpg

There is (or at least was) an outdoors store right next to the gas station at the junction of Highway 12 and 24 in Torrey. They had MSR and Camelback type banners up so I'm sure they have that kind of thing, assuming they are still there.

I would be curious to know if that store is still open. I have gone past it a couple of times and it looks like they might be out of business.

Another thought - just go to a 24 hour super walmart before you leave the Wasatch front area. I don't shop there, but they must have isobutane. If not, a Smith's Marketplace will. I imagine they probably open pretty early.

they do have it. I bought one there about 2 years ago on a trip

Thanks for all the help guys. We will start with the wal-mart near SLC, and if they for some reason don't have it, then I'll move on to the next location.

I guess wal-mart didn't occur to me because here in KC, I don't think they have a reason to carry isobutane.

Thanks,

Kyle

Escalante Outfitters always has isobutane cannisters in multiple sizes. The outdoor shop in Torrey at the Hwy 12 Hwy 24 junction has closed for good.

Escalante Outfitters always has isobutane cannisters in multiple sizes. The outdoor shop in Torrey at the Hwy 12 Hwy 24 junction has closed for good.
That business has not closed, they've just moved to a new location. Capitol Reef Outfitters, now located across the street from the Chuckwagon general store. They're in the big shed behind The Old House at Center & Main. Great store, they carry a lot of useful gear.

There are several gear stores down there. You will be able to get fuel if you do not obtain that before leaving SLC.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
canadug Escalante area exploring Trip Planning 0
Janice Water questions - Escalante area Trip Planning 38
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
Stephanie B Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument - Kanab Area Hiking & Camping 2
swmalone Rain, Mud, and Wind....First Trip to Escalante Area Hiking & Camping 16
Jazzy Joe Looking for Escalante Area Short Backpacking Suggestions Early Spring Trip Planning 21
LarryBoy Water source information - Escalante/CRNP area Trip Planning 14
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
swmalone Looking for Assistance to Introduction to Escalante Area Trip Planning 4
Nanda Escalante Area - Memorial Day weekend Hiking & Camping 5
Writhdar Escalante area - location? General Discussion 6
Writhdar Red Breaks Northeast & East Forks Loop? (Escalante area) General Discussion 3
Bob Escalante Area Backpacking 11
N Trip Recommendations- Grand Staircase Escalante Area 7 days Trip Planning 11
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Phipps Arch Hiking & Camping 2
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Cosmic Navel Hiking & Camping 4
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Brimstone and Spooky Hiking & Camping 2
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Golden Cathedral Hiking & Camping 3
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Bighorn Canyon Hiking & Camping 6
piper01 Escalante Area Wandering: Red Breaks Hiking & Camping 0
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Zebra and Tunnel Hiking & Camping 3
S Escalante Area Trip Report Hiking & Camping 0
Waynee-ack Backpacking destination needed in Escalante area. Trip Planning 11
Nick Short backpacking trips in the Escalante/Boulder area Trip Planning 20
gloo Death Hollow Escalante Area Trip Planning 13
B Is there water at Colt Mesa tank - Escalante Trip Planning 6
desertvic The Grand Staircase Escalante NM needs you! Meet Up (Members Only) 1
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
fossana A challenging week on the Escalante Overland Route Backpacking 21
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
radioradio Sad Cowboy Traverse - A Week in Escalante Backpacking 12
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
radioradio Anxious About Escalante Trip Planning 64
regehr Escalante dumpsters Trip Planning 9
regehr potable water in Escalante town? Trip Planning 6
D Fox Canyon Escalante? General Discussion 7
Duketogo13 BMT- Death Hollow-Escalante Triangle loop Trip Planning 20
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 The Gulch Escalante 4/17-4/18 Backpacking 2
RyanP Conditions (water/bugs) for Escalante/Death Hollow Trip Planning 27
J Escalante Natl. Mon. to Bryce N.P. the (unknown) Final Dayhikes April 15-16, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Lost in the Escalante .......... Blast from the Past Backpacking 6
Bob A short Escalante trip end of April Backpacking 5
swmalone Restaurant Suggestions for Escalante or Boulder General Discussion 11
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8