early september trip possibilities

McKee80

So, I probably have a week right after labor day for a backpacking trip. I went to Glacier last year and Ansel Adams the year before. I was considering these:

1. Wind River Range loop out of Green River, over knapsack col and back around
2. North Lake / South Lake over Lamarck Col in the Sierras
3. Bechler River area in Yellowstone
4. Teton Crest Trail

But then I started researching Washington state for my web project (damn that thing for making me look at way more places than I have time to go to) and I'm sort of becoming obsessed.

5. Spider Gap / Image Lake / Miners Ridge
6. Copper Ridge Loop / Whatcom pass / Tapto Lakes
7. Enchantments (I put in for a permit, but from what I hear, I'm more likely to win the powerball )

I'm looking for a week where once or twice I stay at the same camp and dayhike to passes or lakes or waterfalls. I don't want to have to haul a bunch of water around. Not looking to crush miles or anything. Don't want to see a ton of people, but don't need to be alone, either.

Do any of you more experienced folks have any opinions on the pluses and minuses of these options?

Thanks,
Sean

The Enchantments are great that time of year. If you can’t get a permit, you can hike through them and set up camp outside the area. A nice big loop goes clockwise up the Enchantments and back out Isicle Ridge. About 80 milesor so with big elevation change.

The Wonderland Trail is not on your list, but you should consider it. Perfect at that time of year.

If you don't get a permit for the Enchantments, I would highly recommend going to another location in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. Try a backpacking trip to Marmot Lake, Jade Lake and Pea Soup Lake (by Mt. Daniel). I can easily be done in two nights, if you wish, or more if you prefer -- there are other hikes and lakes in the area. Unfortunately, when I hiked these trails, it was early October, and the months-long clouds/rain had already set in. You would probably hit the area at a good time. Here's a description of the trail, with a few photos (not mine).
https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2017-07-29.2007859555
We used crampons on Jade Glacier, but I feel like microspikes would have been fine as well. If you ultimately consider this, feel free to send me a message if you'd like the GPX track, as there isn't a super clear trail to follow after Marmot Lake.

Bechler: If you have a day or two's flexibility and can get a permit for Dunanda Falls and Three Rivers Junction that's on of my favorite trips.

49204728_10157098431434917_5140745029161058304_o.jpg

The Teton Crest is magnificent but populated in certain areas. The mountains West of Jackson Lake see exponentially less pressure.

What about going off trail from Brooks Lake Area and following the Divide Crest to Marston Pass and Beyond? I am shocked but so glad the CDT doesn't go up there. So much flower filled plateau tops with occasional drops and rises.

46513858_10157003010759917_107780623745155072_o.jpg

Wherever you go I hope you have a wonderul time and may the trail and route rise to meet you.

Whoa. Thanks everyone! Sounds like I can’t lose. And I have more routes to dig into!

The Winds are exceptional that time of year...two years ago we did a 60 miles loop the week after Labor Day from Big Sandy over the CIrque, Lizard Head Pass etc...had amazing weather.
Last year we went two weeks earlier due to other commitments...still great weather except for one two hour rain event.

I came across this thread while searching for info about the Wonderland trail. Have you decided what you'll be doing? FYI We hiked the Copper Ridge loop a few years ago and loved it. I can't compare to the other places, though.

Have you decided what you'll be doing?

Funny you should ask, I’m getting my gear together, leave in 9 days. We struck out on enchantments, wonderland, and copper ridge lotteries. Decided on a trip around kings canyon, then changed my mind again. We’re heading to the east side of the sierra to hone our off trail skills in the granite park / bear lakes basin area. I’m close enough to the trip where every day seems like a week and a half. Trip report will be forthcoming for sure!

If I’m lucky enough to get out west again next year, I’ll be more on the ball on the Washington trips. Are you doing the wonderland trail? It looks amazing!

Funny you should ask, I’m getting my gear together, leave in 9 days. We struck out on enchantments, wonderland, and copper ridge lotteries. Decided on a trip around kings canyon, then changed my mind again. We’re heading to the east side of the sierra to hone our off trail skills in the granite park / bear lakes basin area. I’m close enough to the trip where every day seems like a week and a half. Trip report will be forthcoming for sure!

If I’m lucky enough to get out west again next year, I’ll be more on the ball on the Washington trips. Are you doing the wonderland trail? It looks amazing!
Hope you have a great trip! We're interested in Wonderland for next summer. Sounds like it's hard to get permits, though...