East Temple Peak - Wind River Range

Lowro

Flatlander
This past years (2018) trip to the Wind River Range was completing the remainder of the previous years (2017) trip that I was not able to finish due to being sick throughout that trip. Thankfully, I was feeling great this time. I was also fortunate to have beautiful weather once again. Probably even better. The days were warm but not hot like the previous year and the overnight temps were cold. It was perfect. In 2017, I did a loop that included the East Fork Valley, over Hailey pass, up over Lizard Head plateau then over Jackass pass. I intended to continue on to the Deep lake area but fought illness for most of the trip and had no energy left so I made my exit at that point. So this past year I made the 12 hour + drive to the trail head on September 2nd knowing it would be a busy weekend but coming in on Sunday, I was hoping I would be heading in as others were heading out. I was correct but that trail head was absolutely insane. I was fortunate enough to land a parking spot in the main lot. After the long drive, I was anxious to get moving. I took my time working my way up the trail. Dads lake pictured here was busy. Felt like I was at a local state rec area. I worked my way up towards Donald lake for a bit of solitude for the first night.
P1010201.JPG
The next morning I started moving up the Shadow lake trail.P1010271.JPG
My first glimpse at Shadow lake.
P1010293.JPG

P1010307.JPG

A look back at Billys lake.
P1010320.JPG

Small waterfall coming into Billys lake.
P1010336.JPG

A look ahead to Texas pass.
P1010349.JPG

Up where the wind blows......more.
P1010375.JPG

A look to the east.
P1010383.JPG

I made my way down the pass and spent some time exploring the area and finding a good campsite for the 2nd night. The next morning I hiked down into the Lizard Head Meadows and really enjoyed the area allot. I regret not having more time to keep going. Unfortunately, most of my pictures just did not turn out very well. This one is of a pond just above Papoose lake.P1010574.JPG

Lizard Head Peak. I really wanted to climb up the plateau for a picture. The view of Lizard Head from the plateau is breathtaking but I wasn't willing to make the hike for a pic. I'll just keep remembering last years visit.
P1010557.JPG

I would like to say I set up this shot on purpose but......not so. I wish the shot turned out a little better. Never been a photographer.
P1010427.JPG

This shot turned out a little better.
P1010546.JPG

It was finally time to make my way up over Jackass pass and up to Deep lake/East Temple Peak area. Clear lake brought me a good view of Haystack Mountain.P1010637.JPG

East Temple Peak. This is what I came for. To me....Absolutely Impressive!
P1010689.JPG

I worked my way over to Temple lake to set up camp and enjoy the area.
P1010700.JPG
P1010707.JPG

P1010713.JPG
P1010729.JPG

The next morning I made the hike up East Temple Peak.
P1010809.JPG

A look down the ridge of Haystack Mountain.
P1010822.JPG

As I made my way back down to break camp and head out to the trail head, it started a light rain. I wasted no time making my way down and out. A parting shot of Big Sandy Creek.
P1010883.JPG
Until later this year........

Attachments

• P1010524.JPG
    P1010524.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 26
I love it when people are able to get back out and finish something they started after first attempts were spoiled by weather, illness, injury, etc. And it's not everyday you get to read one's TR around the Towers that features a pic from atop East Temple. Well done!

Awesome! The view from East Temple is amazing. Is it as straight forward of a walk to the top as it looks from below?
Yes. There are a few use trails that head south from Temple Lake. It’s best to stay on the lower trail and continue up to Temple Pass and then follow the ridge north. I made the mistake of following the upper most trail that quickly disappeared which then had me scrambling in some dangerous terrain. The view was incredible.

I love it when people are able to get back out and finish something they started after first attempts were spoiled by weather, illness, injury, etc. And it's not everyday you get to read one's TR around the Towers that features a pic from atop East Temple. Well done!
Thank you. I first went to this area in 1987 as a teenager and never forgot it’s spectacular beauty. It took me 31 years to get back there after last years attempt. So glad I stuck to the plan.

Awesome trip report. I've had this one up in my browser for a few days just waiting to bust out my Wind River Range map and see where all you went. This seems like it was an incredible trip and you picked just the right time to go. How many days were you out for on this one?

Awesome trip report. I've had this one up in my browser for a few days just waiting to bust out my Wind River Range map and see where all you went. This seems like it was an incredible trip and you picked just the right time to go. How many days were you out for on this one?
It was 5 days and 4 nights. First day was a short one as I had a 12 hour drive in but wanted to at least get a start and acclimate a little bit. The third day was spent exploring around in the cirque and Lizard Head Meadows so it could certainly be done quicker if one wanted to.

Nice to get the one that got away. That is a beautiful area and the summit view is great. Hope you make it back to the Winds soon. About how long did it take you to round trip from the crest of the pass to the summit?

Nice to get the one that got away. That is a beautiful area and the summit view is great. Hope you make it back to the Winds soon. About how long did it take you to round trip from the crest of the pass to the summit?
Planning on returning in August. Round trip to the summit was probably around an hour from the Pass and half that time was spent taking in the view

Planning on returning in August. Round trip to the summit was probably around an hour from the Pass and half that time was spent taking in the view
Thanks for the info. Next time crossing the pass I’ll try to take the extra side trip up. I really like that pass for a big loop around Wind River Peak.