East Coast to Unitas Trip Recommendations

jimjangles52

If I fly into Salt lake whats the best trail head to enter in? I would be going in late august or early September. I want to avoid crowds and bugs. This would be a week long fishing trip. Any recommendations? Naturalist basin looks cool but I hear it is very crowded. I do not mind hiking but I would rather be fishing than hiking.I guess I could drive up to around 3 hours from Salt lake to whatever trailhead you guys think is best.

Bugs typically aren't much an issue at all in late August and early September. June and July are when they peak. The eastern end of the range, that is anything east of Kings Peak/Henry Fork area will be a lot less crowded than areas along the west. And anything along the Mirror Lake Highway along the western end are the areas that get hit the hardest by crowds and Naturalist Basin is part of that area. It will be interesting to see if that range and so many other popular recreational areas blow up again with crowds after restrictions are relaxed or not.

So many options... As Will said, I would avoid anything along Mirror Lake Highway if avoiding crowds is high on your lists. Mosquitoes are non-existent at that time of year. Even in a late snow year, they're pretty much gone by early August.

If we're combining fishing with avoiding crowds, I have two suggestions, both are entrances along the south. The first is to use the Swiftcreek Trailhead and hike up to Timothy and/or Farmers Lakes. The fishing is great up there and those lakes rarely see much in the way of traffic. There are about a dozen lakes in that area that are worth fishing and making a basecamp in that area for a few days would make for a nice trip. It is about a 12-mile hike in, there are a ton of lakes to explore, and there is an option to make it a minor loop.

The second suggestion would be to use the Lake Fork Trailhead and head towards Brown Duck Basin and potentially Squaw Basin from there. The TH itself can be busy because of Moon Lake, but almost no one hikes into the Uintas from there. The fishing is fast at Kidney Lake (there are a few kidney lakes in the Uintas). On your way out, stop at the north end of Moon Lake and drop your line in there as well. Good luck!!

Couple hours more drive... Get the wind rivers....way better fishing....and more

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Greetings from the East Coast Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
JDWalters East Coast noob here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
Tres Westbrook Down East Maine - Cutler Coast Preserve Trails Hiking & Camping 4
Flaminghog2099 East coast backpacking General Discussion 7
Vegan.Hiker East coast hiker visiting Utah Trip Planning 28
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
Dreamer Way, way Down East Backpacking 13
scatman East Millcreek Ridge - July 2, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
Duketogo13 Hello from the East Bay! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 17
zionsky ZNP East Entrance Visitor Center General Discussion 2
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
J How is the dirt road to the East Fork of Blacks Fork TH? Trip Planning 1
Ross Invite Boundary/Kolob/Narrows & East Fork Fat Man’s/Labyrinth Falls (Oct) Meet Up (Members Only) 4
regehr floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft? Trip Planning 3
Lowro East Temple Peak - Wind River Range Backpacking 13
chandlerwest Just Some Drainage in the East side of Zion Nat'l Park Hiking & Camping 9
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
Noun Sequitur El Malpais East, Lava Falls Trail Hiking & Camping 5
N Canyon Routes on East Side of Trachyte Creek Trip Planning 2
Perry Uinta Highline trail - East to West - Mission Accomplished! Backpacking 24
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
J Camping outside East entrance of Zion NP General Discussion 2
chandlerwest Zion Nat'l Park - Rim of the East Canyons Hiking & Camping 5
Perry Uinta Highline Trail - East to West Backpacking 21
Artemus Zion east entrance road closed General Discussion 1
Curt Grand Canyon --Tanner - Escalante Route - East Tonto - Grandview Backpacking 21
LarryBoy Beartooths - East/West Traverse (any/all advice welcome!) Trip Planning 15
Writhdar Red Breaks Northeast & East Forks Loop? (Escalante area) General Discussion 3
Ross Invite: Exploring Little Colorado's north rim + Colorado East Rim viewpts Trip Planning 3
blueeyes East Idaho backpacking suggestions Trip Planning 11
Ross Misery Canyon just east of Zion - west or east fork? Trip Planning 5
Christian Canyoneering East Blarney, Big Springs East, hiking to some less frequented areas in Moab Canyoneering 4
IntrepidXJ East Fork of Pollock Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
Desertrat East Cedar Mountain Hiking & Camping 4
Nick Choprock East Access Trip Planning 3
toejam East Deck Loop Hiking & Camping 4
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 5 on the East Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 2- East Side Hiking & Camping 5
Curt Bright Angel - East Tonto - Grandview Trails Backpacking 12
Ron Diel Noob from Out East Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
uinta_eagle Solo Uintas Loop From East Fork of the Bear Backpacking 5
ram East Face of Mix-Up Mountain Backpacking 4
Dave Boy Scouts kill bear at East Fork of the Bear General Discussion 17
Seldom Seen Anderson East Fork/Barracks Trip Planning 9