Electric Peak and Sportsman Lake, Yellowstone National Park - August 9, 2018

I'm having it made into a postcard and will sell it at the YNP stores, and don't worry, I'll be sure to give you guys credit with your names and all.

But what happened to your pantlegs in the Electric Pass group shot? Did a marmot eat the zippers while you were posing in the kilt?

YNP woman ranger speaking to @scatman : "Is anything worn under the kilt?
Scatman: "No my dear, it's all in good working order." :dance:

Art (helper engine) needed to cool down after helping everybody to the top of the pass. :)

That wouldn't be Ranger Elizabeth would it? She gave me some advice one time that I ignored about the east side of Shoshone Lake. I will not doubt her again, I can tell you that.

Art (helper engine) needed to cool down after helping everybody to the top of the pass. :)

That wouldn't be Ranger Elizabeth would it? She gave me some advice one time that I ignored about the east side of Shoshone Lake. I will not doubt her again, I can tell you that.
Did she tell you to never share your kilt? Is it called a kilt cause the last guy who called it a skirt got kilt? (har har, sorry) :)

another @scatman classic! Thanks for sharing the adventure. And kudos to your kids for their willingness (and I use that term loosely) to hike with you while you're wearing your kilt ... oh the stories they must tell their friends. And congrats on the climb up Electric Peak ... that last part looks pretty sketchy to me ... I think I would be fine climbing up it but coming down could be a problem. :twothumbs:

It has taken years for my kids to get use to the kilt. I keep asking them if they want one and they always respond with an emphatic, "No!"

I don't like down climbing much myself, particularly with my bum left knee.

I did notice you still have the red on your leg from your last trip. Maybe you should take Helper Engine Art along on every trip.

Great report @scatman. Glad you guys were able to recover from your altitude sickness lol. That final scramble up electric peak looks like a lot of fun. And are you sure Mike from California didn’t move away from you guys after seeing you and @Artemus walking around camp as conjoined kilt twins? If you guys walked up to him sharing the kilt and struck up a causal conversation, that would have gaurunteed him packing up and moving.

Oh, you had to bring up Mike didn't you? Mike changed his story so many times in the course of a couple of hours. First, he said he was going to stay at our campsite the next day and hike up Electric Peak like we had done. Then later, he said that he was going to hike out to his vehicle and drop some gear off because he was packing for two people. This second person was supposedly from the UK and could not get his green card renewed so they kicked him out of the country. They notified him on July 27th that he had to be out by the 30th, so three days to pack and leave. We met Mike on August the 10th, so he had eleven days to repack his pack for one. Then on the morning that we are heading up Electric Pass, I see Mike heading off towards Sportsman Lake with all his gear. As we approached the pass, there was a group headed the opposite direction, when i asked them where they were staying for the night they told me the campsite that we had just vacated that morning.

I think a kilt would have given Mike the proper mind set for the trail ahead.

I hope Mike survived the fire and the bears. He seemed to be quite nervous about bears.

Oh, you had to bring up Mike didn't you? Mike changed his story so many times in the course of a couple of hours. First, he said he was going to stay at our campsite the next day and hike up Electric Peak like we had done. Then later, he said that he was going to hike out to his vehicle and drop some gear off because he was packing for two people. This second person was supposedly from the UK and could not get his green card renewed so they kicked him out of the country. They notified him on July 27th that he had to be out by the 30th, so three days to pack and leave. We met Mike on August the 10th, so he had eleven days to repack his pack for one. Then on the morning that we are heading up Electric Pass, I see Mike heading off towards Sportsman Lake with all his gear. As we approached the pass, there was a group headed the opposite direction, when i asked them where they were staying for the night they told me the campsite that we had just vacated that morning.

I think a kilt would have given Mike the proper mind set for the trail ahead.

I hope Mike survived the fire and the bears. He seemed to be quite nervous about bears.

That’s a whole lot of lying!

Last edited:
Did she tell you to never share your kilt? Is it called a kilt cause the last guy who called it a skirt got kilt? (har har, sorry) :)

No, she told me not to paddle my canoe along the east shore of Shoshone Lake. We were staying at campsite 8S1 by the Lewis River. we were headed to campsite 8S4 and should have paddled across the narrows of the lake to get there. Ranger Elizabeth said that the east side gets really rough and there is no place to beach your boat because it is cliffy. Well, when me and my paddling partner awoke, the lake was like glass and we looked at each other and said, "We can make that." O'contraire my friend. We got about halfway along the east shore and things turned south on us quickly and lo and behold there was no place for us to land. The butt puckering on that paddle was a lot worse than the puckering on Electric Peak. So, always listen to Ranger Elizabeth.

I love it!!!!
Such an amazing trip. Electric Peak is on my bucket list for a long time, but I don't wanna go on my own. Maybe one day someone else would love to go.
Until then I follow your amazing Yellowstone adventures and sigh in awe.

Woohoo! Look at those legs! :frantic::giggle::uhhuh:
Any important loving figure that someone brings on the trail is good. Happy to see that adorable sock monkey. :twothumbs:
Any time you have a 'butt pucker' experience, I am frightened reading about it. Obviously though, you live to share the tale. Great report. Thanks!

I love it!!!!
Such an amazing trip. Electric Peak is on my bucket list for a long time, but I don't wanna go on my own. Maybe one day someone else would love to go.
Until then I follow your amazing Yellowstone adventures and sigh in awe.

If you can't find anyone else to go with you, I'd certainly do it again.